Home Improvement

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I started out with the makita sp6000j1 kit and haven't really been impressed, wouldn't hesitate to give one of those a try if you don't need to plunge a lot. Kreg is good stuff in my experience.

Yeah the price as well as the manufacturer are both appealing, plus I can use whatever circular I want in the system.

Debating hitting up a big box for it in case it fucks up royally.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah the price as well as the manufacturer are both appealing, plus I can use whatever circular I want in the system.

I agree with the big box plan, There were complaints on the makita about the track not being straight so it's prob possible with all of them and you could swap it out no problem.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

yo, this month amazon started next day delivery on everything for me, they use amazon delivery, it's basically a bunch of independent guys they contract to deliver shit, they don't even have a truck, i've seen $19.99 uhauls pull up to my house and guys drop off a package and take a pic(they take a snapshot of all deliver and upload to your account).

and amazon takes back anything, i had some woodclamp that didn't have the plastic nubs on the end, and they sent me a replacement the next day. you'd actually save time if you just do amazon now if they have next day for you.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
yo, this month amazon started next day delivery on everything for me, they use amazon delivery, it's basically a bunch of independent guys they contract to deliver shit, they don't even have a truck, i've seen $19.99 uhauls pull up to my house and guys drop off a package and take a pic(they take a snapshot of all deliver and upload to your account).

and amazon takes back anything, i had some woodclamp that didn't have the plastic nubs on the end, and they sent me a replacement the next day. you'd actually save time if you just do amazon now if they have next day for you.

Yeah I know but big box is better about returns over time too. Go buy a new one and exchange it if it was defective.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I know but big box is better about returns over time too. Go buy a new one and exchange it if it was defective.
idk, i've actually returned 1yr old led light bulbs that stopped working on amazon. (it was a motion sensing led light bulb, so rarely turned on)

but yea, i hear you, if you know your store, easy returns are good too

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I'll look at the drain. I know at least one of them is draining

There are specific curves around temperature on the lines and refrigerant levels. You can get a line temperature sensor for pretty cheap and check your lines and get SOME insight about the refrigerant without having to get someone out to put gauges on it.

You need to make sure you check which type of refrigerant you have in your unit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i got a question, why can i easily buy refrigerant and top off my car ac, but i need to call a pro for the house? whats the difference?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
And volume. I imagine a vehicle uses a smaller quantity. Possibly easier to purge and pump new refrigerant as well?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Looking for a track saw system and found:

Anyone have any experience with track saw systems that aren't 200+ usd?
I got the cheaper version of that. It’s -ok-. If I was handier with a circular saw I wouldn’t have felt the need to buy one, but it’s way better than freehanding and more conveniently sized than using a factory edge of a sheet of plywood.

I think the product you linked would work pretty well so long as you take the time to adjust and set the attachment fasteners and set screws properly.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And volume. I imagine a vehicle uses a smaller quantity. Possibly easier to purge and pump new refrigerant as well?
i believe legally, you have get it'd pumped out of your system into a tank, cuz no one wants those freons in the air, if you want to purge.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Great idea, but never works as well as a track system, and needs replacing often.

Yes, but I'd say it works better than a <$200 track system, which is what he was after. The cheap ones always flex due to chintzy materials. If it ends up not doing the job you're only out $5 in scrap and 20 min of time.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yes, but I'd say it works better than a <$200 track system, which is what he was after. Hard to go wrong for an all-in cost of <$10 if you're not going to use it much.

I've done the home made thingie, and I got a track system. If this track system ever wears out, I'll get another one immediately. Works very well, better than what I made. Totally worth the money to me if I have to rip something and the table saw isn't an option. I've had excellent success with very accurate cuts on the track.

Captain Suave

I've done the home made thingie, and I got a track system. If this track system ever wears out, I'll get another one immediately. Works very well, better than what I made. Totally worth the money to me if I have to rip something and the table saw isn't an option. I've had excellent success with very accurate cuts on the track.

Which do you recommend? I've used a couple cheap models owned by friends and been unimpressed. I'm willing to be wrong though. Good tracks are very nice - they obviously exist for a reason.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
when would the table saw not be an option?

Captain Suave

when would the table saw not be an option?

Large sheet goods are sketchy on a table saw unless you have a massive table or have invested in wings/extensions. There's no really safe way to do a shallow crosscut a 8x'4' sheet on a contractor saw that has a 3' table, and even if you get it done it's hard to keep the cut totally straight.