Home Improvement

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Right, I was answering the question as to why you'd want a tracksaw vs. using a table saw.

Grizzly has a nice copycat plunge type track saw that seems to be pretty good.

I always just made one myself from 1/2' mdf. Did the job good enough. Maybe not furniture grade, but youc an always just use it to tear the 4x8 sheet down to more manageable pieces then use the tablesaw for more precise cuts.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
On the fence thing I had the back of my yard fenced with the new PVC fence stuff It hink it was about 200 ft? and it cost $3K for mats and install. Plus they removed the old chalin link fence shit that was there.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm pricing out mine to do myself right now as well, but it's just the yard. My yard is like some roto-tilled it, and then just spread seed and never smoothed it out. So it's basically so terrible with random holes, you more likely to break your ankle than have any fun out there. Real basic plan so far:

Spread fertilizer to help grass grow
rototill the whole yard to mix it all up
rake it all flat
spread seed
rake the seed to mix it in
Use a water roller to compact it down
Don't step on it, and water it like hell for 4-6 weeks!

That about sum it up?
My yard is very bumpy. I've always wanted to smooth it out but that's just one of those projects that is so far down my evergrowing list

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My yard is very bumpy. I've always wanted to smooth it out but that's just one of those projects that is so far down my evergrowing list
Yea with kids 6, 4, and 2, playing outside is becoming a bigger and bigger thing. At first I thought it was dogs, like Brahma's yard, but it's all over so no way dogs did it that evenly all over.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive had luck before at my old house in just reseeding. Waht I did is cut the lawn really really close in the early spring, then got topsoil delivered to even out the rough spots, maybe 5 yds?. Then seeded the whole thing. Raked the seed in as best as I could. covered the seed with lawn clippings. turned out really well.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Removal might be part of the high price, depending on the area and disposal regulations. Its all pressure-treated wood so you can imagine that's special, not like you can throw it in the chipper and spread it around a tree like mulch.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So my backyard is absolute shit. Previous owner owned 8 ridgeback dogs. So now it's all mounds and weeds, with chewed up fences. I had a few contractors/landscapers come in and give me prices for the total job. New deck, fence, storm doors x2, removal etc. 10k-18k are the estimates. This seems crazy high. I mean I just want a plain old palisade fence, and a 14x10 deck. Somewhere to put the grill and chairs...

Someone who has never done this sort of work, can I put up at least the fence you think?

Pic attached.View attachment 212160
is it just that one section of fence you want to replace? obviously the weather beaten section, looks like it leads into a metal fence, are you gonna replace that too? why are three 3 different fences?

that neighbor with the missing fence section just didn't give a shit either? i'm assuming that fence section is yours (the ugly side denotes owner usually)

also has the wheel barrow been turnt over ever since? yikes what colony do you have living underneath there.

storm doors are an easy 2 person job or a tough 1person job, if you're just gonna put the slab on and no new moulding or frame, imo.

you deck looks fine, maybe power wash it to see all the grim go away frist, it doesn't look sun damanged and just looks like paint is gone.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm pricing out mine to do myself right now as well, but it's just the yard. My yard is like some roto-tilled it, and then just spread seed and never smoothed it out. So it's basically so terrible with random holes, you more likely to break your ankle than have any fun out there. Real basic plan so far:

Spread fertilizer to help grass grow
rototill the whole yard to mix it all up
rake it all flat
spread seed
rake the seed to mix it in
Use a water roller to compact it down
Don't step on it, and water it like hell for 4-6 weeks!

That about sum it up?
lulz i'm nursing a sprained ankle from the most recent mow, i guess theres a fucking mole in my yard.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Witht the fence thing too, in my city, I had to get permission from my neighbor that the fence impacted. I had to get an authorization form signed and delivered to city hall.so i would check into any ordinances as well.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
is it just that one section of fence you want to replace? obviously the weather beaten section, looks like it leads into a metal fence, are you gonna replace that too? why are three 3 different fences?

that neighbor with the missing fence section just didn't give a shit either? i'm assuming that fence section is yours (the ugly side denotes owner usually)

also has the wheel barrow been turnt over ever since? yikes what colony do you have living underneath there.

storm doors are an easy 2 person job or a tough 1person job, if you're just gonna put the slab on and no new moulding or frame, imo.

you deck looks fine, maybe power wash it to see all the grim go away frist, it doesn't look sun damanged and just looks like paint is gone.

That WB has been there maybe a week. Discovered it behind the garage! 3 fences because the guy that owned the house prior was a dick, and didn't want to pay/discuss the fencing with the neighbors.

So the fence would be pretty much the entire yard, minus where my neigbors fence is in good shape. You can't see that in the picture. I own the fence missing/worn. The neighbor with the missing fence offered to go half with that section that's missing. I want the whole thing replaced. Not negotiating. Just going to pay for it.

The chain link fence goes around back, starting from where you see, goes the entire side of house, to the front of my yard. Too much to dig that up. I am going to have the new fence go from the back/front of the garage where you see that chain link fence. The entire length of that missing/worn fence to the neighbors good fence. Couple of gates for access.

That deck is power washed. Still looks like shit. Plus I want it low to the ground, and larger. I may even put the deck against the back fence away from the house, with a stone path leading to the deck. Or have them build a wooden path there raised made of the same deck wood. This would be coming from the back door of the house. Not practical. Just for the look. Kinda like this:

patio-for-small-backyard-cheap-patio-ideas-backyard-nice-outdoor-easy-stone-patio-small-backyard.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My yard has multiple fences along one side, just the way it is sometimes. At least one neighbor I know for sure would not want to replace his, and another neighbor has a really nice (believe it or not) hand made wood fence. We went chain link so the dog can harass everyone that walks by.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That WB has been there maybe a week. Discovered it behind the garage! 3 fences because the guy that owned the house prior was a dick, and didn't want to pay/discuss the fencing with the neighbors.

So the fence would be pretty much the entire yard, minus where my neigbors fence is in good shape. You can't see that in the picture. I own the fence missing/worn. The neighbor with the missing fence offered to go half with that section that's missing. I want the whole thing replaced. Not negotiating. Just going to pay for it.

The chain link fence goes around back, starting from where you see, goes the entire side of house, to the front of my yard. Too much to dig that up. I am going to have the new fence go from the back/front of the garage where you see that chain link fence. The entire length of that missing/worn fence to the neighbors good fence. Couple of gates for access.

That deck is power washed. Still looks like shit. Plus I want it low to the ground, and larger. I may even put the deck against the back fence away from the house, with a stone path leading to the deck. Or have them build a wooden path there raised made of the same deck wood. This would be coming from the back door of the house. Not practical. Just for the look. Kinda like this:

View attachment 212190
lulz your free wheelbarrow is the best looking thing in that pic, tbh

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No, 18K is definitely a FU quote

We had our fence done for about $5k on a 0.25 acre lot.

Landscaping really is easy, just time consuming. I've been landscaping my yard and it's probably the last time I'll ever do it myself.

Storm doors.. meeehhhh you could probably handle that.

18k is not a lot of money noodleface.

I make a lot of money, and it is more than 18k.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Vinen

God is dead
My mom built an $80k kitchen. Had an extension built on the back of the house just to have a large kitchen. It turned out great. Expensive, but great.

Something something something land something something :|

I don't want to cut into my deck and I'd like to keep what little yard I have for my son to have an outside play area.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm prepping to replace the nasty backspash that came with the house
(previous owner foto)
4a402934dbcc74cc8186f8ae412421ec.png

gonna get me a Tacklife SC-L01-50 Feet Laser Level Self-Leveling Horizontal and Vertical Cross-Line Laser - Magnetic Mount Base and Carrying Pouch, Battery Included sounds like a good investment, i can whip out my old tripod too

anything else i should think about (besides a smalleler notched trowels) i still have that experience from tiling my porch, so i'm cool on that, the laser level will keep my lines straight.

i have no idea what i want to do, tbh, i just have to do something, i'm sure i won't fuck it up, and it's only 18 sq/ft so not like theres much there. (even the granite countertop is still level, i checked all the sides)