Home buying thread

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
This ain't for me. Trying to evaluate how dumb my friend is. He just started making big money a few years ago working for big tech and has been spending a lot on stupid toys and now real estate. He wants a home in Denver that he can just show up and chill at.. not live there. From the sound of his most recent visit, you literally have to buy the house the day it hits the market or you see it. He has two houses in same region of Florida. One he rents out and the other he doesn't even though he has room to have roommates.

Kid is very stereotypical new money.
that's how the market has been for any non-shit area and any non-shit house for over a year. true sellers market, people waiving inspections, all cash offers, even paying rent back to sellers etc. just wild.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Fuck Denver lol. Last time I was there was flying back from AK. From Seattle to Denver. It was 101F and because of the altitue the plane coldn't load enough fuel and get enough lift to get off the ground to make it to Houston. So we flew to OK city where we refueled to make it to Houston. The one good thing is the 737 only had 6 people on it and 3 of us were together. The days of pre packing in passangers.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The fuck? Isnt that some real estate 101 stuff?

I had my real estate license for a while for land sales type stuff. There were a BUNCH of dumb people in my class. And I think a few didn't even pass the exam.

There is nothing taught on ettiquite, putting contracts together, or how to actually do the regulatory stuff you have to memorize in class. That all comes from the broker, being a self-starter, and having even a hint of sales instincts.

I mean imagine never having interacted with a real estate agent in your life and then wanting to sell houses bc easy money, kek. That's probably a lot of real estate failures.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If y'all really want your heads to explode, check out how real estate deals are conducted in, yep you guessed it, NY state. To buy a house (or any real estate) both parties must have a lawyer. Yep a lawyer. If I want to buy your house for cash, site unseen, buyer beware, we both still need to pay a lawyer to "look at the contract". Like $1500. Each. So the lawyers can say "yep this is a real estate contract". This place is such an absolute shithole.

• 1WTF

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
When I was buying my duplex, there were 3 offers including mine. Only my offer was on a contract for a multifamily home.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I keep thinking that there are so many retards running around as real estate agents that I should get my license and do it part-time. It would be like competing against bads in WoW battlegrounds.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I keep thinking that there are so many retards running around as real estate agents that I should get my license and do it part-time. It would be like competing against bads in WoW battlegrounds.
Guy I used to work with had his wife do it because they didn't want to give away 6%, and because they figured it couldn't be super hard. Guy is an engineer and I'm assuming his wife is on par intellectually.

It apparently was easy enough, and she ended up quitting her job and doing it part time and is pretty successful. I think if you're halfway intelligent and have any sort of work ethic, it's likely not too terribly hard.

Just got off the phone with a new realtor. This one is a single person running it as an LLC, and does it full time. She seems on top of her shit. Even texted me about 3 minutes after I left a voicemail to tell me she'd call me back in about an hour. Sure enough, she actually called back about an hour later. Mind boggling! Hopefully when we meet with her I don't get any bad vibes. We're meeting her at her home office, which is on the fucking water and her neighbor's house sold for well over a million. So she's doing pretty well financially (dunno what her husband does).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Sold both my houses. Use a title company to take care of the paperwork at the end. Maybe 1 or 2 visits to sign shit, 1 hour tops.

When I first moved close to the town I went to college in I got an agent to show me stuff for sale. Went through this mega list of shit I had to have and other shit was yes/no I didn't care either way. It's a small town of 30k. I wanted rural and told her that multiple times. Had to have room to park my 2 trucks 2 trailers. Had to be out of the city limits, acreage a must have. Bonus would have been a shop. First place she took me to was right in the middle of fucking town and parking was on the street. I literally left her there and told her to call the office, we're done. Someone she knew or something.

When mom and dad bought a house 15 years ago they were having a hard time finding a place. She complained at the office about the "non help" they were getting. An agent from the office called mom at home later and said "Do NOT tell the office I called, my neighbor has a house they are thinking of putting up for sale that is exactly what you are looking for". Met with the lady and drove out there. They bought the house and the lady kept saying "DO NOT tell my boss you bought this house because I introduced you.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm in the process of selling off all my rental properties. I'm making a fucking fortune. Each property is selling for more than $200K over what I paid. Selling off 15 properties. Started last week, should be done by the end of the month. Everything is getting over asking price. It's insane right now. Perhaps some day I might get back into rental properties, but I saw the potential for money right now, and holy crap, dang right I'm cashing in.

To be clear, I'm not screwing my renters. They are all going to finish the year with their current rental agreement. My life is going to be a lot more open and free, though.

• 1Tendies

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I'm in the process of selling off all my rental properties. I'm making a fucking fortune. Each property is selling for more than $200K over what I paid. Selling off 15 properties. Started last week, should be done by the end of the month. Everything is getting over asking price. It's insane right now. Perhaps some day I might get back into rental properties, but I saw the potential for money right now, and holy crap, dang right I'm cashing in.

To be clear, I'm not screwing my renters. They are all going to finish the year with their current rental agreement. My life is going to be a lot more open and free, though.
Prove it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Prove it.
Prove what? Having a chunk of rental properties is certainly not out of the bounds of believability, nor is making a fat profit off of them above and beyond wild projections. I had 5 at one point. I was managing them myself and had the ability to buy more. 5 was my limit in terms of neural bandwidth. I met my financial goals and then some.

At some point, getting sick of dealing with the shit and peak market coincide, and you fucking bail out....like Dirk is doing. Couple mill in the pocket does wonders for blood pressure relief.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

So you have at least a 1.5M tax bill? Based on your numbers you’re selling about $12M in RE. Obviously it’s possible but just kind of random to drop a random line about having that level of wealth. Most people in that wealth range would be finding a way to mitigate that tax bill with a like kind exchange .

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Charles Dickens Money GIF by INTO ACTION

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I hope you 1031 into something bigger and better.

But why the fuck are people asking for proof? Everything said on these boards should be taken in good faith, otherwise why bother talking to anyone about anything?

I am in title insurance in NY and I see all kinds of retarded shit people do. Not having lawyers to handle the buyer and seller side, like it's done in other states, is mind blowing to me. Not a week goes by when someone doesn't demand to get out of a contract because reasons. Or some retard removes from property what was promised in the contract. Or some idiot buys a new bwm, gets denied a mortgage and has to try and get their deposit back. I have seen people come to fist blows at closings. I have seen a grown ass man buying a 9 million dollar condo yell and scream over $90. I have two attorneys in my office and they spend all day putting out fires because people are fucking dipshits and everyone buying a house seems to need psychological help.

Also 99% of realtors are scum and Dante didn't realize that they would get their own level of hell.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I hope you 1031 into something bigger and better.

But why the fuck are people asking for proof? Everything said on these boards should be taken in good faith, otherwise why bother talking to anyone about anything?

I am in title insurance in NY and I see all kinds of retarded shit people do. Not having lawyers to handle the buyer and seller side, like it's done in other states, is mind blowing to me. Not a week goes by when someone doesn't demand to get out of a contract because reasons. Or some retard removes from property what was promised in the contract. Or some idiot buys a new bwm, gets denied a mortgage and has to try and get their deposit back. I have seen people come to fist blows at closings. I have seen a grown ass man buying a 9 million dollar condo yell and scream over $90. I have two attorneys in my office and they spend all day putting out fires because people are fucking dipshits and everyone buying a house seems to need psychological help.

Also 99% of realtors are scum and Dante didn't realize that they would get their own level of hell.
How can people in NY not have lawyers involved? Its mandated.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
How can people in NY not have lawyers involved? Its mandated.
Its not mandated; you do not need a lawyer. It is almost guaranteed that if the other side has a lawyer, the lawyer will refuse to work with you so you are effectively required to get a lawyer. But I said nothing about not having a lawyer?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Its not mandated; you do not need a lawyer. It is almost guaranteed that if the other side has a lawyer, the lawyer will refuse to work with you so you are effectively required to get a lawyer. But I said nothing about not having a lawyer?
My agent told us it was required, not recommended. I am going to be making a phone call today. I saw the "not having a lawyer" in your post and that got me posting. I sort of ignored the as in other states part.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My agent told us it was required, not recommended. I am going to be making a phone call today.
Its not required. But you should have one. The other side is not going to work with you plus the professionals are there for a reason.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Within a certain parameter this seems reasonable. If someone out of the blue implies they are worth 20 mil or something it's not particularly odd to be questioned on some level just out of curiousity.