Home buying thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Anything that could tank the deal

don't skimp out on it no matter when it's built,

Take nothing for granted. I had a friend try to buy a new construction that looked fine on the outside, but it turns out the owners were foreign and hired some fly-by-night unlicensed contractor who didn't even know there was such a thing as building codes, never mind following them. Friend noped the fuck out of that deal with a quickness. If I remember correctly the structure was condemned and the owners fined for putting it up.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I'll be doing an inspection.
are you going to be around for the inspection too? make sure he checks all around, gets into the attic and roof n sheet, should take 4hours.

this training vid for home inspectors shows exactly what you should look out for, for him to be doing

SeanDoe1z1

This entire home buying process has been a bunch of drop box docu drops and liked text threads. Throws me off, but my wife is in a pretty decent job and they all communicate the same way when dealing with clients.

Crazy future.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Here is my situation. I bought my current house in 2008 for 119k. About 3 years ago I refinanced to a 10 year loan, at 3.65% interest and am down to owing just under 75k. I had planned on paying this the rest of the way off and then, well, I don't know exactly, short term goals I guess.

I just had an opportunity to purchase a home that was built and sold in 2014 for 230k originally. The owner paid for it with cash, and has allowed her son to live in it for the last 5 years. He's moving out, and the owner decided that she is willing to walk away from it for 238k (the extra 8k covering her costs) if I want to buy it as is, without her needing to have it fixed up, or dealing with realitors. Zillow and Truvalia say its worth 280-300k, so depending on that accuracy, I could essentially be walking into it with 50-60k equity day one.

I went to the house yesterday to walk through it (The son, girlfriend, and room mate are still living there currently) and first impression from the street was great, house is really nice, in a really nice neighborhood, super nice front yard. Walk up to the door and can smell the weed from outside. They let me in and yeah, they are heavy, heavy pot smokers, the whole place just reeks. That's probably a good thing though, because they also have 5 little dogs, who apparently just piss against the baseboards whenever they need to go, and no one cleans that up, so the weed is probably masking a piss smell. The rest of the house is filthy but intact, no holes in the walls or anything, and while I can tell the backyard was at one time landscaped, its just completely overgrown with weeds.

The bones are good, and the price is good, but there is a lot of work to be done. Remove carpet and add tile, not even sure if baseboards are cleanable or if that's another remove/replace thing, whole place will need super cleaned and painted, I'm guessing a total cleaning of the AC/heater and duct work due to all smoke? So, while that's a lot... I still think its probably a screaming deal right? It has the potential to be a much nicer house than the one I am currently in.

Now, that being said, my next door neighbors identical house to my current home sold about 6 months ago for 165k within hours, and it was trashed. It took the new owners 3 months of gutting it and rebuilding it to move in. My house is nice, I'm thinking I can pretty easily get 180k or more, potentially leaving me with around 100k in hand. I also currently have just over 25k in my checking account.

My thought is to take out a home equity loan against my current house, for as much as they will let me, lets say 80K (My credit score is currently 821 if it matters). I put that 80k down on this new house, taking it from 238k to 158k. Ideally, I will still be able to swing a 10 year loan, with a sub 4% interest rate, so I'm not just throwing money away on interest. I will then have a couple months of double house payments while I use my 25k fixing up the new house, moving, and then selling the old house. At that point, I pay back the loan, and any extra over 80k can go back into my bank replenishing my drained funds from the new house renovation.

Does that sound like a solid plan? Any thoughts or advice? I've got a reputation for making bad decisions *cough car cough* so I've come to the wisdom of the forums first :p

Siliconemelons

if you have the money and ability to float both - good.

You also know you are going to have to rehab what you are moving into...just know it will be more $ than you think or estimate.

Built in 2014? So yeah it's cost is going to be fairly close- yes you have 4-5 years of appreciation but this not house bubble (or hope it's not) growth, expecting 100k of fake value like a busy in 2007 sell in 2008 for 100% more bullshit.

It's sad to have to gut a young house because people DGAF - but I would still advise you pay the 100-200$ for a good home inspection... things that can go to rot fast sometimes... good inspectors can just see things from their exp that no one really thinks about.

Doing a 10 year is already a fast term- but 10 or 30 it's still amoralatized (I can't spell...) so the first years are a lot more interest per payment than capital.

With that, I come to my question I came here to ask- that may help you...

Is there a way to somehow keep your current mortgage and get a 2nd for a new home while selling your original? So you can stay on the better side of the amortization schedule? I guess that matters a lot on if the banks want to play.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm convinced home inspections are a scam unless you get a really good one AND the inspections are being done in stages during the building phase of new construction. Inspectors for both my old condo and my new home, both finished new construction, failed to find all sorts of major problems. My old condo literally had undetected mold in the walls due to water intrusion into the wall cavity due to improperly installed window flashing, and even though the same attached condos with the same problem had changed hand multiple times with multiple inspections, none of the inspectors caught it. Though water intrusion is the #1 damage culprit for homes, it would seem you have to pay for a special "water intrusion" inspection in order for them to look at that. When our walls literally warped and our ceiling fell in due to 3-4 years of undetected rot, the clean up crew used a $50 thermal camera attachment on an iphone to demonstrate that our walls were filled with water. It would seem that such a simple yet powerful investigation tool is beyond the means of your standard home inspector. My 2nd home was new construction and the inspector missed the fact that a giant steel lattice window was basically hollow and uninsulated, turning it into a giant freezing radiator in the winter. Also missed the fact that the floor wasn't level in certain places, the hot/cold was reversed in the shower, and the electric strip backup to the heat pump wasn't hooked up properly and didn't work.

Vinen

God is dead
I'm convinced home inspections are a scam unless you get a really good one AND the inspections are being done in stages during the building phase of new construction. Inspectors for both my old condo and my new home, both finished new construction, failed to find all sorts of major problems. My old condo literally had undetected mold in the walls due to water intrusion into the wall cavity due to improperly installed window flashing, and even though the same attached condos with the same problem had changed hand multiple times with multiple inspections, none of the inspectors caught it. Though water intrusion is the #1 damage culprit for homes, it would seem you have to pay for a special "water intrusion" inspection in order for them to look at that. When our walls literally warped and our ceiling fell in due to 3-4 years of undetected rot, the clean up crew used a $50 thermal camera attachment on an iphone to demonstrate that our walls were filled with water. It would seem that such a simple yet powerful investigation tool is beyond the means of your standard home inspector. My 2nd home was new construction and the inspector missed the fact that a giant steel lattice window was basically hollow and uninsulated, turning it into a giant freezing radiator in the winter. Also missed the fact that the floor wasn't level in certain places, the hot/cold was reversed in the shower, and the electric strip backup to the heat pump wasn't hooked up properly and didn't work.

I don't disagree with this.

Most homes in my area are sold without an inspection contingency.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

If you want that get some structural engineer guys and/or some construction guys to come check the house, as well as your typical house inspector who basically checks the appliances, plumbing, basic integrity, etc. Be prepared to pony up for it too.

What you're asking is easily done it's just not typical and not cheap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, after years of me suggesting it, my parents are finally on board with buying a house out here and letting me basically pay for the mortgage. Turns out my mom hates the desert, which everyone knew before they moved there, but they wanted to try it anyways. They are putting their house up this week, and once that sells they will move in with me until they find a place somewhere along the I-25 corridor south of Denver that they can afford, and I will move in with them. Little more commute to/from work, but more than offset by getting to spend time with them, and my mom makes food I can bring to work in place of the junk I have been living on for for years.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So i'm thinking about building a house in the next 5 years or so. Any advice on picking a floor plan / architect so I avoid major problems with things like mold in walls ?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So i'm thinking about building a house in the next 5 years or so. Any advice on picking a floor plan / architect so I avoid major problems with things like mold in walls ?

Concrete structure and you never have to worry about mold.

• 1Solidarity

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
House building question, how big of a deal is it to hire an independent pre-drywall inspection. The house isn't a custom home/floorplan. We are getting a pre-move in inspection with the builder.

Vinen

God is dead
House building question, how big of a deal is it to hire an independent pre-drywall inspection. The house isn't a custom home/floorplan. We are getting a pre-move in inspection with the builder.

Depends on how good the Building Inspectors are in your local.
The ones in my town are brutal as fuck so I trust them as much as someone I could hire.

I can't imagine it being a big deal for the builder to have an additional inspection performed. I would suspect in may cases they are placing a warranty on stuff for a temporary period of time so its in their best interest to have an extra set of eyes as its MUCH easier to fix stuff before the walls go up.

• 1Like

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there anyone familiar with the advantages of buying a leasehold vs freehold?

I'm looking at two properties, both apartments in nw5 London. They are similar but the freehold one is way more expensive. More expensive then it seems by my calculation it should be. OTOH I feel like as I'm spending far more on this anything else in my life so anyways it might be worth it.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My quick googlefu tells me Freehold is more for houses while leasehold is for apartments. Freehold has more ownership, less restrictions, and higher up front costs while leasehold has more restrictions and have more fees/rents, so you'll want to do a long term comparison.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Parents sold their house. Apparently didn't pass title V in MA and they're set to close In a week

$21k job and the first guy quit when he said it was too big so now they're scrambling to find someone who can do it within a few days

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
My quick googlefu tells me Freehold is more for houses while leasehold is for apartments. Freehold has more ownership, less restrictions, and higher up front costs while leasehold has more restrictions and have more fees/rents, so you'll want to do a long term comparison.

Yeah between talking to my estate agent for a long time on this topic and searching I think I now have a pretty strong understanding of all the differences, advantages/disadvantages ect.. of Freehold vs leasehold.

But I still fee that I do not understand why Freehold is so much more in London then leasehold. Doing some comparisons in other areas of England it seems the freehold vs leasehold is far more reasonable when you consider ground tax, price to extend the lease ect... There must be some reason for the huge premium in London.