Home Improvement

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If it's not just a basic, cheap window figure out how to take the parts out, and get a company to make a new, sealed pane for that part of the window. That's cheap.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it doesn't sound like you had repairs going over the repair allowance, so you could just ignore it?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
OOF. That was a windy as fuck day. I had my contractor (not living in house right now) check for me after I saw your post. My roof didn't get damaged thankfully.
Yeah I mean normally nothing should happen especially because my roof is newer ( less than 10).

Oh well free roof

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
it doesn't sound like you had repairs going over the repair allowance, so you could just ignore it?
They're a young couple with a 4 month old baby. I can technically ignore it, but I want to take care of them and this isn't exactly a ridiculous amount of effort.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If it's not just a basic, cheap window figure out how to take the parts out, and get a company to make a new, sealed pane for that part of the window. That's cheap.
I'm not familiar with this - do I provide the company measurements and they provide the window as a unit or just the sash or...? I took the bottom sash out didn't see the fasteners to release the top sash. That's when I learned the difference between single hung and double hung :emoji_grimacing:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not familiar with this - do I provide the company measurements and they provide the window as a unit or just the sash or...? I took the bottom sash out didn't see the fasteners to release the top sash. That's when I learned the difference between single hung and double hung :emoji_grimacing:
if you took it out, just bring it to home depot and say, gimme one, if you're lucky they'll have that size in stock, and if they don't sell that manufacturer, i'm sure they'll be able to tell you what company does

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
With the usual twist out hinged windows you can call up a glass/window shop and ask if they fix em, pop it out, and drop it off.

"Popping it out" is easier said than done, but im sure YouTube can help.

Removing the frame (what your inside mouldings attach to) is something you don't want to get into usually.

• 1Like

Picasso3

Home depot etc have whole windows with frame. Generally there's an assembly that fits inside there so it's easy to replace broken glass. Not to say buying the whole window from home depot, taking out the part you need to put into your frame and storing the rest isn't an option.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
And I'm remembering now that Menards will actually make a pretty quality window to custom size for under $300 (provided it's an average size, and not huge). You might want to check that out, too.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
And I'm remembering now that Menards will actually make a pretty quality window to custom size for under $300 (provided it's an average size, and not huge). You might want to check that out, too.
Closest Menards to Raleigh is like Cincinnati, OH :(

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I can get the bottom sash out easily. Unfortunately, the top sash is the one with the leak. After watching a few YouTube vids, it looks like I’d have to pull back the siding and J channel to reach the fasteners holding the window unit in? That sounds like something I want to pay someone to do.

5C1A2B48-C411-434A-87C0-034BBFC5B7C2.jpeg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There really should be some way to get that out without bending your trim. Keep looking. Be brave.
Kept looking; it definitely appears to be removable. I think this bar may be covering the lever/toggles that are holding the upper sash in place?

I took out the screws the other day when I first looked at it and couldn’t get it to separate from the sash. It was 25 degrees at the time so I wasn’t trying to break anything.

2503D6AD-54BA-485E-A905-E7E153F2AE38.jpeg

536E5EDB-A05C-4A8B-969C-99534FF622A6.jpeg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I took out the bottom sash and taking it with me to the home depot down the road. Hopefully there'll be a matching sash there and someone to tell me what I'm missing as far as getting the top sash out.

Edit: just got back. Not sure what I expected from the homeless despot, but they weren’t very useful.

I did some more digging and managed to slide the bottom trim away from the glass of the top sash. Looks like this is never meant to come out as there’s a fastener BETWEEN the panes attaching it to the trim.

2551F7C0-2871-4217-A4EC-6CFE1623A1B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well I've got the adjuster and emergency tarp service coming tomorrow. We're expecting snow Tuesday and I don't want to risk any water damage (parents house had black mold). Kind of worried the adjuster will see something fundamentally wrong and say we get $0

Picasso3

Bummer. Looks like you may be able to pull that trim out all around and remove a single pane. Not sure about putting it back with argon or whatever, try a Google for "glazier".

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
How is that vertical bar attached? Is it a single folded piece? It doesn't look like it is from the pictures, it looks like there is a way to pop out that glass pane.

My Windows are older and wooden though, not vinyl. I pretty much have to take the entire frame out to fix them. Which I've done a few times and it's annoying. Gotta be a way to pop out that vertical bar though. Do they lever at an angle? Maybe a few small screws on the outer edge?

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Bummer. Looks like you may be able to pull that trim out all around and remove a single pane. Not sure about putting it back with argon or whatever, try a Google for "glazier".
I've admitted defeat and am calling a window replacement company tomorrow. My realtor says they can make the exact same window so it matches the rest on the front of the house.

How is that vertical bar attached? Is it a single folded piece? It doesn't look like it is from the pictures, it looks like there is a way to pop out that glass pane.

My Windows are older and wooden though, not vinyl. I pretty much have to take the entire frame out to fix them. Which I've done a few times and it's annoying. Gotta be a way to pop out that vertical bar though. Do they lever at an angle? Maybe a few small screws on the outer edge?
Not sure which vertical bar you're asking about. All the vertical bars that appear to create smaller sections of glass are between the two panes. The glass panes themselves are a single sheet of glass. As far as I can tell, the center, horizontal bar is fastened to the frame by plastic hangars on both ends. The fact that the fastener holding the hangar to the frame is between the two panes of glass leads me to believe that the top sash was never meant to be serviced by knuckleheads such as myself.

• 1Like