Home Improvement

Fucker

Log Wizard
Remember as a kid hearing the PSAs about all the people who died from falling asleep smoking in bed?

rwe.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I added the struts to the new passthrough window.

struts.jpg

Built the bartop that will project out through the window:

bar.jpg

And did a test run at making fake bamboo out of PVC pipe:

bamboo.jpg

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hired a company to come out and do a garage floor epoxy coating:

floor.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did you pick out the oreo milkshake design or is that a clear coat with the concrete just being speckled? Either way, looks nice, I wouldn't mind doing the same as it'd make cleaning up massive amounts of sawdust and shit easier.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
He had a bunch of sample tiles from the company that manufactures the epoxy line that he uses. I looked through the samples and that one looked the best to me. They use a lot of those paint flecks, they have a video showing them with a sample install and they are throwing down buckets of paint flecks in it.

I've done three different garage coatings myself and they look great but haven't held up over the years. I'm just using the cheap kits from Home Depot though, this guy used some higher quality stuff, which you can buy direct from the company but I just had him do it all and figured I would concentrate on finishing out the space.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He had a bunch of sample tiles from the company that manufactures the epoxy line that he uses. I looked through the samples and that one looked the best to me. They use a lot of those paint flecks, they have a video showing them with a sample install and they are throwing down buckets of paint flecks in it.

I've done three different garage coatings myself and they look great but haven't held up over the years. I'm just using the cheap kits from Home Depot though, this guy used some higher quality stuff, which you can buy direct from the company but I just had him do it all and figured I would concentrate on finishing out the space.
yea i wanted to coat my garage floor, but they suggested i wait till fall when it's cooler and not death (using self kit)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

As I'm sure you know from your past experience, installing epoxy floors is pretty easy. But there's a SIGNIFICANT qualitative difference between a project that had proper surface cleaning and preparation and/or using low quality resin. I'm a huge fan of Stonecoat Countertops epoxy. Admittedly I don't have first hand experience with a wide variety of epoxy products, but you buy this stuff directly from them and it's quality. No comparison to what you'd get off the shelf at a retailer.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
exactly, this guy brought in a diamond grinder and spent half a day just prepping the floor, stuff that I would never have done myself.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Such as? I mean I can see that people might like the looks but I don't think most people are that into interior decorating in the garage.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ice rink of death is a valid concern somewhere that it gets cold, I guess.

I've never noticed any ice in my garage. Cold here is like 25F though. And that's depth of winter all the locals start wondering about their sins sort of COLD.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Such as? I mean I can see that people might like the looks but I don't think most people are that into interior decorating in the garage.
Off the top of my head: traction, impact absorption, protection from leaks/spills absorbing into the concrete.

A downside that I haven’t looked into is that I imagine it’s a pain in the ass to remove and install a new floor. But if installed correctly, it should be a lifetime product.

Vinen

God is dead
I had epoxy applied to my 100+ year old garage and it took the garage from a giant smelly mess of oil/whatever that had seeped into the concrete into a space that was tolerable to work in. Can't even smell a hint of the history.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
From what I've read, the epoxy is very slippery when wet as well. I'm guessing it's not good if you ever want to weld or use a cutting torch in there either.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It has the anti-slip stuff added, yeah you do want that.

I started framing out the small window bar.

cabinet framing.jpg

I also want some scuba themed stuff so I asked my dive instructor how much some scuba tanks would cost, he said "oh about $600" so I checked Craigslist and found 3x CO2 tanks from a soft drink stand for $20 each. I think I can clean them up and repaint them.

scuba tanks.jpg

Our local Cheeseburger in Paradise went bankrupt and sold all of their fixtures, I saw this and should have bought it at the auction, it went for $120:

bar top.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user