Home Improvement

Siliconemelons

Well, compressor works... if it didn't burn itself out- then just a new fan should get it back going.

AC dude I am sure would want to check pressures balance and seals incase something didn't make it through the ordeal peachy keen.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've just completed creating a 49x83 inch butcher block countertop for my new island. I'm oiling it up, and I'm so excited about it. I'll post pictures at some point, but this is awesome.

I got "carpenters grade" butcher block because I liked the look of it with the knots and bits in it, but it wasn't square by a mile. After biscuit-joining it, there was an (to me) unacceptable gap between the two pieces. I routed out a 3/4" trough and glued in a new strip above and below the biscuits. It's incredibly strong, and even though I have a 21" over-hang, it's secure. I actually jumped up and down on it, and it's solid. No posts, just cantilever iron brackets. I can fit six stools around it.

I am slowly redoing the whole kitchen. I went from virtually no counterspace to a huge island, and more. My kitchen is shaping up to be awesome. Working now on the pantry that will be on either side of the fridge. 30 inches on either side, 20 inches deep. That's a lot of pantry.

I'd post pictures now, but I took them on my iPhone, and I don't know how to remove the personal data that would allow you fartheads to dox me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I'd post pictures now, but I took them on my iPhone, and I don't know how to remove the personal data that would allow you fartheads to dox me.

It isn't apple, but I know that google photos auto removes geo-location and I wanna say I think imgur does as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

In windows, right click > details and at the bottom will be a link "Remove properties and personal Information". Do this on a copy of the picture if you want to keep that data intact for your use.

If you're going to post it directly from your phone, GuardianX has it right.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm oiling it up

jAhSJHU.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
In windows, right click > details and at the bottom will be a link "Remove properties and personal Information". Do this on a copy of the picture if you want to keep that data intact for your use.

If you're going to post it directly from your phone, GuardianX has it right.

can also just snip the pic and upload snip to imgr

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Random thought - what if you dove tailed all the connections...oh that would look sexy af on a big butcher block counter :)

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Random thought - what if you dove tailed all the connections...oh that would look sexy af on a big butcher block counter :)

That would be amazing. However, I can't imagine accomplishing that in a timely fashion. I'm slow at this stuff, I want it to be perfect, so I take a lot of time setting up and executing. That many dovetails would likely drive me to excessive drinking.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone know what's a fair estimate for repairing a sliding glass door? I have to have the wheels and locking mechanism replaced. It would be easy if I had the door off, but I don't trust myself not to shatter my door.

Vinen

God is dead
Anyone know what's a fair estimate for repairing a sliding glass door? I have to have the wheels and locking mechanism replaced. It would be easy if I had the door off, but I don't trust myself not to shatter my door.

Find a handyman. I wouldn't pay more than 100-200. This is a really small job so the cost may be higher than if you had other jobs as well.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I was under the house yesterday getting ready to reroute some flex duct so my shop door doesn’t swing into it and discovered that all of my under cabinet vents (kitchen and bathrooms) have extreme condensation issues. Each had at least 1sq ft of rotten subfloor and when I demo’d the cabinet floor (laminated MDF) to get to the subfloor I found the whole underside (MDF) was covered in thick white mold.

I immediately took the moldy MDF outside to give it a lethal dose of radiation and got to work on wiping down the subfloor and drying it out with fans and a dehumidifier. I happen to have a moisture meter so I continually checked how well the subfloor was drying out. It went from over 50% in the worst areas to about 16% in a couple hours, but the areas where the subfloor is clearly rotten underneath (not visible from the top) aren’t dropping below that 18-16% moisture range.

I’m reasonably confident that the root cause of the issue is the static air pressure under the cabinets was high enough to force cold air down through the space between the vent and the subfloor. When that cold air met with the super humid hot air in my vented crawlspace it condensed on the subfloor and the insulation held all that moisture against the wood, further compounding the problem.

Looking for feedback on my current plan of action:
  1. Properly seal the edges of the vents with spray foam/gap filler so air won’t be pushed down into the crawlspace any more.
  2. Cut out the rotted sections of subfloor and replace them.
  3. Replace the moldy laminated MDF (possibly replace the whole vanity)
  4. Increase the size of the vent grill opening so there isn’t as much static pressure building up under the cabinet/vanity.
What do you guys think? Got any experience with this lurkingdirk lurkingdirk ? P Picasso3 if you’re still lurking :)

Initial discovery:
CBD2C7A0-A751-4617-B39D-49F1DF88A7EA.jpeg

Pre-cleanup
B6C58F28-B46F-4CBD-BA34-FD18D816BB14.jpeg

Post-cleanup and drying (white residue is dried concrobium)
04403C50-D084-49B4-9CE9-45FFDB6FE985.jpeg