Home buying thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What are you talking about bro? Sounds like prime discount time if you're willing to wait a few to fix it as contractors get freed up.
Except they aren't selling at "prime discounts". That's the real joke.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Currently shopping in central Florida. The flood maps making shopping so fucking hard. State gov is considering mandating people divulge if flood damage.
Be extremely cautious of it was in the storm track.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Currently shopping in central Florida. The flood maps making shopping so fucking hard. State gov is considering mandating people divulge if flood damage.
DM me areas. May be of help. It’s really fucking hit or miss on potential flood damage/future flooding in central Florida. You really have to look at it on a micro perspective if you’re looking at anything remotely near water

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I won't be emptying it, but it is the only way I will be able to get 20% down for the condo. Better to take a small beating on the 401k than to pay PMI for 15 years. If we get a decent offer on our house here I will get 1/3 of the capital gains, which I would use to fill this year's IRA and the rest back into the 401k.

When I bought my house.. I pulled off an 80/10/10 , 80 mortgage, 10% in a higher interest rate loan, 10% down and that worked well for me. I then focused on paying off that 10% ASAP. And it let me only need 10% down when I bought.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
When I bought my house.. I pulled off an 80/10/10 , 80 mortgage, 10% in a higher interest rate loan, 10% down and that worked well for me. I then focused on paying off that 10% ASAP. And it let me only need 10% down when I bought.
10% from your 401k?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I ran the numbers, and actually asked Fidelity how much I could loan or withdraw. No way out for me unless this place sells. Denver is still a shitty market to buy in right now, too, so I am looking at new areas as well. Panhandle area FL would put me near sister.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
10% from your 401k?
Nope, 10% was just an additional loan. Original mortgage was at around 5%, this additional 10 was at around 9%. Just a second loan. I functionally had two mortgage payments each month. One for the 80 loan, one for the 10 loan. Following the Dave Ramsey strategy for debt paydown the higher interest rate loan gets snowballed first. About the time I finished that, I refinanced the main mortgage down into the 3% range. I'm now happily around around 2 good commission checks from done with the 80, which I have been minimum payment on since it's the lowest rate I have in debt and there have been better things to be spending the money on (which return better than 3% a year).

• 1Like

Rais

Trakanon Raider
So I’m blessed to have a va home loan. Going through the process wasn’t that bad. Turns out one of the things we lucked into was having a savings account we just put money into for future home stuff and maybe down payment. Only money in, not out. During the process the finance company only looked at our credit report and the joint savings we had. They asked for 3 statements in 2 weeks during closing and apparently really made it simple. So main advise I have is to do this so they don’t go digging around in your normal checking accounts.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
SO anecdote time. Central Florida. Looking at quick move ins from builders due to contracts falling through due to interest rate. Dozens in the last week.

Scooped up a house discounted by 105k and the builder is buying me down to a fixed 4.99 rate for 30 years.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
SO anecdote time. Central Florida. Looking at quick move ins from builders due to contracts falling through due to interest rate. Dozens in the last week.

Scooped up a house discounted by 105k and the builder is buying me down to a fixed 4.99 rate for 30 years.
I am seeing tons of shit in Florida with "off the market- contingent" and about a month or two later "back on market" at a lower price. Rates at killing a chunk of buyers who can't qualify with the higher rates.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I am seeing tons of shit in Florida with "off the market- contingent" and about a month or two later "back on market" at a lower price. Rates at killing a chunk of buyers who can't qualify with the higher rates.
Prices are down a lot from when I sold last fall. 8.5% which is a pretty big trim. House prior to that, I sold at the absolute peak of the market, and those houses are down $100k or better.

RE agents in a lot of areas must be shitting themselves. I got an e-mail reply from an inquiry I sent almost two years ago. Must be slim out there if they are digging that deep to find buyers.

• 1Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It’s such a weird time near us. Inventory is sucks, and demand is still there. Some sellers still think it’s 2022.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So opendoor managed to sell another house on my street for 395k, lost 45k on this sale

For some depression fuel, this same house sold for $55,000 back in 2011.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cross posting from investing thread:

10:00*(US) FEB EXISTING HOME SALES: 4.58M V 4.20ME; Y/Y median price turned negative for first time in 131 months

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wish this collapse would hurry up. My house value increased 6.6% in the last 30 days according to Zillo. I want to pay lower taxes.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How does that work? The whole 8 years I've owned a home, property taxes have only gone up. I assumed that the municipality would simply not let that number go down.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It worked back in 2008. Housing market crashed and I was able to reassess the property value and drop my taxes in 2010.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Learned a valuable lesson 30 years ago from my first landlord. Told me the guy at the appraisal district will have a much higher impact on your taxes than the people who set the tax rate. He was dead on. Appraisal district in TX keeps on file photos of all improvements on your land/property. Keep the guy happy/occupied that comes out and takes pics = happy life. Build a new building it eventually shows up on a satellite image. Fences and improvements to structures and such do not for the most part. They photogrpah everything, a fence, a gate, a well house, chicken house and the list goes on and on.

Landlord was the county surveyor and he was tired of the appraisal guy always asking him for tips on who was working on something or adding something. It's a very very highly corruptable position and it shows if you know the guy and his pay is public record which don't match a lot. Let the guy hunt, fish, and any number of things is greasing the gears.

• 1Like