Home Improvement

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So I ended up patching that entire section of roof above the leak. Cleaned off the roof real good then laid down asphalt patch over it and even put down to layers over bonding fabric.

It had been raining for 3-4 hours so I checked under the roof where it leaked last time, bone dry. Well after about 6-7 hours of raining after I had been asleep for an hour or so it started leaking, from a different spot that I cant see behind insulation. The underside of the roof where it originally came through is still bone dry.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It happens. I had to access plumbing for one of my second story bathrooms, I had to go into the ceiling in the family room. In the basement a hockey puck dinged the ceiling a few times. A place where there was a light no longer has one there. I dunno, just life, man.

Well I don't have a second story so there's no plumbing in my ceiling. And in the basement I have that convenient drop ceiling so I can access it any time.

I do know a couple of people who have done the falling through from the attic trick.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I told my wife "Make sure you only step on the studs" "I am, I am" she says.

Turns out she didn't know what I was talking about. She could have been killed. We have a front foyer that is 2 stories tall, tile floor at bottom. She is never going up in the attic again.

1581619619527.png

• 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I told my wife "Make sure you only step on the studs" "I am, I am" she says.

Turns out she didn't know what I was talking about. She could have been killed. We have a front foyer that is 2 stories tall, tile floor at bottom. She is never going up in the attic again.

View attachment 248956
she did that on purpose so now you have attic duty for life, fucking xmas decorations!!!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So fuck me and fuck this bathroom, my procrastination really paid off I guess because I had the pinhole I caused a year ago pop-open after a plumber ""repaired"" it.

---

EDIT:

This is the hot water line BTW.

---

1581625201056.png

Water is coming from the seam here:

1581625235239.png

Debating cutting the water-in from the manifold, attaching a PEX transition and then running the PEX thru the attic...fuck me.

1581625491117.png

---

Nail in the fucking coffin, the plumber I had out from home warranty says, "Did he even replace anything? Looks like he used all old pipe."

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
And did a shit job of soldering it too. I think cutting all that out and replacing it with pex and a couple shark bite connectors is a great idea.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So fuck me and fuck this bathroom, my procrastination really paid off I guess because I had the pinhole I caused a year ago pop-open after a plumber ""repaired"" it.

---

EDIT:

This is the hot water line BTW.

---

View attachment 248977

Water is coming from the seam here:

View attachment 248978

Debating cutting the water-in from the manifold, attaching a PEX transition and then running the PEX thru the attic...fuck me.

View attachment 248979

---

Nail in the fucking coffin, the plumber I had out from home warranty says, "Did he even replace anything? Looks like he used all old pipe."
globs of solder...

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Okay so I had something typed up but I have a question.

---

I'm in DFW area Climate zone 3..ish? I mean it's right next to zone 2.

Can I run a hot line of PEX in the attic with no breaks for fittings?

My plan is to put all fittings in conditioned space.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Okay so I had something typed up but I have a question.

---

I'm in DFW area Climate zone 3..ish? I mean it's right next to zone 2.

Can I run a hot line of PEX in the attic with no breaks for fittings?

My plan is to put all fittings in conditioned space.
i don't see why not, thats supposed to be why PEX is so great, as fittings are always the culprit for point of failure.

i mean you obviously want to clamp it down with
26612e558ed6c0d4b88e13148f88a3ce.png

so you don't get water knocking, or drill through the trouses

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
i don't see why not, thats supposed to be why PEX is so great, as fittings are always the culprit for point of failure.

i mean you obviously want to clamp it down with
26612e558ed6c0d4b88e13148f88a3ce.png

so you don't get water knocking, or drill through the trouses

My main concern with attic running is Freezing.

I mean my dad talks about his lines freezing (one time apparently and his is basement / root cellar bound) but...he lives in Montana in the middle of "fuck you it's cold!" (6B zone)

I don't think it'll get cold enough, long enough, here (3A zone) to freeze them, especially a hot line.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My main concern with attic running is Freezing.

I mean my dad talks about his lines freezing (one time apparently and his is basement / root cellar bound) but...he lives in Montana in the middle of "fuck you it's cold!" (6B zone)

I don't think it'll get cold enough, long enough, here (3A zone) to freeze them, especially a hot line.
as long as you put it underneath the insulation, should be fine, imo. you got batt or blown?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
as long as you put it underneath the insulation, should be fine, imo. you got batt or blown?

Frankenstein, little of A and B.

Plan is, if I have to, wrap the pipe thats up there in cloth based insulation and cover that with blown or a cheap ass batt.

Will I have to worry about condensation on the pipe at all?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Frankenstein, little of A and B.

Plan is, if I have to, wrap the pipe thats up there in cloth based insulation and cover that with blown or a cheap ass batt.

Will I have to worry about condensation on the pipe at all?
i mean it will sweat, especially the hot water, you wouldn't be getting a puddle, i only have one pex run and it's directly above drywall and i notice no water drips, you sure you don't want the foam insulation instead? it's like 2bucks for 6ft you probably don't have to worry about nuttin. once it's on
d38d492bb4cb665bf63d6c97ac7f5989.png

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
i mean it will sweat, especially the hot water, you wouldn't be getting a puddle, i only have one pex run and it's directly above drywall and i notice no water drips, you sure you don't want the foam insulation instead? it's like 2bucks for 6ft you probably don't have to worry about nuttin. once it's on
d38d492bb4cb665bf63d6c97ac7f5989.png

Honestly i was just debating doing:

because we have like 300-400 in amazon cards.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Being hot water won't help you with freezing. It's only hot for about 15 minutes after you run some hot water unless you have one of those circulator pumps. I doubt it will be a problem but if you're worried about it put that foam that Lanx linked over it.

• 1Like