Home buying thread

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'll have to talk to the property MGMT company that looks after my house. Don't live there anymore, and traveling back isn't viable.

They have real estate agents, and other investors.

Would blow my mind if I got half as much gain as these sites are showing. I liked the area, but holy shit, 70% in three years is unreal.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'll have to talk to the property MGMT company that looks after my house. Don't live there anymore, and traveling back isn't viable.

They have real estate agents, and other investors.

Would blow my mind if I got half as much gain as these sites are showing. I liked the area, but holy shit, 70% in three years is unreal.
look at zillow and your house, then sort by "recently sold" in the area and see how long it took and see how long houses stay up for. Zillow probably has a better understanding than those worthless agents.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I eye balled that.

My house is on the edge of a really nice area, so in a for block range there is a 200k swing.

The rental lease runs out in March. Might put it off until then and hope for another 3-5% increase

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I eye balled that.

My house is on the edge of a really nice area, so in a for block range there is a 200k swing.

The rental lease runs out in March. Might put it off until then and hope for another 3-5% increase
edge as in, one block over and it's chi-town blm, or the edge of nowhere?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
After seeing how much was actually going towards the principle I got depressed and we decided to not put 30K into a bank pocket so we made a plan.
I am proud to say in January 2019 we will owe 10K on our mortgage. We have been sending double payments for the past 9 years and this last year triple, we have budgeted/sacrificed for a decade for this moment and it feels fucking awesome. 30 year mortgage in less than 11 years.

Once we live for a year mortgage free we will visit the idea of renting out and using that money towards another house, or just maxing IRAs etc.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
asian-girl-thumbs-up.gif

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
We said fuck it and setup a wire transfer to pay the balance end of this month! We are now 100% debt free!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
We said fuck it and setup a wire transfer to pay the balance end of this month! We are now 100% debt free!

Awesome man. Grats

edge as in, one block over and it's chi-town blm, or the edge of nowhere?

It's between a booming hipster area, and old Jew money. Like actual Jew money. Jewish community center etc etc.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I put an offer in on a house in late December and they accepted after a modest counter offer. Closing date is set for March 4th but we have a contingency to sell our house first.

We waited until Thursday to list the house (because of Christmas and New Years). Fortunately there aren’t any other houses like ours that are currently for sale in our area. Within 24 hours of listing we had 10-11 showings scheduled throughout the weekend.

Ironically the only offer we’ve received so far has been from an investment firm that hasn’t physically seen the property yet. It’s a cash offer and they only want 8 days for due diligence. We didn’t immediately counter because we expected to get at least one other offer from all the showings, but as of this morning we haven’t gotten any. I think there’s a couple 2nd time showings happening today, but unless subsequent offers are in cash, we’re unlikely to even consider them.

Being able to close quickly on our current house will let us move into the new home more quickly (the sellers home has been listed for 240+ days and are a divorcing couple that are eager to put a bow on it).

I’m not sure what I expected, but getting this house ready to sell and prepping it to be shown has been fucking stressful. My temperament is pretty even keel 90% of the time, but I’ve been cunty with my wife and generally anxious for a week now. Can’t wait for this to be over with.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Ironically the only offer we’ve received so far has been from an investment firm

OpenDoor?

If so, was the offer remotely competitive?

If not, may wanna see what OpenDoor wants to offer you to try and get a possibly better outcome.

Just know that OpenDoor uses a ton of shells to buy homes.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
OpenDoor?

If so, was the offer remotely competitive?

If not, may wanna see what OpenDoor wants to offer you to try and get a possibly better outcome.

Just know that OpenDoor uses a ton of shells to buy homes.
Could be a shell, but this firm in particular is an LLC based out of Texas. We're assuming they want to make it a rental property so our counter offer is going to include all the appliances so it'll be turn key for a rental property.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Could be a shell, but this firm in particular is an LLC based out of Texas. We're assuming they want to make it a rental property so our counter offer is going to include all the appliances so it'll be turn key for a rental property.

In that case ya, get a quote from OpenDoor too.

Likely won't be much more than the LLC but the process is automated and OpenDoor basically buys your home to re-sell it. (Hence the possible low ball offers)

---

their process is:

Buy home either though people offering or though scouting homes to offer. (you receive cash here with an agreement that if the home isn't up to snuff then you forego some of that cash)

Enter and assess the home for structural and other issues.

Finalize sale.

Enter home and make repairs / easy changes.

Wait 30-90 days

List home for sale.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if you're wondering about foot traffic vs. views, zillow show how many ppl have saved your home
82e27215b83bfff14dbf13d3da9c5b55.png

they also had how many views your house had, can't seem to remember where it was listed tho.

oh 8it was at the bottom, keep scrolling
4772577263e3b3e39b68fff5ffa8e516.png

i was using that data to see the popular homes in the area i wanted

Last edited:

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
if you're wondering about foot traffic vs. views, zillow show how many ppl have saved your home
82e27215b83bfff14dbf13d3da9c5b55.png

they also had how many views your house had, can't seem to remember where it was listed tho.

oh 8it was at the bottom, keep scrolling
4772577263e3b3e39b68fff5ffa8e516.png

i was using that data to see the popular homes in the area i wanted
Yeah, my wife has sent me some of the metrics you’re talking about. They look good but I don’t have any context so they could be typical or even below average.

The feedback we’ve gotten (only about 4 realtors have bothered filling it out) have said the price is just right but there’s little things that aren’t agreeable like slope of the driveway, size of the kitchen, size of the eating area, etc. Things that aren’t actionable.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, my wife has sent me some of the metrics you’re talking about. They look good but I don’t have any context so they could be typical or even below average.

The feedback we’ve gotten (only about 4 realtors have bothered filling it out) have said the price is just right but there’s little things that aren’t agreeable like slope of the driveway, size of the kitchen, size of the eating area, etc. Things that aren’t actionable.
wth, is your driveway flat? when were realtors fuckin home inspectors?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
wth, is your driveway flat? when were realtors fuckin home inspectors?
It’s not the realtors observations, it’s their client’s observations that they are passing along to us (as a courtesy).

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
do you think your driveway slope is bad?
I bought this house as a first time homebuyer. I would not buy this house if it were my second house (for reasons that include the driveway slope).