Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wife loathes the design style in the theater but I think its nostalgic. Been a source of few arguments already and we haven't even moved into the house.

I agree with your wife, it's grotesque, new carpeting, paint and fixtures easily fixed it tho.

Vinen

God is dead

That's how much the projector that's currently attached to the ceiling cost... 15 years ago or so... It's still meets the needs of the room so I'm just going to wait for prices to come down a little bit.

those are the most beautiful retaining walls i've ever seen.

Haha it only shows up amazing in pictures. It needs some TLC... A few of the rocks have fallen out. Already lined up a few contractors to come by and provide an estimates. Mainly looking to put a flat surface on the top and to refill any cement which has fallen out.

Last edited:

Vinen

God is dead
They look like dry stack walls to me.

Naah. Assuming Dry Stack is what I think it is It is they are not. Water has seeped in overtime and cracked the "cement." Made a few of the top rocks loose.

Took a screencap from one of the videos I took during the inspection. Town has already been informed the sidewalk sucks ass.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 9.52.04 AM.png

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Closing on a house in 1 month. Excited. (We could close tomorrow if the Seller was able to :3)

~4K sqft spread across 4 floors. ~1890's Victorian which has large amounts of remodeling done to the Basement, First and Second floor. Wife and I will be gutting the 3rd floor next year in order to outfit it with our offices and a 3rd full bathroom. Has a full on movie theater in the basement. Plan on rehabing the Garage next year as well... has a flat roof which is not optimal in the Northeast during the winter.

Old as fuck Tech in the theater (circa 2002) but it was top of the line then so its still functional while we wait for 4K Laser Projectors. I think the dude who owned the house hid in his theater and only spoke to his wife over the phone in the basement.

Wife loathes the design style in the theater but I think its nostalgic. Been a source of few arguments already and we haven't even moved into the house.

Thinking we will put ~100K into the house as whole next year. More or less what we got off the asking price.
- Garage Update
- 3rd Floor rehab
- Fixing a few external conditions (minor rott, etc)
- Solar Panels (IF and only IF they can be put on the roof -____-)

Now the hilarious part is...
At our current house when we moved in a guy who reported to my wife rented 2 houses down...
At the house we are purchasing a guy who reports to my wife rents 2 houses down...
100% unintentional.

View attachment 154181
View attachment 154182

The media room phone and screen thing there look like its from a 1970's missile control room. Haha.

But it looks like its a good house, will require a lot of money to upkeep and remodel to be more modern. But congrats! How far from work?

Vinen

God is dead
The media room phone and screen thing there look like its from a 1970's missile control room. Haha.

But it looks like its a good house, will require a lot of money to upkeep and remodel to be more modern. But congrats! How far from work?

Thankfully its not mounted to anything so I can just pick it up and move it somewhere else.

House is ~15 minutes from work with no traffic. It's a reverse commute as well which is nice so traffic shouldn't be awful. My wife will have her commute reduced from 30 minutes to 10 minutes.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Condos. It's to be expected in the town this is in. No access to our tiny yard.

Got ya. For such a pretty front exterior kind of crappy if you're chilling on the back patio you just stare at a gigantic brick wall. Though I don't know much about the east coast if it is more common to hang out on the front wrap-around porch vs back patio.

Vinen

God is dead
Got ya. For such a pretty front exterior kind of crappy if you're chilling on the back patio you just stare at a gigantic brick wall. Though I don't know much about the east coast if it is more common to hang out on the front wrap-around porch vs back patio.

This is common. Houses are super dense. It's rare for a house to even have a porch like this. If you do have one changes are its facing directly into another persons house.

Sample from another area of town. IIRC Somerville MA is the most densely populated city in New England. Houses sell for on average 500-600 / sqft in this town. Very pricey and very quickly gentrifying. Even the sketchy area of town (East Somerville) is being gentrified. Drive through it and tons of houses are getting torn down and rebuilt.

Somerville, Massachusetts - Wikipedia

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 12.13.12 PM.png

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Is it historically preserved or anything? Why don't they tear down those 140 year old houses?

Vinen

God is dead
Is it historically preserved or anything? Why don't they tear down those 140 year old houses?

Lots of zoning laws that make it easier to gut renovate then rebuild.

House has to be in complete disrepair / falling down to make it worth knocking it down and rebuilding.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Lots of zoning laws that make it easier to gut renovate then rebuild.

House has to be in complete disrepair / falling down to make it worth knocking it down and rebuilding.

Where I live just a lot costs 800k-1M so when there's an old house on it they typically tear them down. You see $800k 1930's craftsman houses that immediately get torn down and rebuilt.

Vinen

God is dead
Where I live just a lot costs 800k-1M so when there's an old house on it they typically tear them down. You see $800k 1930's craftsman houses that immediately get torn down and rebuilt.

You're also in Texas, land of the free and guns. :)

The lots that tend to get real tear-downs are the 5000-8000 SQFT ones. Can stick 3 condos on those!
This houses lot is ~5300 SQFT. The current house is just too valuable for a contractor to teardown and rebuild. The margin is too low when they can just wait for a giant shitfest to go on the market.

Often times they keep the old foundation and structure and just reinforce it / build an addition.

Last edited:

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Hearing rumors from friends in the biz that this cycles peak has been reached and passed.

Vinen

God is dead
Hearing rumors from friends in the biz that this cycles peak has been reached and passed.

Regional. What are of the country are they in? Prices are getting high but at least in the Boston area we are getting an influx of VERY high paying jobs (Google, Facebook, Amazon...)