Home buying thread

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Cash buyer rescinded the offer when we sent the counter offer. We did get another offer yesterday though. FHA loan, 5k above asking price, aggressive schedule for closing (late January).

Until the cash offer disappeared we were poopooing the FHA offer since we’re not confident our house will appraise for our asking price (and they offered 5k over that even). The family wrote us a nice letter describing themselves and what they liked about the home. I’m not a terribly sentimental person, but objectively it’s a good offer, so the fact that I can feel good about the family inheteting the house after us is just icing on the cake.

So I’m officially under contract to sell my house and am currently on an 8 hour road trip to the house we’re under contract to buy. We’re getting the full home inspection and WDO inspection tomorrow.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
if you're wondering about foot traffic vs. views, zillow show how many ppl have saved your home
82e27215b83bfff14dbf13d3da9c5b55.png

they also had how many views your house had, can't seem to remember where it was listed tho.

oh 8it was at the bottom, keep scrolling
4772577263e3b3e39b68fff5ffa8e516.png

i was using that data to see the popular homes in the area i wanted

Fucking hell, is that normal prices in Topeka?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
oh thats in the city, normal humans don't want to live there.

That's less than half the cost per square foot on cheap places in the shitty parts of Denver. Now I have to seriously consider Kansas for retirement.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's less than half the cost per square foot on cheap places in the shitty parts of Denver. Now I have to seriously consider Kansas for retirement.
120 would put you in the middle class, children play on streets area. 160 would be upper middle class nicer homes, and etc. Just live west of the highway.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Kansas is probably gonna imploded in 10years, these fucking rednecks are too dumb to have any sort of budget, "lets raise taxes!!!", you know the local gov't is dumb when taxes are higher than in NY.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Let's talk insurance. Currently I have my Homeowner's and Car insurance bundled through Amica. Over the years I've kind of just let it go and ignored it since Homeowner's was payed through mortgage escrow and I didn't really keep an eye on it. It's gone from $1200/yr when I first purchased it about 7 years ago to over $1700/yr now. Time to start shopping around.

Anyone have any experience/luck with insurance through possibly lesser known, but still reputable companies with good customer service? I'm going to be getting quotes from all the usual suspects but it would be nice to find a better company with better rates akin to PenFed as a credit union and for auto loans etc.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Let's talk insurance. Currently I have my Homeowner's and Car insurance bundled through Amica. Over the years I've kind of just let it go and ignored it since Homeowner's was payed through mortgage escrow and I didn't really keep an eye on it. It's gone from $1200/yr when I first purchased it about 7 years ago to over $1700/yr now. Time to start shopping around.

Anyone have any experience/luck with insurance through possibly lesser known, but still reputable companies with good customer service? I'm going to be getting quotes from all the usual suspects but it would be nice to find a better company with better rates akin to PenFed as a credit union and for auto loans etc.
company took care of finding the "best deal" for home insurance owners, and it was. My best deal i could find, was getting the state farm auto + home, until the company found travellers (so it's not a no name), state farm lady was surprised it was so cheap and there was nothing she could do to make me get the combo.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We have Allstate for everything, and they have been fantastic in all instances. Their prices seem quite competitive, too. Our policy is quite a bit higher, but we have acreage and several buildings. I'll stick with Allstate for all my insurance needs.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Safeco is pretty good if you can get it there. I have auto, home, and umbrella through them. I had Allstate shoot me a quote just this week and they came in $800 per year higher for nearly the same coverages and deductibles.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Partner and I have been putting money aside for a couple years with a 5 year goal of buying some sort of property in my hometown in the states. We live and work abroad and are looking mostly for property as an investment and/or a place to crash over vacations and store some of our stuff. Staying with parents is getting old now that we are in our 30s. Initial thought was a multi-family property to rent out one unit and save the other for ourselves.

Then my parents neighbor got sick and needs to move to a nursing home. Her sisters are just trying to liquidate everything and offered my parents the property significantly under it's value. We jumped on it, and even offered to empty most of the basement and other junk so they didn't have to hire someone or rent a truck to bring it to the dump. My parents just bought it with cash, and we are in the process of getting a mortgage to buy it off them.

IMG-20190216-WA0001.jpg

2 bed 1 bath with about 1/4 acre land. On a quiet deadend street Built 20 years ago and fully renovated 3 years ago. Almost 0 work needed on the house. The yard hasn't been cared for in like 10 years since the woman first got sick. We have about 10k to put into furnishing and making any changes we want. Paving the driveway and doing a new front porch would be nice.

My mother works at the college 1 mile down the road and they are always looking for temporary rentals for adjunct and visiting professors. That'd leave it open for us in summers when we come home. Even if we don't rent it out consistently, the mortgage payments are way below what we've been putting aside each month to save up for a property.

If it becomes more hassle than it's worth, we could resell and make a significant profit with little investment.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Saw a for-sale sign down the street, which is super weird given that its freaking February... Anyway it prompted me to check out what they were asking for the house and I did a double-take. Then I looked at the 'Zestimate' / 'Redfin estimate' etc for my house and nearly choked.

We moved into this house in August of 2018 and there is no way in hell I could afford it today, this is insane.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

You can get a house with a pool in BFE Florida for <$100k. That's where I'm going into my semi-retirement as a skydiving instructor in a decade.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Partner and I have been putting money aside for a couple years with a 5 year goal of buying some sort of property in my hometown in the states. We live and work abroad and are looking mostly for property as an investment and/or a place to crash over vacations and store some of our stuff. Staying with parents is getting old now that we are in our 30s. Initial thought was a multi-family property to rent out one unit and save the other for ourselves.

Then my parents neighbor got sick and needs to move to a nursing home. Her sisters are just trying to liquidate everything and offered my parents the property significantly under it's value. We jumped on it, and even offered to empty most of the basement and other junk so they didn't have to hire someone or rent a truck to bring it to the dump. My parents just bought it with cash, and we are in the process of getting a mortgage to buy it off them.

View attachment 195430

2 bed 1 bath with about 1/4 acre land. On a quiet deadend street Built 20 years ago and fully renovated 3 years ago. Almost 0 work needed on the house. The yard hasn't been cared for in like 10 years since the woman first got sick. We have about 10k to put into furnishing and making any changes we want. Paving the driveway and doing a new front porch would be nice.

My mother works at the college 1 mile down the road and they are always looking for temporary rentals for adjunct and visiting professors. That'd leave it open for us in summers when we come home. Even if we don't rent it out consistently, the mortgage payments are way below what we've been putting aside each month to save up for a property.

If it becomes more hassle than it's worth, we could resell and make a significant profit with little investment.

Awesome dude! Are you guys out in Asia or something (not the house I mean living)?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You can get a house with a pool in BFE Florida for <$100k. That's where I'm going into my semi-retirement as a skydiving instructor in a decade.
yea fuck Kansas. When it snows, unless you have a good 4x4, stay home, like literally don't go out or you die from other cars crashing into you.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So three years ago I bought a house with a fucked up foundation.

Thinking about selling it. It has a lifetime transferable warranty from Olshan. Real estate guy says it's no big deal and there isn't as much stigma attached to it.

So I dunno if I keep it as a rental, or sell it off.

I owe 90k, Zillow says it's worth 183k, agent says I can get 162k for it. Would net like 35-40k after taxes etc.

It's rented for 1200/mo. Prolly needs about 20-25k of work in the next two to three years.

Sell or keep?