Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
While installing a door i remembered i had this Super PDR Auto Air Wedge Pump Alignment Tool Inflatable Shim Pry Bar Kits and Leveling Tool for Auto Repair Home Universal Use(2 Square air Wedge)

i'm pretty sure the use is to put it between a car door and break in easily (tho they advertise it for other "uses"), anyway i forget why i have one (actually have two), but i dropped it on the floor and gave it two pumps and it propped up the door to the perfect height.

previously i'd just rest the door on my toes and flex to raise or lower, ha. This is a much better solution.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
While installing a door i remembered i had this Super PDR Auto Air Wedge Pump Alignment Tool Inflatable Shim Pry Bar Kits and Leveling Tool for Auto Repair Home Universal Use(2 Square air Wedge)

i'm pretty sure the use is to put it between a car door and break in easily (tho they advertise it for other "uses"), anyway i forget why i have one (actually have two), but i dropped it on the floor and gave it two pumps and it propped up the door to the perfect height.

previously i'd just rest the door on my toes and flex to raise or lower, ha. This is a much better solution.

All you DIY home peeps should buy a Jaw Horse, they go on sale for $120 ish bucks. They are invaluable in a dozen ways, nothing is better to hold up a solid core door for install and not bending the shit out of the hinges.

rockwell-saw-horses-rk9003-64_1000.jpg

a8b2ecda-cf8c-4f68-8be7-7418dd6566b6.jpg

I use them in heavy duty industrial settings and have killed at least 3, but I always go buy 2 more.

Find a plywood drop and a couple short pieces of 2x4 and make a little platform to bolt your chop saw on.

Thank me later.

Fair Warning, they arent a piece of shit, they are heavy and that is a turn off to pussies, but that makes them stable.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
All you DIY home peeps should buy a Jaw Horse, they go on sale for $120 ish bucks. They are invaluable in a dozen ways, nothing is better to hold up a solid core door for install and not bending the shit out of the hinges.

rockwell-saw-horses-rk9003-64_1000.jpg

a8b2ecda-cf8c-4f68-8be7-7418dd6566b6.jpg

I use them in heavy duty industrial settings and have killed at least 3, but I always go buy 2 more.

Find a plywood drop and a couple short pieces of 2x4 and make a little platform to bolt your chop saw on.

Thank me later.

Fair Warning, they arent a piece of shit, they are heavy and that is a turn off to pussies, but that makes them stable.
yea thats probably my next non electric purpose purchase. gonna see if i can get away with having that thing instead of a real bench and vise.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Had some time to work on the tiki shed this weekend. I found some perfectly themed octopus shelf brackets at hobby lobby:

shelf bracket.jpg

The shelf is a piece of pine that I hit with the blowtorch to char it up.

shelf.jpg

I started on the bar trim. Ripped it on the table saw, mapped out a design and carved that with the router, then blackened it up with the torch. Once I get that nailed down I can put on the stainless speed rail and apply some coats of poly and call it done.

bar trim.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I had some homeowner fun the last couple of weeks. We have a house that my grandparents used to live in and it was rented out when I moved back to Montana I didn't want to displace them so I moved into an older, shittier house that was on a nearby ranch that we lease. 10 years later, the renters finally moved out and now I'm going to move over there, but I want to do some remodeling before I move in.

All summer it's been empty but I haven't had much time to work on it so I had the water shut off. A few weeks ago I wanted to pressure wash and reseal the decks so I turned on the water and nothing happened. Went out to the well pit and found this.

water1.jpg

A fitting rusted out, the pit filled with water, floated the pressure tank, tipped it over and covered everything with mud. Great.

So I went to town, got a new fitting as well as a pressure switch, control box, and pressure gauge and stood the tank back up, replaced the fitting (along with another one that actually broke when I took it apart) put on the new pressure switch, gauge, and control box, turned on the power and the pump came on, but wouldn't push more than 20 psi (It's supposed to keep it between 40 and 60). I'm thinking maybe something is turned on in the house or something so I put the cap on the pressure switch and it shocks me. I measured from ground to the switch and various places on the pipe and they're all showing 50-90 volts for some reason. I dinked around for a while troubleshooting, disconnecting various things and replacing pieces of wire but I can't explain it. Eventually the pump stops turning on completely. We had a nearby rancher get electrocuted in a well pit a couple years back, so even though I'm pretty confident with electrical stuff I decide to quit fucking with it and call the local well repair people. They figured out that the powerline coming into the pit is faulty and they noticed than even the walls of the pit had some juice to them. They pulled the well and put a new pump on but tell me I need to replace the power coming in to the pit.

They left me a piece of direct bury wire but I decided to put it in conduit so back to town for that. I had this guy actively filling in the hole as I dug it...

water6.jpg

But it turns out I can out-dig a gopher so I got it trenched across.

water3.jpg

Put the wire into the conduit and the conduit into the trench, filled in the trench, wired everything back up in the pit, turned on the juice and it pressured up! But...

water2.png

Another rusted out fitting. Fuck.

I decide that these fittings are probably all shit, so I go back to the store and replace all of the fittings with brass. All except one long galvanized nipple because they don't have one that long in brass. It costs $120 but I'm sick of this shit.

Put it all back together...

water5.jpg

It pressures up and everything looks good so I go to the basement and turn on the water into the house...

water4.jpg

Apparently the pressure is higher now and the sediment filter gave out. Back to town for a new sediment filter, get it home and find out that if you don't have copper pipes, you have to buy an optional mounting bracket. One more trip to the hardware store and I really hope that today I'm going to get the water into the house. What a pain in the ass.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 7 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
any reason you can't copper/sharkbite well stuff?

I've never seen it but I don't know of any particular reason it wouldn't work. Might take a lot of adapting I suppose because the pressure tank, switch, gauge, check valve, etc. are all threaded.

Water7.jpg

New sediment filter is installed and the water is working. Thank god.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The testosterone has been really strong in this thread as of late, I approve.

Someday I will post pics of my Kitchen/Living Room/Dining Room remodel from 2018...someday.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I picked up some wicker furniture over the weekend and I found a really tacky oil painting at the Salvation Army for $4, major score. Also got the rope lighting and LED's all installed and it really helps round out the whole thing, especially now that it gets dark so early.

oil painting.jpg

lighting.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I built the hurricane racks over the weekend, turned out to be the perfect place to hang the Captain's cabin medallion I found at Hobby Lobby. Next step is to cover all of the exposed electrical conduit with bamboo.

hurricane 2.jpg

hurricane 1.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It's not a decorating style that I care for, but I certainly appreciate your amazing attention to detail. I hope you soon get to fill it with your friends and enjoy it!

Vinen

God is dead
It's not a decorating style that I care for, but I certainly appreciate your amazing attention to detail. I hope you soon get to fill it with your friends and enjoy it!

Agree. Not a fan of the style but dear god I wish I was as handy as you are.

Vinen

God is dead
House Renovation almost done...

Appliances being delivered 1st full week of November
Countertops chosen (Dark Grey/Black Soapstone)