Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

"Company lost money on 42% of its August resales after it failed to anticipate slide in housing demand. "
The illusion that people in finance are smart is a myth. Maybe it was true once, but a decade of hiring based on gender and skin color has destroyed the Financial sector's intellectual edge.

• 3Like
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The illusion that people in finance are smart is a myth. Maybe it was true once, but a decade of hiring based on gender and skin color has destroyed the Financial sector's intellectual edge.
opendoor (houseflipper not the tattletale yelp site) is ccp company created to raise housing prices in america

cant wait for builders to crash and wood is cheap again, i guess then i'll make a fence, maybe.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It’s true, most of us are even using excel 2013 still. The entire global financial system is run on 10 year old excel technology!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Excel > all.
1663643397620.png

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 5 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
  • 1Let's Go Brandon!
Reactions: 1 user

Tide27

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn sure wont be from mortgages.

We are literally one week out from closing on our new construction. We signed for the home at 3.85%, by the time we were able to lock the rate it was 5.9%. Now 7 days from close, there is no sod, no toilets, no shutters, no appliances, 5 holes in the wall from where they punched through looking for thermostat wiring.

Luck sure would have it that our lock only lasts until Oct 3rd, and now interest rate is over 7%. If we dont close by the 3rd, we will lose the house and still owe them $12 fucking grand for having to walk away from the home.

I fucking hate the god damn Democrats and Biden administration for fucking everything up.

Its all on god damn purpose too.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Salty

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How many times am I allowed to sell my home to opendoor and buy it back? Infinite money glitch.

• 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

We are literally one week out from closing on our new construction. We signed for the home at 3.85%, by the time we were able to lock the rate it was 5.9%. Now 7 days from close, there is no sod, no toilets, no shutters, no appliances, 5 holes in the wall from where they punched through looking for thermostat wiring.

Luck sure would have it that our lock only lasts until Oct 3rd, and now interest rate is over 7%. If we dont close by the 3rd, we will lose the house and still owe them $12 fucking grand for having to walk away from the home.

I fucking hate the god damn Democrats and Biden administration for fucking everything up.

Not saying this to be a dick, just doing some maths. Eating 12k is most assuredly the suck, but what is the difference in overall cost going to be over the life of the mortgage with that jump from 3.85% to 5.9%? Is it worth walking a way and waiting a year or two for housing to crash? Also consider with rates so high and people walking away from deals left and right, you might have some leverage with the builder to eat a point or so on the mortgage for you to prevent you from walking away and letting them eat the house. That 12k if good faith money may not come close to what they lose if they cant sell it for near the price you originally agreed to pay for it. You lose nothing by discussing it with them. Maybe tell them if they cant finish the house by your lock that they need to front the points on the mortgage to make up the increased rate or you will walk.

If you are in a high demand area then you got nothing to stand on, but if not then maybe you have a chance.

Tide27

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not saying this to be a dick, just doing some maths. Eating 12k is most assuredly the suck, but what is the difference in overall cost going to be over the life of the mortgage with that jump from 3.85% to 5.9%? Is it worth walking a way and waiting a year or two for housing to crash? Also consider with rates so high and people walking away from deals left and right, you might have some leverage with the builder to eat a point or so on the mortgage for you to prevent you from walking away and letting them eat the house. That 12k if good faith money may not come close to what they lose if they cant sell it for near the price you originally agreed to pay for it. You lose nothing by discussing it with them. Maybe tell them if they cant finish the house by your lock that they need to front the points on the mortgage to make up the increased rate or you will walk.

If you are in a high demand area then you got nothing to stand on, but if not then maybe you have a chance.
I see where you are coming from.

We had a chance to purchase in Florida around 2012. 185k or so for a home in Davenport, but there were a ton of houses not selling and we were waiting for prices to drop.

Then we moved to TN...houses were a bit more, but everyone talked about the " bubble " and houses would crater around 2016 or so....so we didn't buy at 225k or so

Now we are in Indiana and prices continue to go up to where unless you offer 50k+ above ask....you can't get a home, and all new constructions start around 285k+

Our rent was 900 in 2012 and now we are up to 2250 in 2022. When the fuck does it stop?

Interest rates have now jumped yet again, so in 2 years we will be at around 15% interest and 500k+ entry level homes and completely out of reach. Rent by then will be 3k+....so never an opportunity to get ahead.

The only people walking away are folks in my situation, but there are ton of property management companies just buying every home for cash and jacking the prices up, making it unaffordable for pretty much everyone.

Fucker

Log Wizard

To make matters worse, it is all for window dressing. Rate hikes will do nothing to slow down inflation, much less reverse it. All it will do is hobble the economy and price people out of homes.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
How many times am I allowed to sell my home to opendoor and buy it back? Infinite money glitch.
lulz noob

play hardcore and get a spraytan, frizzy hair and change your name,

then buy it back w/ zero downpayment and zero closing costs

but there are ton of property management companies just buying every home for cash and jacking the prices up, making it unaffordable for pretty much everyone.
yea these fucks are basically playing neighborhood monopoly and buying shit like baltic ave, and jackin it up, eventually someone has to rent