History of FoH

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I recall getting PK'd by a group of red folks on horses with a (FoH) tag in UO while I was macroing taming on a trapped dragon, back around 1997-98. I played exclusively on Sonoma. Never played EQ, was too poor to buy a gfx card until just before WOW closed beta when I finally got a job during college. Been a lurker since 2002 (hello, Screenshots). Some weird shit has gone down in these forums.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I used to frequent EQMaps and Allakhazam's until they got greedy and charged. I was also on Innoruuk forums and EverLore, but they didn't update enough. Fates collided when I heard about the Avatar of War. It's damage output was unbelievable, how could people survive that? I became a we bit obsessed. I first found Afterlife and then FoH - FoH had more content and a better aesthetic - I've been hooked since. I was a roleplayer and I enjoyed Furor's storytelling.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My RL friends and I used to harass Triton. We managed to get one of our forum accounts moderator status and promptly deleted their forum and replaced it with Icy Hot Stuntaz images. Some Triton members lived in the same city as us and were so pissed they arranged to meet us downtown for a fight.

icyhot.jpg

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was in Conquest on Lanys T'Vyl, and started coming here around '02 to see what the other top dogs were up to. Used my character name until '05, when I switched to this.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I was in Conquest on Lanys T'Vyl, and started coming here around '02 to see what the other top dogs were up to. Used my character name until '05, when I switched to this.

Fuck, I'd forgotten about Conquest. Weren't they the first to post vanilla wow strats?

• 1Like

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ya, much of the guild, including leadership, jumped ship to WoW during GoD.

• 1Like

Cybsled

That happened with a good chunk of Element of Darkness / The Relentless (BFA)...people got sick of EQ during end of PoP/GoD and played WoW.

Most quit after a month or so. I remember Xate trying to lead us in UBRS and we wiped in the arena event part and he rage quit the server/guild lol. What was left merged with Brotherhood of the Spider (Drow) in WoW.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
There were rampant rumors of FoH being in tight with GMs and devs, getting peeks of strats, etc ahead of other guilds and sploits such as bandaging under the ground.

All I remember was Furor bitching about Afterlife, "Leet beta strats". And, I think he also accused Thott of being in with the GMs, as well.

• 2Like

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I was no where near high level when I played EQ back in the golden age, but I did play a monk so my memories of FoH had to do with Furor being such a whiney pussy about the monks ability to tank that SoE forever broke monks with their nerfs. I loved monks so fuck him.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dont think that was Sean, thought it was Karae(sp).

Pretty sure Karae left to join CT because he was cybering their leader (Tess?), remember they gave me one of our first sets of elemental legs and he got pissed and left for them.

• 2Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure Karae left to join CT because he was cybering their leader (Tess?), remember they gave me one of our first sets of elemental legs and he got pissed and left for them.
Rumor was he tapped it at fan thing which I can't blame him. If Bakara is still around he might be able to confirm/deny. Speaking of Bakara his livestream that wiped the raid in ToV was amaze balls. I hope him and his GF got bonus loot for that.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I was no where near high level when I played EQ back in the golden age, but I did play a monk so my memories of FoH had to do with Furor being such a whiney pussy about the monks ability to tank that SoE forever broke monks with their nerfs. I loved monks so fuck him.

Ya, me and Furor used to get into spats on the board about monk defense/viability, with him thinking plate>all and fuck non-mitigation tanking (monk AC was mostly avoidance AC, which is why monks had to keep their weight down...if you passed like 18 or 20 pounds or whatever, you lost your avoidance AC). Plus he wanted damage nerfs. I believe the term "dragon foreskin" armor on monks was used by him lol

• 1Like

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Rumor was he tapped it at fan thing which I can't blame him. If Bakara is still around he might be able to confirm/deny. Speaking of Bakara his livestream that wiped the raid in ToV was amaze balls. I hope him and his GF got bonus loot for that.

They were dating for a long while. Pretty sure it ended up with him hitting her while they were on a meth binge.

I love telling the story of the magical banana on the ToV raid. Pretty sure this was right after a patch broke eq windows so the only way to watch the webcam was to exit eq. Nothing like the 2nd attempt on a server first being shit on cause people wanted to see a banana be hidden in someones fallopian tube.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
They were dating for a long while. Pretty sure it ended up with him hitting her while they were on a beth binge.

I love telling the story of the magical banana on the ToV raid. Pretty sure this was right after a patch broke eq windows so the only way to watch the webcam was to exit eq. Nothing like the 2nd attempt on a server first being shit on cause people wanted to see a banana be hidden in someones fallopian tube.

lol wat?

• 1Like

Vedette

<Donor>
Daegarmo was a bro, I'd tell him "hey I had xxx gear accidentally get deleted" and he'd just GM conjure shit up. Got a lot of nice free gear that way.

Which GM did we have the going away party for in WC? I loved that guy.

• 2Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Was never on Veeshan, but have been lurking since the dawn of time.

My understanding was that Furor was originally a rogue named Kalaran, was the first 50 (outside of some exploiting Druid), and decided to re-roll as Kartak Dorfbruiser, the ogre warrior. Kartak was level 50, full planar, etc, when he was banned for using some crafting kiln exploit to transfer some nondrop gear. It was at this point that he re:rolled as Furor, using the naggy teeth, etc to hit level 50 in ~7 days played, which was unheard of at the time.

Known early history involves drama around Myrlynn (can't remember specifically) and Zamatil the chanter and a few others moving to Stormhammer ( the premium server) - also don't remember what the story was around this.
Yea, he was Kalaran. Him, some other rogue (who's name started with K as well, I think), Zamtil and a healer (druid?) power leveled to 50 using the early form of 'whirl till you hurl'. It would stun and spin the mob, so each rogue could stand there and backstab it and you didn't need a real tank. Rogues had highest sustained dps, so it was a very efficient way to maximize exp.

FoH rose to fame when they killed the first dragon ever, Vox, but it was really just all the highest levels on the server at that point, among multiple guilds. I remember seeing screenshots of it, GMs even showed up to witness, and there was a ton of different guild tags among everyone. Guessing his fame from being first lvl 50 and organizing the event to kill the dragon is what spearheaded more of the people joining FoH and making them the top guild. I remember the high levels on our server trying to do it a few days later, but failing. From what I heard, she wasn't working correctly on the first kill, Verant hadn't expected anyone to try it yet and also not with dozens of people. Maybe the AE breath or her heal wasn't working yet? idk. So, she was sorta 'too easy' as far as how she'd be later, but it being the first ever 'raid' it was still tough to pull off. Like, she was impossible for a normal group to do, but they hadn't considered someone bringing 20-30 people to do it. She melee'd for a lot, no one could really tank her, but you also didn't really have a 'main tank' concept yet. She'd just ping pong around and you tried to kill her quicker then she killed you, healing people where you could.

I also remember Nagafen took longer to down, but I don't remember why. Maybe his AE breath was working from the start?

Anyway, at some point he decided it was more important for the guild to be a tank and the best race for tanks were Ogres with their frontal stun immunity. That was Kartak, who got banned during the Plane of Fear days for exploiting a nodrop bug. The thing was, for various reasons players would need to switch to alts to help the guild, and then loot for their main would drop off trash mobs which would now rot instead. Anyone who raided back then should be familiar with this scenario. So, while he was using the bug, he was often doing it to get around some of the shitty design we were all suffering through. Getting banned for it made him pissed at Verant, hence the 'Furor' name. Since he was the raid leader and main tank, they powerleveled the hell out of his new character. It wasn't just the dragon's teeth, though that was a big part, but also multiple people all helping. One person pulling mobs, others buffing his pet, dps to kill the mob after he/his pet did 50% of the damage, etc.. I was hanging out in IRC back then, when it happened, and remember hearing the planning of it all. Was very impressive how quick he got back to 50.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember joining Kreugen's group during LDoN. it was like 1pm UTC and you were already playing. When I left the group 6 hours later, you kept on playing. I wonder how many of you were behind the screen. I don't think you wrote more than "LFG ?" then 6 hours later "bye"

• 1Like

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Yea, he was Kalaran. Him, some other rogue (who's name started with K as well, I think), Zamtil and a healer (druid?) power leveled to 50 using the early form of 'whirl till you hurl'. It would stun and spin the mob, so each rogue could stand there and backstab it and you didn't need a real tank. Rogues had highest sustained dps, so it was a very efficient way to maximize exp.

FoH rose to fame when they killed the first dragon ever, Vox, but it was really just all the highest levels on the server at that point, among multiple guilds. I remember seeing screenshots of it, GMs even showed up to witness, and there was a ton of different guild tags among everyone. Guessing his fame from being first lvl 50 and organizing the event to kill the dragon is what spearheaded more of the people joining FoH and making them the top guild. I remember the high levels on our server trying to do it a few days later, but failing. From what I heard, she wasn't working correctly on the first kill, Verant hadn't expected anyone to try it yet and also not with dozens of people. Maybe the AE breath or her heal wasn't working yet? idk. So, she was sorta 'too easy' as far as how she'd be later, but it being the first ever 'raid' it was still tough to pull off. Like, she was impossible for a normal group to do, but they hadn't considered someone bringing 20-30 people to do it. She melee'd for a lot, no one could really tank her, but you also didn't really have a 'main tank' concept yet. She'd just ping pong around and you tried to kill her quicker then she killed you, healing people where you could.

I also remember Nagafen took longer to down, but I don't remember why. Maybe his AE breath was working from the start?

Anyway, at some point he decided it was more important for the guild to be a tank and the best race for tanks were Ogres with their frontal stun immunity. That was Kartak, who got banned during the Plane of Fear days for exploiting a nodrop bug. The thing was, for various reasons players would need to switch to alts to help the guild, and then loot for their main would drop off trash mobs which would now rot instead. Anyone who raided back then should be familiar with this scenario. So, while he was using the bug, he was often doing it to get around some of the shitty design we were all suffering through. Getting banned for it made him pissed at Verant, hence the 'Furor' name. Since he was the raid leader and main tank, they powerleveled the hell out of his new character. It wasn't just the dragon's teeth, though that was a big part, but also multiple people all helping. One person pulling mobs, others buffing his pet, dps to kill the mob after he/his pet did 50% of the damage, etc.. I was hanging out in IRC back then, when it happened, and remember hearing the planning of it all. Was very impressive how quick he got back to 50.

I was chilling in EK at the bridge when a bunch of players on one of the first Vox raids had evac’d out there. It was mind blowing shit hearing them talk about it. It was a random collection of guild tags. At that point there were a few different guilds with level 50s but FoH had the majority and that plus the fact that Furor was probably the best guild leader in EQ led to most of the players at the top end joining them eventually. Once that got set the path to loot was always going to go through foh.

• 1Like