Home Improvement

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I bought mid-upper tier cabinets pre-assembled from thertastore. I know they sell cheaper cabinets where assembly is required. We are very happy with the quality.

EDIT: Also if you send them your plans they will review your layout and double-check your measurements and offer solutions to potential problems.

I can second them. I bought the ones that come in the flat pack that you assemble yourself. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably spend the money to have them come already assembled. It wasn't mentally hard, just time consuming and physically a pain the ass. I did them mostly myself, but with a second person, they wouldn't be the end of the world.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Cleaning Natural Stone Tiles.

Anyone have any suggestions? Prior owner put in Travertine tile and there is some old mold stains on it that annoy me. I've tried -everything- to get rid of them. These are very small stains so they may not even be mold. I've tried everything and at this point I'm just going to put similar colored grout sealent over it. Wife and I are going to renovate this bathroom in a few years. She is not allowing me to renovate anything inside the house until our son is at leat in Grade School :peek:. //We are renovating the exterior front and rear porch to perform rott repair next year.

PS: Don't get Natural Stone tile in a bathroom. Fucking christ.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is homeowner's insurance similar to car insurance in that it's not worth filing a claim under a certain dollar amount? A screen door became unlatched and some high winds smash it against some accumulated ice and snow on the deck. It's bent to all hell and the cheap particle board interior vomited itself all over. If there's no damage to my siding and door frame, probably better to just buy a new one?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea, check your deductible, ppl have told me just use the insurance claim for structural and water damage

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

Anyone have any suggestions? Prior owner put in Travertine tile and there is some old mold stains on it that annoy me. I've tried -everything- to get rid of them. These are very small stains so they may not even be mold. I've tried everything and at this point I'm just going to put similar colored grout sealent over it. Wife and I are going to renovate this bathroom in a few years. She is not allowing me to renovate anything inside the house until our son is at leat in Grade School :peek:. //We are renovating the exterior front and rear porch to perform rott repair next year.

Have you tried Wet & Forget? Also, vinegar (with or without baking soda) can be good too.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I can second them. I bought the ones that come in the flat pack that you assemble yourself. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably spend the money to have them come already assembled. It wasn't mentally hard, just time consuming and physically a pain the ass. I did them mostly myself, but with a second person, they wouldn't be the end of the world.
I spent like $10-12k with RTA would have been double or more with our local cabinet place for a lesser product.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Depending on what screen door you have they're usually just a couple hundred bucks and you can easily replace it yourself if you're not totally hopeless working with your hands. I don't think I'd get insurance involved.

• 1Like

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Here's what I paid for the ones you have to build. Small kitchen:

Item​
Sku​
Qty​
Subtotal​
Heather Grey Shaker Sherwin Williams Touch Up Kit
TSGREPAIRKIT-AN​
1​
$25.19​
Heather Grey Shaker 96" Scribe Molding
SC1-3-AN​
5​
$95.75​
Heather Grey Shaker 96" Light Rail Molding
LRM8-AN​
3​
$220.62​
Heather Grey Shaker 96" Toe Kick
TK8-AN​
2​
$90.68​
Heather Grey Shaker 15x90 Wall PantryDecorative PanelNoRoll Out TraysNone​
WP1590-AN​
1​
$589.25​
Heather Grey Shaker 33x18 Wall Cabinet
W3318B-AN​
1​
$162.18​
Heather Grey Shaker 30x18 Wall Cabinet
W3018B-AN​
1​
$154.12​
Heather Grey Shaker 09x30 Wall CabinetDecorative END PanelNo​
W0930-AN​
1​
$111.81​
Heather Grey Shaker 15x30 Wall CabinetDecorative END PanelNoGlass DoorNo​
W1530-AN​
1​
$133.98​
Heather Grey Shaker 30" Blind Wall Cabinet
WBLC30-33-3036-AN​
1​
$368.71​
Heather Grey Shaker 18x36 Wall CabinetDecorative END PanelNoGlass DoorNo​
W1836-AN​
2​
$356.60​
Heather Grey Shaker 30x36 Wall CabinetDecorative END PanelNoGlass DoorNo​
W3036B-AN​
2​
$554.02​
Heather Grey Shaker 18" Base CabinetDecorative END PanelNoRoll Out TrayNone​
B18-AN​
1​
$228.66​
Heather Grey Shaker 30" Base CabinetDecorative END PanelNoRoll Out TrayNone​
B30B-AN​
1​
$349.53​
Heather Grey Shaker 18" Drawer Base CabinetDecorative END PanelNo​
DB18-AN​
1​
$395.86​
Heather Grey Shaker 33" Lazy Susan Base Cabinet
LS3309-AN​
1​
$494.58​
Heather Grey Shaker 30" Sink Base Cabinet
SB30B-AN​
1​
$279.02​
Heather Grey Shaker Dishwasher Panel with a 3" Return
DWR33412-AN​
1​
$71.52​
Heather Grey Shaker 6" Base Filler
BF6-3-4-AN​
1​
$55.42​
Heather Grey Shaker 3" Base Filler
BF3-3-4-AN​
2​
$66.50​
Heather Grey Shaker 3x42 Wall Filler
WF342-3-4-AN​
3​
$93.69​
Elements By Hardware Resource - Vienna Collection Pulls - 3" Center to Center in Satin Nickel
P106-SN​
28​
$91.00​
Heather Grey Shaker 12x30 Angle Wall Cabinet
AW30-AN​
1​
$188.37​
Subtotal​
$5,177.06​
5 year protection plan - Platinum​
$249.00​
Shipping & Handling​
$0.00​
Discount (Semi-Annual Sale 20% Off!, Semi-Annual Sale 12% Off!)​
-$1,028.11​
Grand Total
$4,397.95

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How serious is getting water under your foundation? During heavy rain or snow melt, I can see a couple inches of water just chilling under my foundation in the gravel. After a few days, it drains away into the clay(we have substantial layer of clay near the top soil where I live). I'm pretty sure my house has french drains but I cannot speak to their effectiveness nor placement.

I also suspect, due to the aforementioned clay and dealing with water issue on another part of the house, this just where ground water chills and french drains wouldn't really help. What I mean by this is kinda like bailing out a sinking boat. The french drains can move the water away, it's just going to come back because above the clay is where it wants to be.

iannis

Musty Nester
From everything I've ever heard or know it's one of the most serious things. It's termite level serious.

If that water erodes enough earth around your foundations the section that is supporting will start to sag. Which means that your entire house will start to sag. After it sags for a while it'll fall down.

But OTOH, that isn't a fast process and you might be looking at decades rather than years.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Just finished priming my whole upstairs with one of these.

1583164758820.jpeg

My renters left it in the garage when they moved out for some reason. I don't think I would have ever thought to buy one (they're around $200) but since it was here I decided to give it a shot. Had some trouble getting it going and had to replace the nozzle and the gun filter, but holy shit does this thing save a lot of time vs. rolling. You have to do a lot of masking and ti takes half an hour to clean out when you're finished but being able to paint a whole bedroom in 15 minutes makes it all very worth it. I'm at least going to use it to do my ceilings. I'm not sure about the walls. I've read that you won't get a nice enough result to use it on interior walls vs. rolling. I don't know though. I've painted some stuff with a roller that didn't exactly come out flawless. I had some problems with getting too much paint in spots in the beginning but the more I do it the less of a problem that is, and I just went back with a mini-roller and smoothed out any spots that ran or dripped once I was done spraying.

EDIT: Oh and another tool I just became aware of is a 3M hand masker.

A14R_1_20170613251005994.jpg

This thing is fucking awesome. I had seen them before and didn't really think that they would work that great but it works perfectly. Way better than I would have expected. Lets you mask things very efficiently with just one person and if you've ever tried to tape up plastic alone you know how frustrating that is. Works with either plastic or paper. Well worth the $30 if you have a significant amount of masking to do.

Last edited:

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

If you suspect it may be mold, try citric acid or white vinegar. Most people recommend bleach, but bleach doesn't get into rough/porous surfaces well.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just finished priming my whole upstairs with one of these.

View attachment 251990

My renters left it in the garage when they moved out for some reason. I don't think I would have ever thought to buy one (they're around $200) but since it was here I decided to give it a shot. Had some trouble getting it going and had to replace the nozzle and the gun filter, but holy shit does this thing save a lot of time vs. rolling. You have to do a lot of masking and ti takes half an hour to clean out when you're finished but being able to paint a whole bedroom in 15 minutes makes it all very worth it. I'm at least going to use it to do my ceilings. I'm not sure about the walls. I've read that you won't get a nice enough result to use it on interior walls vs. rolling. I don't know though. I've painted some stuff with a roller that didn't exactly come out flawless. I had some problems with getting too much paint in spots in the beginning but the more I do it the less of a problem that is, and I just went back with a mini-roller and smoothed out any spots that ran or dripped once I was done spraying.

EDIT: Oh and another tool I just became aware of is a 3M hand masker.

A14R_1_20170613251005994.jpg

This thing is fucking awesome. I had seen them before and didn't really think that they would work that great but it works perfectly. Way better than I would have expected. Lets you mask things very efficiently with just one person and if you've ever tried to tape up plastic alone you know how frustrating that is. Works with either plastic or paper. Well worth the $30 if you have a significant amount of masking to do.

I bought one of those when we bought our current house. This house was a crack house, and everything stank like shit. I bought that thing and put 36 gallons of primer in after tearing out everything that wasn't drywall or tile. I sprayed the floors, walls, and ceilings with the Kilz super stuff that stops stains and smells from coming through. Worked like a charm - I got the whole house done in a weekend (I wasn't careful because I was changing all the doors and trim, just careful around windows), and it hasn't smelled like cigarettes or shit since. I think they are totally worth it.

I'm likely to paint my exterior in the next couple years, I'll use this and love it again.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Question: I'm having a half-bath remodeled. It had a traditional little stand up sink in there. We want to change it to a vanity, with granite top, and a granite backsplash, and have the faucet come out of the granite backsplash. So it would need the valves mounted in the wall, and they would go through drywall and granite. The granite is extra thickness. Is there some special fixture I need or can any fixture be modified to have longer "nipples"?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Question: I'm having a half-bath remodeled. It had a traditional little stand up sink in there. We want to change it to a vanity, with granite top, and a granite backsplash, and have the faucet come out of the granite backsplash. So it would need the valves mounted in the wall, and they would go through drywall and granite. The granite is extra thickness. Is there some special fixture I need or can any fixture be modified to have longer "nipples"?
no idea, saw this video, maybe it'll help you out