Home Improvement

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went and mapped out my templates to the slabs for countertops today. Install is next week and shortly after I’ll finally have a functional kitchen after almost 3.5 months. Getting excited.

7962FDBE-216F-46CB-9D9F-AC95DA58B6B5.jpeg

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
How should I insulate my rimjoist? And my the gap between the edge of the concrete and the sill plate?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Propane unless you are a boring enough person that being able to talk about how charcoal is so much better will help you socially.

• 1Worf
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Charcoal gives your food a flavor that you can't get any other way. The 45 minutes it takes to get the grill hot is usually a deal breaker for me though. I haven't used my charcoal grill in years.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Charcoal gives your food a flavor that you can't get any other way. The 45 minutes it takes to get the grill hot is usually a deal breaker for me though. I haven't used my charcoal grill in years.
isn't that why ppl have gone pellet?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah the chimney and the electric starter make it more mindless but it still takes a while for the coals to get white and then you dump them in the grill and wait again for the grill to heat up, then you have to clean out the ashes afterwards. If you just grill on Sunday and you really just want to sit in the yard and drink beer then charcoal is great. It's still a lot more effort than just turning the knob on the gas grill though, especially if you like to grill on a weeknight. Those electric starters will burn themselves out if you leave them plugged in for more than like 10 minutes too. Found that out the hard way once.

Pellet grills are a compromise. They're okay for chicken or burgers and dogs. I hear with grill grates and proper positioning you can get a decent sear on a steak but I just use mine as a smoker/outdoor oven. At least with mine you have to take the heat diffuser plate out to use it as a grill which is kind of a hassle especially if it's covered in grease which it probably is.

Edit: just noticed that is a propane weed burner and not an electric starter. I haven't tried that but I suppose it would speed it up a bit.

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
Charcoal.

But I grill about once a year and it's mostly just an excuse to play with fire.

I'll throw wood in there too. Like an animal.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Lump charcoal. I have a Green Egg knockoff and I will never go back. We use it probably once a week all year (CA privilege). I even grill our Thanksgiving turkey.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have the vision egg and it's not getting fired up for anything less than a 4 hour session. I remove the grates and lava stone to light it with an electric element each time. Do you do that?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Hate to break up the grill talk.

Wondering if any of you have done a zip sheathing garage for the walls and, if so, how did you finish it OR do you need to finish it?

Trying to air seal between the house and the garage, gunna tear off the dry-wall (it's a fucking mess already due to moisture), then I was planning on either Zipping it or 3/4 or 5/8ths ply with caulking on the studs to air-seal and then foaming the interior side.

Question is, do you have to put something OVER the zip stuff to protect he tape or can I leave it bare with that tape visible?

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
[livejournal]

Wanted to share a small engine repair success story with my forum bros. We lost power last night and had no ETA on restoration as of this afternoon so the neighbor lady asked for help getting her generator running. I brought a can of starter fluid with me and got it to run but only for about a minute until it choked and stalled. I’ve steadily gotten more handy over the past three years going from completely clueless to doing pretty major home and commercial renovations and very basic small engine repairs and vehicle maintenance. The neighbor was skeptical when I told her to run down to the hardware store and have them sell her the appropriate sized fuel line and o ring for the fuel valve, but she was pretty thrilled after I replaced them and the generator fired up on the first pull without starting fluid and stayed running until it ran out of fuel.

I told Mrs. Dandai that she is to henceforth refer to me as an amateur small engine mechanic to her frenemies at the lady’s auxiliary.

[/livejournal]

• 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My girlfriends uncle who is a retired sheetrock guy came down and helped me with the house this weekend. In 3 days we patched up the kitchen ceiling where I tore out the soffits around the top of the cabinets, put a nice knock down texture on the ceiling in the entire upstairs, patched 4 holes in the drywall in various places, and re-did 2 horrendously bad patches that had been done previously by people who didn't know what they were doing. We also scraped off the renter's attempt at skip-trowel texture in the living room and re-did it with a nice orange peel texture. I learned a ton and I know if I had done it myself it would have taken 4 times as long and not turned out nearly as well. I like youtube and DIY but it sure is nice to have someone who knows what they're doing sometimes. He's coming back in a couple weeks to tape the walls in the basement.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Man, I thought I liked you.

Textured ceilings? I just can't stand textured ceilings. All patches will always be at least slightly visible. I scraped all the texture of all the ceilings in my entire house. Lotsa work, but worth it for those nice, smooth ceilings that are easier to paint and entirely possible to patch invisibly.

iannis

Musty Nester
YouTube is great but there's still no substitute for experience.

There are tricks of the trade, it's not just a cute thing to say.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Man, I thought I liked you.

Textured ceilings? I just can't stand textured ceilings. All patches will always be at least slightly visible. I scraped all the texture of all the ceilings in my entire house. Lotsa work, but worth it for those nice, smooth ceilings that are easier to paint and entirely possible to patch invisibly.

Why are you patching the ceiling?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Why are you patching the ceiling?

It happens. I had to access plumbing for one of my second story bathrooms, I had to go into the ceiling in the family room. In the basement a hockey puck dinged the ceiling a few times. A place where there was a light no longer has one there. I dunno, just life, man.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It happens. I had to access plumbing for one of my second story bathrooms, I had to go into the ceiling in the family room. In the basement a hockey puck dinged the ceiling a few times. A place where there was a light no longer has one there. I dunno, just life, man.
foot-through-ceiling-picture-id183032727