Home buying thread

Fucker

Log Wizard
God no, he rents a van with tinted windows.
dht.gif

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Look, here’s what you do:

Look up your potential neighbor’s tax data and cross reference w social media.

Get an idea of their habits. Do they workout? Are they married? Do they both work? Where do the kids go to school?

Then setup chance meetings in the grocery store, running down the street, at the gym, etc. Strike up conversations. Take copious notes. Keep an updated spreadsheet you can cross-reference. Neighbor guy is part of a club? Get in that club, befriend his friends. Do it right.

If you like them, buy. Move in. Be the happy family they all envy, but never stop watching them. Keep the meetings going. Keep taking copious notes of their routines, schedules, eating habits, sleep routines. Never stop.

Only then can you be sure that you can move into the neighborhood.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I sit in neighborhoods in my car at various hours check the people out. How they live, how they let their kids play etc. Iike seeing them act naturally before I buy.

I definitely drive through the area art various hours...

Didn't even think about doing this until someone in Memphis told me I was about to move to the hood.

During the day it was a decent enough area, about 9pm it became some shit from a movie.

People sitting on dark porches, cars rolling around bumping with no lights, gangs of dudes walking around with no shirts pants half off guns in the waist...

Jfc she saved my ass

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Maybe it’s an Arkansas thing, but I do the same shit as LachiusTZ LachiusTZ

Even when I looked at 16 houses in 2 days, I talked to someone in the neighborhood at about half of them. Ruled out 4 houses that way.

When I fucked off to the country it was a little harder to meet neighbors prior to offering, but if you keep to yourself, keep up your property, and help when asked things work out fine.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
It's not hard to find the chatty Kathy neighborhood watch woman and get the scoop on everyone in the neighborhood for the past decade. Lol

Thing about buying rural, you can go any where and someone will prolly know your plot and tell you what's up.

We knew the neighbor was nuts before we ever looked at the farm in south Arkansas.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Had our inspection today. Very, very minor stuff, although it's new construction so not surprising. Most of the stuff likely would've been fixed without the inspection pointing it out (like caulking around some windows, a faucet, that kind of stuff).

Have our first walkthrough with the builder on Tuesday, and still scheduled to close the following Tuesday. 6 working days left!
How did walkthrough and closing go? you a free man now?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How did walkthrough and closing go? you a free man now?
Walkthrough went fine. For some reason they still haven't graded the fucking property, which also means no sod. We can't get a certificate of occupancy inspection cleared until it's done.

Our closing was scheduled for the 19th, pushed to the 21st now.

I'm getting pretty pissed about the whole situation. We gave 30 days notice to our current rental in September, saying we'd be out the 25th. If we don't make the 21st I don't know what we'll do. Having to reschedule fridge delivery, moving truck, utilities, etc, was fucking obnoxious. If we have to do it again because this asshole builder won't do their fucking job, I'm going to lose it.

• 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Walkthrough went fine. For some reason they still haven't graded the fucking property, which also means no sod. We can't get a certificate of occupancy inspection cleared until it's done.

Our closing was scheduled for the 19th, pushed to the 21st now.

I'm getting pretty pissed about the whole situation. We gave 30 days notice to our current rental in September, saying we'd be out the 25th. If we don't make the 21st I don't know what we'll do. Having to reschedule fridge delivery, moving truck, utilities, etc, was fucking obnoxious. If we have to do it again because this asshole builder won't do their fucking job, I'm going to lose it.
Is that some real estate law specific to your state/county? I see homes get their COO without landscaping all the time in colder months due to weather. Come spring time the bank sends an Appraiser out on a 1004D to photo the newly installed landscaping. Hard to believe the state or county would make a COO reliant on landscaping.

Now you did say grading, so is it borderline dangerous to walk on the property? Like trip hazards etc? I could see that being an issue with FHA lending, but again that a lending requirement not a local zoning issue.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's Florida, so I imagine the grading is because of water. They did the house next door (which closed last week, even though their offer was 2 weeks after ours), and I have no clue why they didn't just do ours at the same time. That's probably the biggest reason I'm pissed. Literally just do it at the same time? Worse, they have sod down now, and it'll be the same grading (at least in the back yard), so now they're going to have to work around the neighbors yard without fucking it up (since they're living there now) to get it done. It's just baffling.

Like, fine, the sod is something you have to order...but why isn't the site prepped? We were supposed to close in two days and it's still not done? On Friday they said that the appraisal was supposed to be Tuesday, but was actually Thursday, and that's why we wouldn't close on time. So we drove by the house and I'm sitting there like, you haven't graded the property, even if the appraisal was on time, you're just blowing smoke up my ass now.

Our realtor actually said the minimum would be 1' of sod around the house, and the driveway, was the minimum to pass inspection. I have no clue why that is.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's Florida, so I imagine the grading is because of water. They did the house next door (which closed last week, even though their offer was 2 weeks after ours), and I have no clue why they didn't just do ours at the same time. That's probably the biggest reason I'm pissed. Literally just do it at the same time? Worse, they have sod down now, and it'll be the same grading (at least in the back yard), so now they're going to have to work around the neighbors yard without fucking it up (since they're living there now) to get it done. It's just baffling.

Like, fine, the sod is something you have to order...but why isn't the site prepped? We were supposed to close in two days and it's still not done? On Friday they said that the appraisal was supposed to be Tuesday, but was actually Thursday, and that's why we wouldn't close on time. So we drove by the house and I'm sitting there like, you haven't graded the property, even if the appraisal was on time, you're just blowing smoke up my ass now.

Our realtor actually said the minimum would be 1' of sod around the house, and the driveway, was the minimum to pass inspection. I have no clue why that is.
I could give you a long post explaining it all, but I will just leave the root cause as this...

Incompetence. It's how we roll.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

I am sorry to hear that dude. It is fucking mind boggling that landscaping is required to make the home livable. And in Florida of all paces makes it even more of a head scratcher.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's fine. It is what it is.

Like I said though, my only concern now is that they still don't get it done on time and have to push closing again. I don't want to work anymore, but if I have to do so another week, whatever.

And yeah, I also don't want to reschedule everything, but it can be done.

What can't be done is extending our rental property. If they push it again, we're going to be in a rough place. We have plenty of places we can stay, but all our shit needs to be out of this house by the 25th. I don't know what we'll do with it. I guess we'll have to find some kind of storage facility, use our U-Haul to move it there, and then rent another U-Haul to move it when we finally close.

Actually, thinking about it now, I need to keep my job until we close, and I'm not sure how I'll do that when we don't have a place to live. Hmm. I guess fingers crossed this works out.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Incompetence. It's how we roll.
There's no accounting for the number of ways it's possible for people to fuck things up. For anything to do with houses, I take whatever people give me as timelines and add 30%. A month overlap here and there is the cost of insuring against not having anywhere to put your shit in transitions.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's no accounting for the number of ways it's possible for people to fuck things up. For anything to do with houses, I take whatever people give me as timelines and add 30%. A month overlap here and there is the cost of insuring against not having anywhere to put your shit in transitions.
We already had that. We were supposed to close in September originally. Pushed to October 19, now two days later.

• 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I get it. But when I have to give 30 days notice for a rental, it really gives me almost no options. Whole thing fucking sucks.

I guess my only option would've been to just pay an entire month of extra rent and only give notice after we already close. But considering my rent is $1900 a month, plus utilities I need to keep on, that's quite expensive for a place I'm not living in.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, I get it. But when I have to give 30 days notice for a rental, it really gives me almost no options. Whole thing fucking sucks.

I guess my only option would've been to just pay an entire month of extra rent and only give notice after we already close. But considering my rent is $1900 a month, plus utilities I need to keep on, that's quite expensive for a place I'm not living in.
This move was a giant pain in the ass start to finish. One company took two weeks to process my app, and only approved it a few days before I was to leave. The women at the title company were also lazy and slow.

There were a few bright spots. The woman who packed my house up was a total ace, and the car arrived in ONE day...it was waiting in the driveway of the rental when I got there.

Other than that, PITA. Lazy workers really stand out these days since there is no one around to pick up the slack.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

if you were moving to a blue state, you could have just said...

"move?"

"make me"

lulz, it's not like you'll need credit for a while anyway since this is your forever home

• 1Like