Home buying thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've had a front loading Kenmore for about 8 years now and haven't had a single issue. Pretty solid machine. Actually every appliance we own is Kenmore

Vinen

God is dead
I refuse to touch Sears brands.

I currently have front-loading Electrolux. Had zero issues with the ones I've had for four years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I went with the not quite top of the line (I don't need a secondary washing machine in the top of the washing machine...) Samsung washer and dryer. I have horrific allergies and so having the steam settings for both washer and dryer is very nice. I've also found that the 'refresh' setting on the dryer is a godsend when you pull something out that you haven't worn in ages. Toss it in there for a few minutes on tumble with light steam and its like brand new.

The 'anti-static' feature on the dryer is also good if you, like me, often forget to get the clothes OUT of the dryer in a timely manner. For a period of up to several hours after the cycle ends it will periodically turn back on and tumble with a bit o steam to keep your clothes from getting all static-clingy.

I also learned to trust reputable sources like Consumer Reports and genuine word of mouth from actual humans you know when looking for appliances. Most every appliance has horrific ratings on Amazon or other public forum sites.
This has been the only air filter brand that works for my wife
Winix PlasmaWave 5300 actually works, vs. like a 5x more expensive blueair, which sucked ass.

since moving into our home, i keep a merv7 air filter on the furnace, and that's as high as i'm willing to go (a thicker one will restrict and maybe "choke"??? it), i do have a merv8 in pack if things get really bad (just moved in so have no idea on the pollen, etc)

so far she's doing fine, also i think our new miele vacuum is contributing, which is a vast improvement over our tried and true 15yr dyson(i'm using that as like a shopvac for now).

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I may have to look into that. Ripping out all the carpet has certainly helped a lot as well (the previous owners had a dog), also carpet is the devil...I am vehemently opposed to carpet in general.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I may have to look into that. Ripping out all the carpet has certainly helped a lot as well (the previous owners had a dog), also carpet is the devil...I am vehemently opposed to carpet in general.
yea she likes carpet, so the compromise was to buy a 1k vacuum, lol.

also we don't have a wimpy ass feather duster, we use the fucking metrovac, it's a lot faster and more thourgh than dusting, just turn on the vacuum when you do it.

also i'm fucking happy i see lint coming out of my dryer into my backyard. That means the vent is working!, the vent was actually broken and it was venting into the fucking hvac/boiler room!

Nester

Vyemm Raider
We got a Dyson Animal hand held, its freaking amazing. expensive, but amazing.

Bought a new washer/dryer last week (low end Samsung) then my dishwasher crapped out right after. Been in this new house since July. Got a pretty sweet Bosch, but my installer had to move some plumbing as the previous owner (sigh) installed the last one himself.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So why is that thing so expensive? I'm looking for a new vacuum cleaner because my Dyson kinda sucks honestly (and not the way a vacuum is supposed to). It's never done all that great a job.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So why is that thing so expensive? I'm looking for a new vacuum cleaner because my Dyson kinda sucks honestly (and not the way a vacuum is supposed to). It's never done all that great a job.
it's a TRUE Hepa vacuum, you buy the bags with air filters.

The suction and motorized head is amazing, true my dyson is ancient, a dc07, however i've serviced it myself (motor finally died a year ago) it's always clean, hell it cleaned better than my friends ball dyson back in jersey cuz he didn't keep it internally clean.

so of course i cleaned the carpets with the dyson first, then i used the miele and heard sounds coming through wand, yea it was picking up dirt that was deep in the carpet, also dumping out the bag, it was like a toupee clump that the dyson missed.

hell, when we get a dog (either a maltipoo so no worries) or a corgi (tons of fur) i don't see why i couldn't clean with the dyson first then do a final pass w/ the miele, it'll probably extend the life of the vac too.

again it's a TRUE real, HEPA vac i know it's working as a HEPA vac b/c my winix in the room is super sensitive, you fart and it turns on TURBO, my wife starts using makeup or something chemical, it goes turbo. if we use a duster it turns turbo.

When i use the dyson it turns turbo, when i use the miele, it doesn't dust isn't being kicked up cuz it's being sucked into the machine and stays in the air filter in it.

plus it feels like a fucking tank when i'm using it, really makes the dyson feel like a kids toy.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I have no idea what the fuck you just said Lanx. Why would you vacuum twice? Why would you buy a $2k vacuum to use on sloppy seconds? What the hell are you talking about?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have no idea what the fuck you just said Lanx. Why would you vacuum twice? Why would you buy a $2k vacuum to use on sloppy seconds? What the hell are you talking about?
If I get a shedding dog, I'd vac with the bagless Dyson first cuz if all that hair, then go with the miele to get a deep clean, the miele is bagged.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
If you have sinus issues or severe allergies to dust then those true HEPA vacuums are worth every penny.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm late to the game, but we've had a cheap Frigidaire washer dryer for 17 years. We do a metric fuck tonne of laundry with five kids, mostly teenagers, into lots of sports and such. I bet we do 3 loads every 2 days, likely more on average. We've never had to do anything to these machines, and I don't think they were $1,000 for the pair when we bought them 17 years ago.

I've heard front loading washers aren't all that any more. I think our next one will likely be a top loading spindle-less washer. I'm told their capacity is amazing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm late to the game, but we've had a cheap Frigidaire washer dryer for 17 years. We do a metric fuck tonne of laundry with five kids, mostly teenagers, into lots of sports and such. I bet we do 3 loads every 2 days, likely more on average. We've never had to do anything to these machines, and I don't think they were $1,000 for the pair when we bought them 17 years ago.

I've heard front loading washers aren't all that any more. I think our next one will likely be a top loading spindle-less washer. I'm told their capacity is amazing.
Yea my 4.3 impellerless can take a queen down, 2 twin microfiber, 1 king microfiber blanket and still have room for a basket of laundry.

Vinen

God is dead
Closing on a house in 1 month. Excited. (We could close tomorrow if the Seller was able to :3)

~4K sqft spread across 4 floors. ~1890's Victorian which has large amounts of remodeling done to the Basement, First and Second floor. Wife and I will be gutting the 3rd floor next year in order to outfit it with our offices and a 3rd full bathroom. Has a full on movie theater in the basement. Plan on rehabing the Garage next year as well... has a flat roof which is not optimal in the Northeast during the winter.

Old as fuck Tech in the theater (circa 2002) but it was top of the line then so its still functional while we wait for 4K Laser Projectors. I think the dude who owned the house hid in his theater and only spoke to his wife over the phone in the basement.

Wife loathes the design style in the theater but I think its nostalgic. Been a source of few arguments already and we haven't even moved into the house.

Thinking we will put ~100K into the house as whole next year. More or less what we got off the asking price.
- Garage Update
- 3rd Floor rehab
- Fixing a few external conditions (minor rott, etc)
- Solar Panels (IF and only IF they can be put on the roof -____-)

Now the hilarious part is...
At our current house when we moved in a guy who reported to my wife rented 2 houses down...
At the house we are purchasing a guy who reports to my wife rents 2 houses down...
100% unintentional.

72204069_0.jpg

72204069_19_0.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users