Home buying thread

Vinen

God is dead
Negotiating in your favor?

Yeah. It's over now.
Agreed upon 17K USD off (asked 25k) + a large amount of very expensive teak furniture.

There is some extensive external work which needs to be performed which I have budgeted 40K to perform.
Now to talk to lawyer to have the P&S drawn up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Should be getting my w&d today, went with the highest end non digital machines I could find. I don't want to deal with digital errors, perfectly happy with knobs and buttons.

Vinen

God is dead
Should be getting my w&d today, went with the highest end non digital machines I could find. I don't want to deal with digital errors, perfectly happy with knobs and buttons.

What did you end-up with? My wife and I are going to need to get a new Washer/Dryer for our new house. We will get some temporary ones but we will likely need to replace them short term.

I loath the over-digitalization of home appliances as well. Would really like less stuff that can break/fry.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
What did you end-up with? My wife and I are going to need to get a new Washer/Dryer for our new house. We will get some temporary ones but we will likely need to replace them short term.

I loath the over-digitalization of home appliances as well. Would really like less stuff that can break/fry.

Oh come on my washer dryer really needs to have wifi and connect to the internet to do firmware updates....

what

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
WiFi control.might not be bad.

Shiiiit I forgot to run the dryer. CLICK. No problem

If you're too lazy to go push the button on the dryer you're definitely too lazy to be doing laundry in the first place

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Whirlpool cambrio, 4.3

It was between this or the mattag bravo, same size

There's a 4.8, but I don't need it that big, 4.3 without the impeller is big enough for a queen comforter, and even more space. I was focused on impellerless top loaders.

Also had to be high efficiency(he)

I wanted front loaders, but they seem to have more issues than they're worth, plus you'll pay a premium for them, since they'll be digital( all controls in front) and stackable.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's like these fridges too, even a few basic French door models got digital controls. Lord, I just want a water dispenser and icemaker, hell I'd take out the icemaker even, I like to make 2in cubes. I just want the water dispenser cuz I have a ro water unit and I don't want to drill through the granite

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had front loaders at my old house and just bought very basic top loaders for the new place. Analog dials and everything. I don't know if they're "better" but with the fewer computers and fewer moving parts all around they're less error prone. And if they do break down it is probably something physical which a repairman has more wheelhouse experience to fix.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
PHOTO_20170905_171223.jpg

The guys just brought em in, cuz my dryer pipe goes straight down and I needed an elbow, so after I got that I connected stuff myself.

It comfortably fits a queen comforter and two nap microfiber queen throws, washing now as a test. I can't find my softener ball, so I'll just buy another later on. I did give a lot of backside room, and I moved the machines over, cuz I plan to fit my ironing board to the side.

Next is to buy two door slabs, I have enough room for them to swing out in my hallway. Yeah I'm not dealing with bifold or sliding doors. I'll make sure they're solidcore doors for sound absorption, on 50 bucks per door skab, itd be 25 per, for hollow.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i was doing yardwork and found this
water-meter-top-arrow.jpg

(not my pic)

but theres also a master water ball switch thing in my basement too. is this the one for the water company to fuck around with and i turn the master ball switch in my basement when shit goes wrong?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
correct.

and if shit goes really wrong (eg your "master water ball switch thing explodes") you can turn your water off there.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You can find a 'key' for that water meter at home depot for a few bucks. You can do it without the key, but i don't like sticking my hands in those holes.

Note that I think the water company has another valve they can use when you're cut off. So having the key won't mean you can steal water.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I went with the not quite top of the line (I don't need a secondary washing machine in the top of the washing machine...) Samsung washer and dryer. I have horrific allergies and so having the steam settings for both washer and dryer is very nice. I've also found that the 'refresh' setting on the dryer is a godsend when you pull something out that you haven't worn in ages. Toss it in there for a few minutes on tumble with light steam and its like brand new.

The 'anti-static' feature on the dryer is also good if you, like me, often forget to get the clothes OUT of the dryer in a timely manner. For a period of up to several hours after the cycle ends it will periodically turn back on and tumble with a bit o steam to keep your clothes from getting all static-clingy.

I also learned to trust reputable sources like Consumer Reports and genuine word of mouth from actual humans you know when looking for appliances. Most every appliance has horrific ratings on Amazon or other public forum sites.