Home buying thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's pretty easy to get a real estate license and it's possible to make a lot of money selling houses so some people think that taking the classes and taking the test is actually what makes you able to sell houses. I've heard as many as 80% of new real estate agents fail in their first year, often without selling a single house.
The part that's different for me is that I've been in the contracts business for a decade. Granted, it's a different type of contract (federal contracts), but I feel like I could probably manage that and negotiation on my own no problem.

I need someone who knows the area, knows other agents and how to get showings fast, and access to MLS. That's it. I could give a shit about using some broker's canned forms or using their own inspector.

It's definitely in retrospect that she was such a bad fit. I'm hoping we don't make the mistake again. The only problem is, as said, we're new to the area. So we don't know anyone. And with our first house purchase and coworkers who recommended (and what it seems like by reading online recommendations for here locally), most people only have the one broker they ever use. So a recommendation means pretty much shit, since if you got a house, you probably liked your realtor. But that doesn't mean they were worth a shit. It may just mean that they weren't an active impediment. People aren't buying multiple houses and have their go to person.

For instance, our house was with an agent recommended by a coworker who had just used them. We disliked her greatly as she was super aggressive and abrasive. But, is that what got us our house? Who the fuck knows! I mean, we found a house, so would I recommend her? I suppose? That seems to be the threshold.

We found our selling agent because we just so happened to notice properties listed by her in our neighborhood were like 75% her. So we figured she was doing well and knew the area. Doesn't work when your search is two towns.

Fucker

Log Wizard
It's pretty easy to get a real estate license and it's possible to make a lot of money selling houses so some people think that taking the classes and taking the test is actually what makes you able to sell houses. I've heard as many as 80% of new real estate agents fail in their first year, often without selling a single house.
Not everyone is fit for sales, and I don't know how many people realize it takes a lot of work to make really good money at it. I'm sure there are a lot of idiots who think it is easy money and not much work. 80% wash out wouldn't surprise me.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our real estate agent is from Chicago and she complains a lot about suburban agents being so fucking lazy and disorganized... like calling and asking for showings 30 minutes before, or showing up at a house and asking if they can come in while people are still living in the property, etc. She despises so many of them.
When we bought our house she worked on the offer in her car so we could submit it asap... it was definitely done within 30 minutes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Now is a terrible time to buy in most of the country.

Keep in mind this is all my own personal speculative opinion and I Am Not An Economist Or Financial Advisor....

I would say now is a good time to be accumulating a large amount of wealth into inflation resistant assets , but probably not a home as home prices are irrationally high right now. My strong suspicion is that within a year to 18 months we're going to see some bubbles start bursting, and when the housing one does and prices crash with it, then you'll have a nice beefy asset pool to go get more home for your money. Assuming your current living/rent situation is managable.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So yeah, we felt locked in until we figured out what happened with this house (putting in an offer means we're kind of stuck with her). We went to see it this morning and really, really liked it. Met her there at 9:30, and despite asking her to be prepared for us to make an offer, she had nothing prepared. She texted us at about 11:30 saying that apparently there were offers higher than we were going to, also waiving contingencies. And apparently they were taking offers until noon today.

She asked us if we wanted to proceed and I said fuck it, why not, at least we'd be a backup. Then she says well, she can't get an offer put together in 30 minutes. So I just said forget it.

We were already going to fire her after this house anyway, but now it feels super justified. Not only has she not found us a single house, the ones we've found on our own she's only shown us half of (she even said today that one of them was "mean," and I'm sitting here thinking, bitch, what do you think your job is here exactly?). And then this one that I found, insisted we look at yesterday, she completely bungles.

Worse, while we at the house with her, she said she'd text the listing agent to say we'd put in an offer, but she wasn't going to do the paperwork until Tuesday because "it's a holiday weekend and everything is closed." The second time she's said that. I think she's just retarded. On what planet does it being a weekend mean you can't put an offer in? Banks don't process offers ya cunt!

Finally, afterwards, she texted us with, "I cannot understand why sellers want offers in less than a 48 hour window of listing. It's getting a bit frustrating." Exact words.

So yeah, it feels good to be done with her, but I feel like we wasted 3 weeks. I should trust my gut and when I Googled her and saw she got her license in March, found someone else. I didn't need to waste 3 weeks to learn she was dumb.

Just figured I'd dear diary this is case anyone was wondering how it went.
Tell her to go back to asking customers if they want to super-sized their combo meal.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
like calling and asking for showings 30 minutes before, or showing up at a house and asking if they can come in while people are still living in the property, etc. She despises so many of them.
The fuck? Isnt that some real estate 101 stuff?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Buy what where how?

Primary residence? Secondary residence? Rental units? Same state or to another state? Upgrade or downgrade? Cash or credit? From a hot RE market to a cold one? From a cold expensive one to a hot much less expensive area?

Are you buying on credit or cash? Do you have to sell your current domicile to get into another one? How good is your credit if financing?

We aren't in a RE bubble right now because lenders are sticking to their guns on lending standards for the most part. RE is exploding all over the US because massive numbers of people are fleeing the west coast for better living conditions, and they are bringing with them MONEY.

A 30-something guy stopped by today to get some furniture I had listed. Just moved here from California. He and his wife had a $1million dollar shitbox in California and they bought a nice place here for a lot less and the QOL is much better. Sure the RE market here is dead nuts crazy, but compared to California? This place is Eden.

Further, it's not a bubble because there are a LOT of people on the west coast who want better for themselves. The prices are rising and will stay that way until this planet gets hit by a comet.

As for myself and my GF and my mom and my GF's sister? Fuck yes, it is a good time to buy where we are moving to. Home prices are on the descent because home buying season is over, and they are still very reasonable. I'm certain it is going to be the next hotspot for the next RE bounce because all the liveable decent places out west are getting filled up, and quickly.
A house, in Denver.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
This ain't for me. Trying to evaluate how dumb my friend is. He just started making big money a few years ago working for big tech and has been spending a lot on stupid toys and now real estate. He wants a home in Denver that he can just show up and chill at.. not live there. From the sound of his most recent visit, you literally have to buy the house the day it hits the market or you see it. He has two houses in same region of Florida. One he rents out and the other he doesn't even though he has room to have roommates.

Kid is very stereotypical new money.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This ain't for me. Trying to evaluate how dumb my friend is. He just started making big money a few years ago working for big tech and has been spending a lot on stupid toys and now real estate. He wants a home in Denver that he can just show up and chill at.. not live there. From the sound of his most recent visit, you literally have to buy the house the day it hits the market or you see it. He has two houses in same region of Florida. One he rents out and the other he doesn't even though he has room to have roommates.

Why not rent a house when he wants to go like a normal human.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Why not rent a house when he wants to go like a normal human.
That's what I said. Why not just Airbnb. Then you can go ANYWHERE. He works remote for FB making probably 200-220k (in Florida).

But nope. Dunno. I can't imagine the headache of managing property out of state. Especially in a shithole like Denver. He also just bought an efoil just like his boss Zuckerberg. Was like 4-5k. Max cringe.. wants to buy jet skis now.. At one point I told him he should be investing his shit, which I think he does to an extent.

If it was me I'd pour all that shit into the market and live frugally.. I mean that's what I already do personally.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Great houses appropriately priced sell the day of listing here.

I'm of the opinion it isn't a bubble because people are leaving shitholes and bringing with them money, and banks are sticking to their loaning standards. The only thing that will slow it down is if the Fed or Biden kills the economy.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Great houses appropriately priced sell the day of listing here.

I'm of the opinion it isn't a bubble because people are leaving shitholes and bringing with them money, and banks are sticking to their loaning standards. The only thing that will slow it down is if the Fed or Biden kills the economy.
Gotcha. Ya exactly what you said and often times he finds they offer well above asking price.

Dunno why Denver. Place seems like a shit hole. I'm sure there's better areas in CO if you must.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I liked Denver. Last time I flew through there the incredibly high guy put the toppings for my pizza on twice at the airport.

• 1Seriously?