Home buying thread

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
and it's a corner property, i've learned to be leary of those

too much traffic?

Usually if it's a corner I try to keep it to non-major streets, like no grid type street corners.

Nothing like this:

1537588633757.png

But somethign like this would be fine:

1537588701303.png

The difference being that the top one will have traffic regardless and the bottom one will have low traffic.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
too much traffic?

Usually if it's a corner I try to keep it to non-major streets, like no grid type street corners.

Nothing like this:

View attachment 176686

But somethign like this would be fine:

View attachment 176687

The difference being that the top one will have traffic regardless and the bottom one will have low traffic.
well yea, you will be the one w/ the most traffic, but also this
959c2f832ce5beb00388f67bafcd1d41.jpg

you're responsibe for the both sidewalks. AND your at the end of the drainage ditch so when it rains you hear it all, AND you have to mow all around that

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Guess I'm a grown up now, closed on a house today, waiting for the recording of the deed. So now do I move this conversation to the Home Improvement thread? lol

Thinking about buying a smart lock to replace current front door locks only, any recommendations?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Guess I'm a grown up now, closed on a house today, waiting for the recording of the deed. So now do I move this conversation to the Home Improvement thread? lol

Thinking about buying a smart lock to replace current front door locks only, any recommendations?
i've researched quite a bit on locks

I assume you're talking about replacing the deadbolt

I have this schlage lock myself
Schlage Lock Company BE468CAM716
41ecad1ad267cdd06fe155e330195150.png

Why did i choose the schlage? well first, almost every and all smart lock/locks are junk. The "hardware" the "lock" itself is junkish, and of the smart lock brands, "at least" schlage is higher quality deadbolt.

There are horrible smartlocks like from kwikset(very common) that cost hundreds, but you could easily defeat the lock with a screwdriver and strength (stick it in the slot and twist like hulk), it'll break b/c the insides are made out of plastic.

So out of all the smart locks out there, at least schlage has good internal hardware. (but lets be real, the deadbolt itself is no different than a $30 schlage deadbolt i have opened them up and rekey'd em)

Mine is the top end one, b/c i wanted autolock, as in you unlock it and close your door, and 30s later it will auto lock, also it includes zwave tech to integrate into your home automation (unlock from app too)

if you don't care about those 2 features at all, you can save a hundred bucks and go for this model down
b0fdd7dfc35eef537ba92b265582f396.png

Schlage Touch Camelot Deadbolt (Aged Bronze) BE375 CAM 716

again, yale/kwickset smart locks, AVOID (these are the common ones you'll see in big box stores too)

while youre there pick up a box of 3in construction screws
Grip-Rite #10 x 3 in. Philips Bugle-Head Coarse Thread Sharp Point Polymer Coated Exterior Screw-PTN3S1 - The Home Depot

like 50screws for 10bucks, replace all the screws in your door jamb, deadbolt strike plate this way it'll bite into the stud. (if you get the schlage they come w/ 3in screws) but you should also replace the screws at the hinges.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
i've researched quite a bit on locks

I assume you're talking about replacing the deadbolt

I have this schlage lock myself
Schlage Lock Company BE468CAM716
41ecad1ad267cdd06fe155e330195150.png

Why did i choose the schlage? well first, almost every and all smart lock/locks are junk. The "hardware" the "lock" itself is junkish, and of the smart lock brands, "at least" schlage is higher quality deadbolt.

There are horrible smartlocks like from kwikset(very common) that cost hundreds, but you could easily defeat the lock with a screwdriver and strength (stick it in the slot and twist like hulk), it'll break b/c the insides are made out of plastic.

So out of all the smart locks out there, at least schlage has good internal hardware. (but lets be real, the deadbolt itself is no different than a $30 schlage deadbolt i have opened them up and rekey'd em)

Mine is the top end one, b/c i wanted autolock, as in you unlock it and close your door, and 30s later it will auto lock, also it includes zwave tech to integrate into your home automation (unlock from app too)

if you don't care about those 2 features at all, you can save a hundred bucks and go for this model down
b0fdd7dfc35eef537ba92b265582f396.png

Schlage Touch Camelot Deadbolt (Aged Bronze) BE375 CAM 716

again, yale/kwickset smart locks, AVOID (these are the common ones you'll see in big box stores too)

while youre there pick up a box of 3in construction screws
Grip-Rite #10 x 3 in. Philips Bugle-Head Coarse Thread Sharp Point Polymer Coated Exterior Screw-PTN3S1 - The Home Depot

like 50screws for 10bucks, replace all the screws in your door jamb, deadbolt strike plate this way it'll bite into the stud. (if you get the schlage they come w/ 3in screws) but you should also replace the screws at the hinges.

Thanks, I was looking at Schlage do you think the
is the model to go for? I'd say I probably want the entire door set but the other part of me is thinking about rekeying the deadbolt and waiting for a black friday sale (or any good sale for that matter)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks, I was looking at Schlage do you think the
is the model to go for? I'd say I probably want the entire door set but the other part of me is thinking about rekeying the deadbolt and waiting for a black friday sale (or any good sale for that matter)
yea the be469 is the updated one (thats the one i have), last i checked, but that was a year ago.

you might want to talk to mrs. about the door set, usually females love!!! door handle options n shit.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
oh and if you do get that schlage, obviously it needs batteries, i got some super long life, photographer batteries

Duracell Procell AA

haven't even worried about it for a year so far. (the first time i got it, i put regular duracells in it, kinda sputtered)

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Going to be considering security options too, feel like too obvious a set up is asking for people to think something is worth stealing though lol.

Talking about maybe bug bombing first, cleaning carpets the day after and cleaning/doing whatever painting or shit we want to do (and change locks etc). Not even going to move for another week or so but we'll want to start getting everything in motion.

Also have to take all my projector shit down, all my wall mounts and shit for my office and likely want to patch and paint that room because I put so many holes in the wall lol.

Lots of work to do in the coming weeks. Thanks for the advice.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Going to be considering security options too, feel like too obvious a set up is asking for people to think something is worth stealing though lol.

Talking about maybe bug bombing first, cleaning carpets the day after and cleaning/doing whatever painting or shit we want to do (and change locks etc). Not even going to move for another week or so but we'll want to start getting everything in motion.

Also have to take all my projector shit down, all my wall mounts and shit for my office and likely want to patch and paint that room because I put so many holes in the wall lol.

Lots of work to do in the coming weeks. Thanks for the advice.
yea, download one of those moving checklists, you should be alright.

Fall is here already, so get to caulking, weatherstripping asap.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
yea, download one of those moving checklists, you should be alright.

Fall is here already, so get to caulking, weatherstripping asap.
Place is in great shape, all the insulation is massive and in place, gas furnace/water heater, pretty much everything is brand new. There are definitely things that need to be improved but fuck it, I own land.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Place is in great shape, all the insulation is massive and in place, gas furnace/water heater, pretty much everything is brand new. There are definitely things that need to be improved but fuck it, I own land.
buy a thermal gun, you'll be surprised the leaks you find BLACK+DECKER TLD100 Thermal Leak Detector only like 25 bucks, this one is nice because it shows you the laser beam color and changes instantly when it detects a temp change from what you set it to, just saying fall/winter is coming and you're usually gonna deal with old weatherstripping and old caulk. i did and the house was nicely kept.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have good links or advice for actually buying like an acre and adding a property. Obviously having utilities nearby/road is important. With the booming house market here but slowing a smidge we are ready to sell and try and simplify with a place outside town away from people.

Looking at either a built house, one of the fancier new system built type homes, or even some of these neat steel stucture garage type homes since we have multiple vehicles/motorcycles. If not a 2 story garage home really looking more for a modest like 2 bed ranch type home with an unfinished basement and a detached big steel garage.

Im kinda assuming it wll be best to sell home and rent for a bit to aide in approval and rates for construction loans or whatever. (Also kind of an issue not knowing the first thing about the different types of loan needed compared to a conventional suburban mortgage.

Orig house was 250k, neighborhood houses going for 370 or so atm, and we are around 100k or so annual income to work with. Possibly more since overtime is supposed to be plentiful with sheriff.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So, everyone is doing what we are doing, Bidding before they see the home, if they are buying for personal. If they are investing they are 100% walking into the realtors office and handing them a check for 150k and walking out with it done. This home MAY end up back on the market in like a few days or so once the people who "Won" fucking VISIT THE FUCKING HOUSE...but that's just more "dumb" time down the drain.

Quite honestly, the home is 100% unimportant for investors. I haven't even been inside one of mine. Ever. It was a good deal, had the agent look and verify, he said it was gtg no major issues, contract signed same day as it hit the MLS. This isn't anything really weird, tbh. I did it through a loan, though. Not all investors pay cash. Though these days, probably so. The only time we do cash now is when we do flips. I have a $400,000 line of credit for that, though. So even though it's cash, it's a short term loan that I take out for 3-4 months, flip, sell, pay off. Each deal has made me money that goes toward the next deal, so my first deal was 300k out of the line, but now I'm taking about 150k out of the line. In 2-3 years hopefully I won't even need the line anymore.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
What's the consensus on if it's a good time to sell? Feels like the market is pretty high, and have a house I would like to get rid of. Lol

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Check realtor/zillow on your area and see how many houses are available, average market time, etc. It's going to depend a lot on the area.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I mean yeah, it really depends on your area LachiusTZ LachiusTZ

In my area it's a decent time to sell but the appreciation rate is upwards in a HUGE way right now.

in 5 years my area has gone from a 75-110k a starter home to a range of 150-300k starters and it looks like the appreciation rate will continue. I mean shit even the home I JUST bought appraised for more than I spent, appreciation rates are GOOD in my area.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
^^ Things people said in 2007

As far as I am aware, it's not nationally the type of appreciation going on in my area.

I think it's largely due to people leaving Cali and going to Texas, in my case.

I bought in an area that is already experiencing higher than usual increases in population due to people changing work locations. The area is away from the crazy hurricane areas down south and close to 2 major cities. The area is largely white / asian, wooded, near lakes, has great schools and low crime.

I bought at a good price too, a price that allows for upwards mobility as well as a padding for moderate down-trending. I'm excited to see what I can do with the home.

I am expecting, over time, that more people from Cali come to this location and it moves into a 200-300k asking for entry homes in about 5-10 years. Nothing higher than that really because people will just stay in Cali if it goes any higher. If it approaches anything CLOSE to those numbers, I'll have made out in a VERY significant way on this home. Worse case is the home sells for 50% of what we paid for and then we pay pennies in taxes for a few years as we take that hit but the home will be paid off by the time we sell it in 5-10 years unless the nation gets ultra fucked.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
People next door to us, just sold their house for 45% more than they built it for in 2013. Paid $285k, sold for $415k. Was on the market for 12 days. House across the street from us sold in one day over the summer.