Hogwarts Legacy

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Okay, wife is playing through this, just reached Sirona and I gotta ask...why would it be a tranny with a male voice? Nevermind that apparently in every other voice localle it's a female with a female voice.

Lore wise, lets retcon this shit.

This is a world where people can change into animals on a whim. Why the fuck would a tranny even exist in a 1/2 form unless they fucked up the transform spell and became 1/2 man 1/2 woman? "Totallicus Trannicus!" *POOF* you now have man hands and an adams apple as a woman.

So fucking dumb, lol.

• 5Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
I was cautiously optimistic about this going in, but was kind of expecting the combat to be bad, but man, this game is kind of blowing me away. I didn't expect it to be nearly this good. I'm still only 10 hours in, but it's just fun as hell to explore and engage with the combat. They really made something special here.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I might actually be enjoying this more than Elden Ring (and I loved ER and sunk over 150 hours into it). The story is so much easier to follow in HL, HL isn’t frustratingly difficult, at least not yet, and the setting is fantastic.

Not much of a surprise you'd like this better when your issues with Souls games are what makes them great

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Okay, wife is playing through this, just reached Sirona and I gotta ask...why would it be a tranny with a male voice? Nevermind that apparently in every other voice localle it's a female with a female voice.

This is a world where people can change into animals on a whim. Why the fuck would a tranny even exist in a 1/2 form unless they fucked up the transform spell and became 1/2 man 1/2 woman? "Totallicus Trannicus!" *POOF* you now have man hands and an adams apple as a woman.

So fucking dumb, lol.
I haven't done her quest line but maybe she wants to live her life as a transexual. Maybe her bar gets better tips out of pity.

Gender bending has been a staple of RPGs forever.

CKPtnARVa_eRUfAT9YvXV8GUg9_nwBD6cnP5MeMID_g.png

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I haven't done her quest line but maybe she wants to live her life as a transexual. Maybe her bar gets better tips out of pity.

Gender bending has been a staple of RPGs forever.

CKPtnARVa_eRUfAT9YvXV8GUg9_nwBD6cnP5MeMID_g.png
Its also cursed so makes sense.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

So fucking dumb, lol.
is it just a female vo in other markets? so tiresome..

magic in HP is of course super undefined. who the fuck knows what spells exist? whats the limits on repario? when do you need to say a word and use a wand? when can you do one or neither?
polyjuice potion is what we see for transformation. "complex and time-consuming" to make, with limited duration. 10minutes to 12 hours depending on skill crafting. it's implied to be too costly, and time consuming to use it long term.
and, a rat transformation.. how? and were-dogs/wolves.

polyjuice is also limited in that it transforms you into a specific person.

Its referenced so frequently, and used as the only means of transformation, I think we need to assume it is the only means of transformation they have.

it would make some sense if that wizard/witch were actively pursuing a permanent transformation. that could even be part of their story.

Some examples.
pathfinder: wrath of the righteous does have a trans character. they do appear, and present 100% as female, in a lesbian relationship. when you get to know them, their wife mentions having to had to sell her family sword to purchase a potion to cure an illness for her lover. if you press on what the illness was, they will admit she was male, and the potion was a permanent gender transformation potion.

Dnd transformations. most can be dispelled, or are temporary. Even true polymorph, which is a VERY high level spell, can technically be dispelled. It could even be a plot or character point for someone using transformation magic, to have to avoid restoration, greater restoration, dispel, anti-magic fields, etc to prevent the gender transformation from being undone. and have them searching for a more permanent solution. reincarnation, clone, magic jar, wish, divine intervention, etc are needed.
Magical artifacts. rare and expensive. some are while worn, some are "cursed" and permanent. but, technically, those are also in the true polymorph variety. an artifact that is true and permanent, would be even rarer then just casting wish.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The biggest issue the HP universe has, from my ignorant pov, is the co-existence of technology. Given what magic can do, I cannot see how a hidden society of literal hundreds of thousands of ppl able to do magic not fundamentally changing how the "muggle" society works. Given human nature, ppl who wield magic would either be slaves or rulers.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's. A. Story.

Stop trying to quantify it or add logic. It's like the millions of people who debate what happens in Star Wars; "OH, why didn't such and such character just do this?". Because it's made up and written a certain way for a certain reason.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It's. A. Story.

Stop trying to quantify it or add logic. It's like the millions of people who debate what happens in Star Wars; "OH, why didn't such and such character just do this?". Because it's made up and written a certain way for a certain reason.

That's a real bullshit post. Story in fiction is constrained in it's created universe and once you go outside of that the fictional universe created to contain the story loses all worth. And the biggest crux is when that universe starts to adhere to real world bullshit to "Make a statement".

Add to that political pressure to inject a tranny just because is also just as horseshit and in the Harry Potter universe a tranny, who wants to be of the opposite sex and known that way, would change everything about them magically including their voice. GuardianX GuardianX is completely right. Almost wish it could be that way in the real world so when these attention seeking mental patients realize they are no longer getting attention and want to go back to the way they were after therapy and 23 shock sessions could say "Penisgrowback-o!"

Yeah other than that we all know it's fiction. Staying within the boundaries set in the fictional universe it is set in is what makes it palpable to read, watch, play, or sell - or be a fan of - so all of us can take our minds off the real world for a little bit, not bring that horseshit back into our brief escape from these madhouse in serious need of mental evaluation things running around the planet.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Came across a chess set and the position was impossible nonsense. Immersion DESTROYED.

• 2Worf
  • 1Hodjing

Caliane

yeah. that is just a braindead take. its a story. nothing matters. its all made up. The point of stories is to present ideas. If your idea is incomplete, or has logical flaws, then theres little to learn from it. and its open to critique.

A big issue here of course is multiple authors, and adapting a fiction to a wider audience, and storylines. The hobbit being a silly story for kids is fine, when its isolated. It has specific parables it wants to tell. The hobbit being a silly story for kids is not fine, when you start to try tieing it to a larger world, and have much more serious themes, and parables. Tolkien thankfully is capable, and did world build solidly, even in The hobbit. and only need minor revisions to fix a few things here and there.

But when you are an author in Starwars, or Harry potter trying to tell stories within that world, the world is so loose and nonsensical, it creates problems. It is incredibly difficult to adapt real world issues, or logic into HP because the world is nonsense. it is better to not do it at all. Keep real world shit out of the wizarding world. Or just have the wizarding world solve real world issues trivially. thats normally what J.K. did. oh no, you broke every bone in your body? well lets jellify your bones, and regrow them.

so thats really how it should have been handled I suppose. some whimsical nonsense, resulting in complete gender swap. drink a potion, parts fall off, spend a week with neither. and then a week later out pops boy/girl parts.

which is why people have an issue with it. in a fantasy world like this with magical bullshit solutions to every problem, trans shouldn't really be a thing, as its something that would be fixed instantly with magical bullshit solutions. so, to have it, the author is making a specific statement. its expressly a STATEMENT. and one about trans "identity", not about trans inclusion. if it were inclusion, the person would be indistinguishable from a cis person, and you'd need to ask/pry it out of them.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Moron

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
That's a real bullshit post. Story in fiction is constrained in it's created universe and once you go outside of that the fictional universe created to contain the story loses all worth. And the biggest crux is when that universe starts to adhere to real world bullshit to "Make a statement".

Add to that political pressure to inject a tranny just because is also just as horseshit and in the Harry Potter universe a tranny, who wants to be of the opposite sex and known that way, would change everything about them magically including their voice. GuardianX GuardianX is completely right. Almost wish it could be that way in the real world so when these attention seeking mental patients realize they are no longer getting attention and want to go back to the way they were after therapy and 23 shock sessions could say "Penisgrowback-o!"

Yeah other than that we all know it's fiction. Staying within the boundaries set in the fictional universe it is set in is what makes it palpable to read, watch, play, or sell - or be a fan of - so all of us can take our minds off the real world for a little bit, not bring that horseshit back into our brief escape from these madhouse in serious need of mental evaluation things running around the planet.

Yeah this goes back to the just add laser guns and space ships cuz it's just a story who cares.

How far it strays and the impact it has is certainly worthy of debate.

I'm still amused about how there's serious gaming to be done in this thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
The biggest issue the HP universe has, from my ignorant pov, is the co-existence of technology. Given what magic can do, I cannot see how a hidden society of literal hundreds of thousands of ppl able to do magic not fundamentally changing how the "muggle" society works. Given human nature, ppl who wield magic would either be slaves or rulers.
That's kind of the overriding plot for both the main HP stories and the fantastic beasts movies though. "Evil" wizards want to use their superiority to rule/enslave/destroy muggles while "good" magic wants to stay as hidden benevolent co-existers. I'm not saying it makes the most sense but it is acknowledged.

• 2Like

Caliane

It sure as shit beats watching grown up adults arguing about a children's story. Some of you people need to grow the fuck up and quit playing with Legos.
children learn from children's stories. arguing about children's stories is more important then arguing about adult ones. What stories shaped you as a child?

Beyond that, some of the most enduring stories of all time are childrens stories. The wizard of oz. Peter and Wendy. The hobbit. The Iliad and The Odyssey Can you name a single adult story from those time periods?

• 1Imbecile

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That's kind of the overriding plot for both the main HP stories and the fantastic beasts movies though. "Evil" wizards want to use their superiority to rule/enslave/destroy muggles while "good" magic wants to stay as hidden benevolent co-existers. I'm not saying it makes the most sense but it is acknowledged.
Yea, it's kind of a mostly black and white story, but usually those are the ones that hit home with kids the best, and lets be honest, this is a kid/ya story. Would a real world like this be different? Probably. But also who cares. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy what I'm given as is.

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It sure as shit beats watching grown up adults arguing about a children's story. Some of you people need to grow the fuck up and quit playing with Legos.

Fuck that. And now I am going to go buy some legos at 49 years old, maybe go buy a model rocket off Amazon and a new launch kit and go to the park with my lego guy attached to my Saturn 5 and launch it up in the air attached to the chute with string. Obviously after I am done playing this awesome game.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Legos are still fun as an adult.

The main reason I think Harry Potter took off like it did is because of all the gaping glaring bullshit plot holes and wild improbable and seriously bullshit parts.

But, Actually! Given physical form of a book over and over.

• 2Like