Hogwarts Legacy

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
I only hear about this shit from you guys here on these forums and I read plenty of game news and basically live on the internet.

There's a simple solution to idiots online spouting bullshit (or "creators" farming views by complaining about other idiots): Don't read them, don't watch them, and downvote when you see them. After a short while this stuff won't appear in your feeds any more and for all practical purposes it doesn't exist. Some loud but vanishingly small group of people somewhere is wrong? So fucking what? If you keep seeing it, it's because you're implicitly opting in to maintaining your sense of outrage. Curate your own mental state and just turn it off.

These people/ideas, much like Ossoi, are what ignore functions were invented for.
I usually report them for pedophilia and racism.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
deluxe and CE get 3 day early access to game

1673464323069.png

yer a wizard deluxe edition owner, Harry

2ntc8mxnnoj91.png

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Repost
Reactions: 7 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe I just don’t frequent the same sites you all do or my algorithm isn’t poisoned by Nerdrotic/Quartering trash, but I haven’t heard any “outcry” against this game except for a random Twitch chatter or two dropping the word “terf” or whatever the fuck those offended people call Jk Rowling now
I only hear about this shit from you guys here on these forums and I read plenty of game news and basically live on the internet.

There's a simple solution to idiots online spouting bullshit (or "creators" farming views by complaining about other idiots): Don't read them, don't watch them, and downvote when you see them. After a short while this stuff won't appear in your feeds any more and for all practical purposes it doesn't exist. Some loud but vanishingly small group of people somewhere is wrong? So fucking what? If you keep seeing it, it's because you're implicitly opting in to maintaining your sense of outrage. Curate your own mental state and just turn it off.

These people/ideas, much like Ossoi, are what ignore functions were invented for.
It doesn't matter if you ignore it. The developer and publisher of the game most definitely did not ignore it, and they have made design decisions to try to appease the mob of lunatics (who, again, very likely never would have bought it in the first place, but corporate decision making is the business equivalent of a fainting goat nowadays). Shunning the creator of the IP instead of getting her input for the story as much as possible doesn't exactly bode well either.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Shunning the creator of the IP instead of getting her input for the story as much as possible doesn't exactly bode well either.

After what she wrote with no one telling her "no" in Cursed Child and the Fantastic Beasts Trilogy, removing her input is probably for the best.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It doesn't matter if you ignore it.

Sure it does, though admittedly perhaps not for this one game. If we don't give oxygen to the arguments of lunatics then developers will learn that they can be safely ignored. It's about the long-term principle. Arguing with the mob is exactly what they want because at the core they're just after attention and self-importance.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sure it does, though admittedly perhaps not for this one game. If we don't give oxygen to the arguments of lunatics then developers will learn that they can be safely ignored. It's about the long-term principle. Arguing with the mob is exactly what they want because at the core they're just after attention and self-importance.
I meant it doesn't matter if you ignore it, because you (and I and most likely everyone else here) don't matter. I agree that this particular game is an extreme example because of just how much vitriol is being thrown around even after the studio groveled. Mainly because Rowling has fuck-you money and continues to say whatever the hell she wants and it's impossible for a studio making a game based on her IP to completely distance themselves from her.

What you're missing is that it's not just the lunatics themselves, it's the ones (also lunatics, but a different kind of lunatic) who have nothing better to do than spend all day getting offended on their behalf. It's the ones who work for the companies and push all this shit internally. And now worst of all, it's the investors who demand an ESG score before they'll even talk to a studio about funding (see: recent CDPR news, among others). All this has been going on for the better part of a decade and things will continue to get worse before there's any sign of it getting better, so I hope your long-term principle is a really long-term one.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I meant it doesn't matter if you ignore it, because you (and I and most likely everyone else here) don't matter. I agree that this particular game is an extreme example because of just how much vitriol is being thrown around even after the studio groveled. Mainly because Rowling has fuck-you money and continues to say whatever the hell she wants and it's impossible for a studio making a game based on her IP to completely distance themselves from her.

What you're missing is that it's not just the lunatics themselves, it's the ones (also lunatics, but a different kind of lunatic) who have nothing better to do than spend all day getting offended on their behalf. It's the ones who work for the companies and push all this shit internally. And now worst of all, it's the investors who demand an ESG score before they'll even talk to a studio about funding (see: recent CDPR news, among others). All this has been going on for the better part of a decade and things will continue to get worse before there's any sign of it getting better, so I hope your long-term principle is a really long-term one.
I don't think I'm missing that. Companies kowtowing to mob nonsense are generally the same ones producing boring shit that I wasn't going to buy anyway. Bureaucratic risk aversion was going to fuck up the product even if this didn't. If the end result of this is that game development moves away from massively centralized corporate funding, maybe that's a good thing.

And yes, I take a really long-term view. Society just doesn't move that fast. This has been building for a couple decades. The choice now is either to wrestle with the pigs and get dirty, which is what they want, or don't and live with a possibly reduced product landscape. The idea that an ideology with this kind of momentum is going to be defeated overnight by shouting back just isn't realistic.

Vote with your attention.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I hope she sues the fucking shit out of them but I don’t know she has the balls. Hah.

Not sure how that works if he's buying them at regular rate. As long as he's not making his own copies it's not much different than reselling anything else, but I'm not a lawyer so can't say for sure

Cybsled

Unless he was trying to pass himself off as the author, there wouldn’t be much of a case.

Also, as mentioned, this is a super small scale thing more on par with performance art. Ignoring the guy helps you more, because making a big stink about it gives the person clout and potentially expands the scope of this being done

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Not sure how that works if he's buying them at regular rate. As long as he's not making his own copies it's not much different than reselling anything else, but I'm not a lawyer so can't say for sure
Pretty sure removing the copyrights and shit then reselling them might be an issue.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
First-sale doctrine, one hundred percent legal for it to do that with the books. Maybe you could find a judge stupid enough to consider a re-bound book to be a 'derivative work' but that would never survive an appeal.

• 1WTF

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It wasn't just taking the covers off, she was removing all pages that had Rowling's name including the copyright pages.

Doubt 3rd parties are required to keep those and can't imagine a scenario where simply removing things and re-selling what you legally bought would ever infringe on anything.

velk

Trakanon Raider
First-sale doctrine, one hundred percent legal for it to do that with the books. Maybe you could find a judge stupid enough to consider a re-bound book to be a 'derivative work' but that would never survive an appeal.

IANAL, but I think you could make a reasonable argument that consistent deliberate modifications run into the material difference exception to first sale doctrine.

Not that I think anyone would bother, unless they are feeling particularly spiteful and are unaware of the Streissand effect.