Home Improvement

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
That's my problem right there. Previous owner had a slightly larger than usual lot and planted a second house on it to double his rental revenues. So I'm basically squeezed where everyone was originally draining to.

When I got here two years ago the entire house would be surrounded by a moat every rain. God damn miracle not more water got in there over the years. I regraded all of it that year but the back corner still remained rather sketchy.

Downspout situation isn't too bad, the roof is discharging in other corners. The tiny roof of my basement door doesn't have gutters tho and half of it drips on my problem corner. I'm thinking to install one and have it discharge... Uh somewhere.

Smearing stuff inside isn't really an option. Walls are drywalled and frankly I don't have much confidence in that stuff.

P_20190827_161250.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i remember seeing this video a while ago, and today i saw a 1$ door at menards, cuz it has 2 doornob holes

i mean why not.

it's nothing special btw, i'm just replacing all my doors that have the flat 1990s style door with this 6panel
3bac4994a20f56be047bf9ad3bb9ae00.png

so far i've replaced 7 doors (various sizes 24-80 and 30-80, the 24's are bathroom doors) for just $10 each or less, just a ding here or there that putty and paint will cover up when i paint em.

here's the old owner hallway with the flat doors
f6b9b5478d581823195b7c90437b3c9e.png

and the replaced

20190829_135955.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
i remember seeing this video a while ago, and today i saw a 1$ door at menards, cuz it has 2 doornob holes

i mean why not.

it's nothing special btw, i'm just replacing all my doors that have the flat 1990s style door with this 6panel
3bac4994a20f56be047bf9ad3bb9ae00.png

so far i've replaced 7 doors (various sizes 24-80 and 30-80, the 24's are bathroom doors) for just $10 each or less, just a ding here or there that putty and paint will cover up when i paint em.

here's the old owner hallway with the flat doors
f6b9b5478d581823195b7c90437b3c9e.png

and the replaced

View attachment 221096

Wtf with the Bambi puzzle? Aren’t you childless?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok. Now, why are there post notes all over your wall surrounding your crooked naruto puzzle?
oh no, it's level, just took the pic crooked, i put stick it dots on the drywall imperfections to patch when we finally decide on new paint

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
oh no, it's level, just took the pic crooked, i put stick it dots on the drywall imperfections to patch when we finally decide on new paint

It’s not parallel to the ceiling = crooked.

Anyway, nice work on the doors and doing them on the cheap. Looks much better. Did the previous guy have cloth doors on that double door section or is that warped as fuck wood?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx Looks like we just found Lanx's Avatar for a month when Kahbib smashed Dustin Diamond...
my bambi puzzle? sure we spent a shit load of time on that piece of shit puzzle cuz it used a lot of recycled images, it's actually a really shitty mosiac puzzle, the naruto one had like 5 recycled images.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, you'll have to wait for rain and see what's up.

I increased my deck size from 16x16' to 16x32' last weekend. Decks are expensive, even if you do it yourself. On the funny side, I got all my 16' lumber from Menards to my home on my 8' trailer. That was some trick...

That's the situation where I will pay to have the store drop off the lumber in my front yard. They've got a flatbed.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Any tips on refinishing a pine deck? Rent a sander vs. pressure washer + chemicals? Colored stain or clear sealer?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyway, nice work on the doors and doing them on the cheap. Looks much better. Did the previous guy have cloth doors on that double door section or is that warped as fuck wood?
yea, that double door i put in cuz thats where the laundry is, he just had a rod and window curtain, it was nasty (but i checked the frame and it was just built that way cuz i saw no hinges), so i thought adding the double doors would be way cooler.

iannis

Musty Nester
I just wash it and then stain it.

But i'm like super low rent. Good enough for government work, that's my motto.

iannis

Musty Nester
yea, that double door i put in cuz thats where the laundry is, he just had a rod and window curtain, it was nasty (but i checked the frame and it was just built that way cuz i saw no hinges), so i thought adding the double doors would be way cooler.

Yeah, the curtain sounds good in theory. In reality the curtain gets nasty.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Any tips on refinishing a pine deck? Rent a sander vs. pressure washer + chemicals? Colored stain or clear sealer?
when i stained my deck i did the pressure washer and chemical treatment, honestly i saw nothing out of the chemical treatment, even tho ppl said it "penetrates deep"

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
"penetrates deep"

This isn't a thing for wood unless you put it in a pressurized/submerged environment for extended periods. You can take a planer or chisel to wood with any kind of surface treatment you like and see that it goes in 1-2mm at best.