History thread

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Ok so one question I have, so the muslims were stonewalled at Constantinople due to geography. Why didn't they go up through Georgia/Armenia/Ukraine -> Europe? Who was stopping them there? I've never really seen any discussion of that area/front in the 500AD-1000AD time frame.

Different Khanates, depending on the point in history. At the start it was the Turkic Khanate (Cousins to the Mongols). Pretty nasty bunch, were giving everyone shit, and they didn't have anything anyone else wanted. Given the size of their lands and migratory nature, it meant that you probably couldn't control them all (And like Afghanistan, there was nothing there to make up for the losses even if you could.) So the only thing you could do is take an area so you can travel though, but these people were already attacking their neighbors quite a bit with raids, so a supply line through their territory was probably seen as a very costly.

After a while too, it became less about territory and more about ideology. Muhammad wrote it into his manual that Rome was evil and you went to heaven for killing Rome. While I'm sure he did that because his primary enemy was Rome at the time, after his death that became rather hardwired. So mustering up resources to fight Romans was probably easier than going off and expanding elsewhere.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
A couple things to keep in mind about that period.

Dont underestimate the weakness of the Byzantines during the 600s. Justinian was a horrific ruler between the Nika Riots and the draining the treasury on such things as the Hagia Sophia. The empire, not fully recovered from the Hunnic invasions, receded even more, creating a power vacuum that allowed the new Arab power to fill.

Another thing to consider is that Arab armies had a really, really good leader in Umar I. As far as underrated historical figures, this guy is way up there with Caesar or Napoleon.

After the Byzantines got their asses throughly kicked at Yarmouk, they retreated behind their walls and ceded the ground to the Arabs.

Heraclius and the Early Islamic Conquests: An Analysis of Byzantine Military Failure at the Battle of Yarmuk in AD 636 |

Last edited:
  • 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ok so one question I have, so the muslims were stonewalled at Constantinople due to geography. Why didn't they go up through Georgia/Armenia/Ukraine -> Europe? Who was stopping them there? I've never really seen any discussion of that area/front in the 500AD-1000AD time frame.

The Armenian region and the southern end of the Caucasus mountains had been marches or buffer states for a literal half millennium. Trajan went and ran apeshit over the Mesopotamian region (arguably the apex of the Roman Empire) in the start of the 2nd century and was followed by Hadrian and then others taking defensive approaches and perpetuating the region into buffers, clients, marches, etc. There were actually huge stretches of literal no man's land between Romans and Persians. The no man's land aspect (but not the satellites) even re-emerged bigger than ever once the Islamic vs Christian balance settled down in later centuries.

Going north through the Caucasus was a fool's errand. That region above Georgia (modern Chechnya etc) is geographically terrible. There were Roman settlements at the base of the Crimean Peninsula and at estuaries but they didn't bother to really expand that way either; it wasn't some unique Islamic shortcoming. In fact, Islamic expansion would be even more hindered because Constantinople's location meant the Black sea was a Roman lake, so even if they did manage to get up to Rostov and beyond what's the point? The best analogy I can give, which isn't THAT close, is how the Islamic spread skipped the northwest part of Iberia because it was a bunch of hills and scattered minor villages and not worth the effort it would take to subjugate for no real reward.

Islam was spreading east of the Caspian though. One of my favorite strange instances in history is that the Abbasid Caliphate and the Tang Dynasty ended up fighting in the middle of Asia: Battle of Talas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 1Like

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Armies tend to move east <---> west and not north <---> south for obvious reasons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Cause the mongols shitstomped them through those routes of invasion

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Before that it was the huns, before that khazars, scythians and sarmatians, just to name a few. Someone mentioned mountain barriers to get passed to go north, the caucus mountains. Once you get passed that the area was inhabited by horse societies for a long long time because it's nothing but eurasian steppe.

Mongols, Huns, Sarmations, Scythian, khazars there's a ton of nomadic pastoral societies that lived their throughout history and were near impossible to conquer because they aren't tied to the land like agricultural societies are. land armies had trouble dealing with an enemy who for the most part have nothing to defend. There's no real land to conquer with those societies because they're nomads so they just run away till you run out of supplies then wait to attack when you're weak.

Darius I almost died to them for example with a large army.

eurasian steppe belt
Eurasian_steppe_belt.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not until around 1200

THE Mongols weren't until 1200 but there were Mongolians, or more accurately Turkic and central Asian groups, obviously well before then. That entire stretch of the silk road overland is lined with settlement, as are all the river valleys on the many large Russian rivers. You read historical accounts and you have these tribes coming in and crashing down on places, like completely displacing ancient Greece, constantly bombarding the Roman Empire, battering China, etc. They are coming from somewhere - that somewhere is very often the southern portion of these Asian river valleys - modern Russia and the Stans.

Classical civilizations were trading with the base of the Rostov, Greeks founded a couple cities (eg Tanais) in the 6th century BC. There were people there, and enough of them to have a trade economy, and they were most likely dwarfed by the populations along the Volga - one of the most geographically prime rivers in the world.

• 1Like

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Yeah, I mean I think it was obviously the trade routes that attracted them. Thats where the money is. There is no incentive to invade or move away from those area. I think those events depend on so many factors. Would Genghis ever have conquered the world if the Plateau didn't have perfect weather at just the right time?

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Different Khanates, depending on the point in history. At the start it was the Turkic Khanate (Cousins to the Mongols). Pretty nasty bunch, we're giving everyone shit, and they didn't have anything anyone else wanted. Given the size of their lands and migratory nature, it meant that you probably couldn't control them all (And like Afghanistan, there was nothing there to make up for the losses even if you could.) So the only thing you could do is take an area so you can travel though, but these people were already attacking their neighbors quite a bit with raids, so a supply line through their territory was probably seen as a very costly.

After a while too, it became less about territory and more about ideology. Muhammad wrote it into his manual that Rome was evil and you went to heaven for killing Rome. While I'm sure he did that because his primary enemy was Rome at the time, after his death that became rather hardwired. So mustering up resources to fight Romans was probably easier than going off and expanding elsewhere.
Again, my only source is this podcast, so I could be wrong.

But he mentions that the Khanates were fierce as fuck, your typical steppe warrior tribes, in addition to them not having much of value. But he also talks about internal divisions within the Caliphate around the time following the siege of 717. Not civil war necessarily, but division. Muslama got annihilated between the siege and the travel home, and by the time he got home there was internal division/Caliphate politics to work out, then there were Eastern threats (probably more steppe tribes, can't remember) that pulled the Caliphate focus away from conquering Rome. At the point I'm at in the story, roughly 800, the Arabs are raiding Roman settlements, but the Romans have basically rolled up into fortified cities/areas making the spoils of raids less fruitful. And the Caliphate as a whole seems to be declining.

he also mentions that Muslama was not seen as a failure or dishonored, as he might have been if he were Roman. He went on to govern Iraq, which is a huge post in the Caliphate.

For reasons that are not clear, be it technology or lack of willpower or whatever, the Arabs do not seem to really engage in siege warfare.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Geography? The caucuses tallest point is over 18000ft. Fighting in mountains is hard. Spain and France is similar with the Pyrenees separating them.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester

But he mentions that the Khanates were fierce as fuck, your typical steppe warrior tribes, in addition to them not having much of value. But he also talks about internal divisions within the Caliphate around the time following the siege of 717. Not civil war necessarily, but division. Muslama got annihilated between the siege and the travel home, and by the time he got home there was internal division/Caliphate politics to work out, then there were Eastern threats (probably more steppe tribes, can't remember) that pulled the Caliphate focus away from conquering Rome. At the point I'm at in the story, roughly 800, the Arabs are raiding Roman settlements, but the Romans have basically rolled up into fortified cities/areas making the spoils of raids less fruitful. And the Caliphate as a whole seems to be declining.

he also mentions that Muslama was not seen as a failure or dishonored, as he might have been if he were Roman. He went on to govern Iraq, which is a huge post in the Caliphate.

For reasons that are not clear, be it technology or lack of willpower or whatever, the Arabs do not seem to really engage in siege warfare.

Just unexamined, ancient, cultural assumptions maybe?

When you're a bedouin tribe moving from water to water, is there ever any point in a siege? Whoever has the water wins. Thinking otherwise isn't a way to fight, it's just suicide. It's also a particularly slow and wasteful (if effective) method of warfare, so there may be some philosophical reservations. Yeah... we could sit out here for six months and shoot arrows at them or throw rocks at them, and kill some stragglers. Oooooor... we could not do that.

• 2Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
My latest history was a biography of Muhammad. But that marks about my 10th book on Arabia and Islam alone this year. I think I'm done with Arabia for now. I've done America, Western Europe, Rome, and have dabbled in Ancient Greece and Communist China, and now I guess I've done Arabia. Maybe it's time for me to do what chaos and apparently a bunch of you are doing, Byzantium and the Eastern empire. But having just come off Muhammad, maybe I'll keep with the Skulls for the Skull Throne theme and study the Golden Horde. Did they write?

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I mean I think it was obviously the trade routes that attracted them. Thats where the money is. There is no incentive to invade or move away from those area. I think those events depend on so many factors. Would Genghis ever have conquered the world if the Plateau didn't have perfect weather at just the right time?
a lot of history is dependent on geography and climate. in fact, it is perhaps one single major factor in determining fall and rise of either an empire or a civilization. Roman Empire fell because of climate changes in the north, aided by corrupt and decadent aristocracy. Khanate fractured due to shear geographical size and diversity of climate. Mongols never really pushed deep into Europe due to mountainous regions in Hungary and fucked up terrain unlike the Rus and Kievans.

Really interesting point about Mongol yoke in the Russia. They mainly just extracted tributes and pillages time to time. Nothing worth noting of conquest and assimilation. Probably because there is really nothing worth taking.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Yeah, the Stepped people were in general just nasty, vicious fuckers. As others pointed out, most urban based civilizations had a lot of difficulty dealing with them because most tactics/logistics were developed around civilizations who had, well, urban centers. So taking territory against nomads for them was just extremely difficult. And whenever these nomadic groups swept out of plains, as Yerb said, they gave urban civilizations a lot of grief. Obviously the most famous being the Huns or the Mongols (The huns were Tukric like the group currently ruling in this time period, the mongols were distinct but they both lived in the same latitude band, and developed nomadic life styles because of the environment)

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I know we abstractly hear about how the Muslims were at the gates of Vienna after 1453. I had no idea about these battles and war though.

Here's what I've been reading this morning:

Siege of Vienna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Austro-Turkish War (1663–64) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Great Turkish War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God damn it I had no idea Muslims had been this aggressive towards Europe even in the Rennaissance. Like we're learning about Michelangelo and Shakespeare and shit and the Muslim hordes were literally at the gates.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I know we abstractly hear about how the Muslims were at the gates of Vienna after 1453. I had no idea about these battles and war though.

Here's what I've been reading this morning:

Siege of Vienna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Austro-Turkish War (1663–64) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Great Turkish War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God damn it I had no idea Muslims had been this aggressive towards Europe even in the Rennaissance. Like we're learning about Michelangelo and Shakespeare and shit and the Muslim hordes were literally at the gates.

Oh yes, the Ottomans were the worlds superpower at the time. They had colonies in Europe, and were aggressively looking for more territory, they even took over a million European slaves--literally ripped them right from the coast lines. There were numerous times throughout the Renaissance that the only reason the Ottomans didn't gain large footholds in Europe was due to the Holy League, and other alliances that overcame active wars between European states. It was constant, century after century. We're talking 300+ years of outright aggression. Followed by a century of a kind of cold war during the early colonial period (Age of sail) by the European powers. Centuries of this shit was visited on Europe by the Islamic world, and all of you ever hear about is the one counter attack period known as the Crusades.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Oh yes, the Ottomans were the worlds superpower at the time. They had colonies in Europe, and were aggressively looking for more territory, they even took over a million European slaves--literally ripped them right from the coast lines. There were numerous times throughout the Reinsurance that the only reason the Ottomans didn't gain large footholds in Europe was due to the Holy League, and other alliances that overcame active wars between European states. It was constant, century after century. We're talking 300+ years of outright aggression. Followed by a century of a kind of cold war during the early colonial period (Age of sail) by the European powers. Centuries of this shit was visited on Europe by the Islamic world, and all of you ever hear about is the one counter attack period known as the Crusades.
Crusade changed the Christian world though to an effective measure. It changes dynasties overseas.. king and princes joining crusade and often dying or captured. Travelling freely to Germany, france, Spain, and Byzantium and witnessing untold riches and prosperity. I read a story of last Wessex King of England (before William the conqueror) and the dude visited Sicily, German states, Jerusalem and possibly Spain. The amount of christians exchanging their culture and building common thread of purpose gave rise to several new factors which I cannot recollect right now.

And the amount of new knowledge being poured into Europe after fourth crusade (raping the remaining Byzantium capital) and pillaging libraries and shit.

Crusade was an awesome time for Europe.

• 1Like