Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Has anyone here tried to fix the vent pipes on the roof? Here is the problem, my roof is ok, older, but still ok, but the seal things around my bathroom vents are shot and one of them has sprung a leak. So I dont want to do major rework on those vent pipes, just want a quick fix, like attaching another rubber grommet over the old vent grommets that are shot without tearing up my shingles and replacing the whole god damn thing. The rest of the thing is all metal and still OK, just the thing that fits around the vent, the rubber part is all deteriorated.

sort of like this, but on mine the steel flashing is taller and rubber is smaller.

flash.jpg

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like anyone that has roofing experience should be able to weigh in on the best way to attack it. One of my friends replaced on of my roofs recently, and he replaced all the vents/pipes at the time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm no expert on roofs but I think if you don't want to pull up the roof then all you can really do is caulk it up and plan on redoing it regularly.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I had to patch up a ceiling fan vent last year. but Ill be damned if I remember what I used to do it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think I found a solution. Checking around the nets they sell rubber/pvc gaskets that fit tightly around the vent pipe and over the old rubber gasket thingie.
perma-boot-vent-pipe-flashing-pbr-312-3br-64_400_compressed.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It's not to hard to pull up a few shingles uphill of the vent stack, put in your new flashing, and tack the old shingles back down. You don't have to take them out, just loosen them so your flashing is under the old shingles. I've done this a fair few times, and have never had leaks. Just be patient and work slowly, so you don't destroy the shingles.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So my hopes of simply reskinning/siding my stand alone garage have taken a grim turn....

The structure is a 24'x24' detatched 2 car garage. It's moderately old (built in the 70's) and the siding they used was Masonite and was decaying on the bottom layer badly. I figured I would strip it, and replace. Along with this the garage door was having issues closing (it was an old school one big ass panel style door on hinge) with wood rot around the bottom of the frame for it, and water damage around the door on the rear , which was a non-exterior rated door they slapped on before I bought the house.

It's a lot, but nothing I can't handle. Then I put a level up against the garage door frame and discover the reason the door wouldn't shut right was that the door frame was leaning 2.5 degrees to the right. And it looks like the whole building is as such. I do some research and it looks like this is something that is both correctable and inside my skillset to accomplish (with hiring myself a helper or two for a day)....

So I begin some basic demo work, I look at the old water damaged rear door. I am angry at it for being bad so figure I will give it a good tug and bet that it rips off in fear of my obvious might. Not only does it rip off, half the frame comes with it. I inspect a little and lo and behold... termites/carpenter ants or somesuch damage to the stud and frame. I spend some time therapeutically cursing at the universe and threatening God....

So now I am pulling the bad 70's paneling off the interior of the back wall to get at the inside of the wall and get a better look. I find where the insulation had apparently been also long co-opted into a rat condo. So now I am pulling insulation, yay fiberglass!.

Good news/Bad news time. Bad news, around 1/3 of the studs in the wall have the consistency of those bad wafer cookies you get at convenience stores due to the aforementioned bug damage. Good news, it looks like the bugs in question are no longer around, and the damaged studs are not all next to one another. So I quickly grab some lumber and throw in some additional supports to at least hopefully keep the garage from falling in on me.

At this point i'm ALMOST feeling accomplished, after completely sweat drenching my third shirt for the day (yay, outdoor construction in Texas in July!) Getting ready to start framing in where the new door is going to go (I'm moving it over a foot or so, plus widening it from a 30" to a 36" door. Crawl up and take a better look at the double stud top of the frame for the wall... And it's also good news/bad news... Bad news = It was also a food/hosing solution for the bugs. Good news = They're gone, and it only seems to be the bottom of the two studs going horizontal.

It's late enough that I am done for the day. Calling a load bearing wall company I've heard reasonably good things about tomorrow about possibly replacing that beam, maybe even doing some changes to the building. Time to call in people who do this shit for a living.

Photos spoiler-ed for size...
IMG_20180715_075609[1].jpg

IMG_20180715_110024[1].jpg

IMG_20180715_131851[1].jpg
I'm going to go yell at God some more now...

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Quick follow up on my super cold AC “problem”:

I’m sure it’s not the most accurate measuring device for air temperature, but I put a meat thermometer in my air register to get a ballpark temp reading. The air blowing out is 50 degrees. The air at my desk is 62 degrees. Near the thermostat it’s 72 degrees. 50 degrees is cold when you’re just... chilling... at your desk. Please advise :(

Vinen

God is dead
Quick follow up on my super cold AC “problem”:

I’m sure it’s not the most accurate measuring device for air temperature, but I put a meat thermometer in my air register to get a ballpark temp reading. The air blowing out is 50 degrees. The air at my desk is 62 degrees. Near the thermostat it’s 72 degrees. 50 degrees is cold when you’re just... chilling... at your desk. Please advise :(

Is your unit oversized?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like your ductwork may be wonky as well. I'd recommend having a HVAC person look at it if you haven't. Are you getting the 50 degrees from all the registers?
That’s a good question. They feel pretty cold but not AS cold as the one in my office. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to test until this weekend.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So my hopes of simply reskinning/siding my stand alone garage have taken a grim turn....

The structure is a 24'x24' detatched 2 car garage. It's moderately old (built in the 70's) and the siding they used was Masonite and was decaying on the bottom layer badly. I figured I would strip it, and replace. Along with this the garage door was having issues closing (it was an old school one big ass panel style door on hinge) with wood rot around the bottom of the frame for it, and water damage around the door on the rear , which was a non-exterior rated door they slapped on before I bought the house.

It's a lot, but nothing I can't handle. Then I put a level up against the garage door frame and discover the reason the door wouldn't shut right was that the door frame was leaning 2.5 degrees to the right. And it looks like the whole building is as such. I do some research and it looks like this is something that is both correctable and inside my skillset to accomplish (with hiring myself a helper or two for a day)....

So I begin some basic demo work, I look at the old water damaged rear door. I am angry at it for being bad so figure I will give it a good tug and bet that it rips off in fear of my obvious might. Not only does it rip off, half the frame comes with it. I inspect a little and lo and behold... termites/carpenter ants or somesuch damage to the stud and frame. I spend some time therapeutically cursing at the universe and threatening God....

So now I am pulling the bad 70's paneling off the interior of the back wall to get at the inside of the wall and get a better look. I find where the insulation had apparently been also long co-opted into a rat condo. So now I am pulling insulation, yay fiberglass!.

Good news/Bad news time. Bad news, around 1/3 of the studs in the wall have the consistency of those bad wafer cookies you get at convenience stores due to the aforementioned bug damage. Good news, it looks like the bugs in question are no longer around, and the damaged studs are not all next to one another. So I quickly grab some lumber and throw in some additional supports to at least hopefully keep the garage from falling in on me.

At this point i'm ALMOST feeling accomplished, after completely sweat drenching my third shirt for the day (yay, outdoor construction in Texas in July!) Getting ready to start framing in where the new door is going to go (I'm moving it over a foot or so, plus widening it from a 30" to a 36" door. Crawl up and take a better look at the double stud top of the frame for the wall... And it's also good news/bad news... Bad news = It was also a food/hosing solution for the bugs. Good news = They're gone, and it only seems to be the bottom of the two studs going horizontal.

It's late enough that I am done for the day. Calling a load bearing wall company I've heard reasonably good things about tomorrow about possibly replacing that beam, maybe even doing some changes to the building. Time to call in people who do this shit for a living.

Photos spoiler-ed for size...
I'm going to go yell at God some more now...

Well, shit. Yet another reason we're glad we didn't buy this time around (First reason is the flooding, since we're in Houston). Depending on where you are, I'm almost tempted to offer help, but it's fucking summer in Texas, hahaha.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
That’s a good question. They feel pretty cold but not AS cold as the one in my office. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to test until this weekend.
do you have access to your ductwork? is it attic or basement?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well, shit. Yet another reason we're glad we didn't buy this time around (First reason is the flooding, since we're in Houston). Depending on where you are, I'm almost tempted to offer help, but it's fucking summer in Texas, hahaha.

Fear not for me... Yeah it's summer in Texas. This went from "Just prepping the garage for reskinning with new siding when it cools off a little in a month or two" straight to "Unless something seriously changes it's time to pay people who suffer this heat for a living to fix this"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Pics of the shower stuff from a few years back I believe I posted about - just found them while cleaning out computer HDD lol.

TLDR: Water was seeping into the wife's closet... wtf, found it was after or during a shower...found some loose floor tiles... opened it up to find...yuuge crack...1970s house no cement board just "water resistant drywal" and once the floor was disturbed it was a chain reaction of tiles falling off - gutted it all...still have not painted over odd purple paint. It looks like such a small job, but gosh it was a lot of work. oh and my old potty...god that was another disaster >_< PIT TO HELL...but that is another story.

enjoy pics of my bad tile work - I actually like the odd step design for the shower head faucet area lol.

IMG_20160806_1715478.jpg

IMG_20160806_1811361.jpg

IMG_20160806_1914312.jpg

IMG_20160807_1344493.jpg

IMG_20160807_1344514.jpg

IMG_20160807_1611464.jpg

IMG_20160813_1331503.jpg

IMG_20160813_1505160.jpg

IMG_20160820_1413263.jpg

IMG_20160820_1413380.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
PHOTO_20180719_162439.jpg

Downed tree on my neighbors powerline, she has already called the power company, she has power. Luckily no property damage, no fence

so how do i go about this? i called my insurance and they said if needed, i can take care of cleanup and file a claim.

Looking for direction

hopefully the power company will just take away the whole broken thing, my neighbor said maybe they have to take out the tree??? i mean it looks bad but it's still has half of it looking good.