lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
giphy.gif

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Question: I'm having a half-bath remodeled. It had a traditional little stand up sink in there. We want to change it to a vanity, with granite top, and a granite backsplash, and have the faucet come out of the granite backsplash. So it would need the valves mounted in the wall, and they would go through drywall and granite. The granite is extra thickness. Is there some special fixture I need or can any fixture be modified to have longer "nipples"?

I haven't done a wall faucet but these look the same as a 50s 2 handle bath tub setup mechanically from what I can tell.

I would keep in mind the guts are going to be in the wall which means you should pick tor hardware carefully if you don't have rear access and will have to remove granite to replace the faucet. The stems will eventually need replaced and it's nice to have a major brand or stem design to ensure replacement parts are available-- those can be replaced from the front.

For the depth (again on the bathtub faucets where the water outlet can be cut to fit, with a sink placement will be less forgiving) i have seen stem extensions that'll push the knobs out further, it seemed like they were particular and had the same finish as the faucet and mated with the stem so im not sure if they're always available or there's a universal fix. I don't think you can simply add a pipe extension towards the front because the stems need to seat back in the housing to control water.

This all may be standardized from the 50s shit I've worked on but I wouldn't count on it.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
screws

they're close to a full thread, i was bored so took a look, closest I could find before realising I was spending way too much time looking for screws for someone else, also they're 1/4" short :)

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Curious what you’re workin on that has such a need?
I want to mount some 19u equipment on a sheet of plywood, but I don't want to buy the metal brackets. So was thinking just have some one foot sections of 2x4 sticking out, but I want to use washers on the other side of the 2x4. Nearly every Wood screw I've found has a chamfered head. And other ones the threads are too close for comfort for use in Wood.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm not sure that woodscrews into the long end of a 2x4 will hold all that well, honestly. They pull out easy if you go into the grain like that.

But if you're not hanging anything heavy on them, might work fine.

There's lots though. Check out deck screws, too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got the floor plans back from the general contractor, permits were submitted and approved. Fucking A, $1k for the permits! That was a blind side, but I've never had to do permits. Is what it is. 3 room remodel. Living space is turning into new living room. Media room is where the kitchen is now, and the new kitchen space is where our living room is. New pantry put in where our dining room is. The layout isn't perfect in this drawing, but gets the point across.

NewFloorPlan.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got the floor plans back from the general contractor, permits were submitted and approved. Fucking A, $1k for the permits! That was a blind side, but I've never had to do permits. Is what it is. 3 room remodel. Living space is turning into new living room. Media room is where the kitchen is now, and the new kitchen space is where our living room is. New pantry put in where our dining room is. The layout isn't perfect in this drawing, but gets the point across.

View attachment 253437
whys your pantry look about the same size as your bedroom, jesus

Crone

whys your pantry look about the same size as your bedroom, jesus
Pantry is about 50 sq ft, 7x7. He didn't take measurements of the bedroom to make it to scale, since there isn't any work being done inside the bedroom. Other than having the pass through closet.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 253437

In my experience permits don’t usually cost much but if that includes the cost of drafting the plans then $1k seems about right.

Crone

In my experience permits don’t usually cost much but if that includes the cost of drafting the plans then $1k seems about right.
$520 for drafting services, and then the city itself wants $1k.

Crone

Picked the floor out today with the wife. Got water resistant laminate planks, snap together, for $2.50 sq/ft. GC will be putting in the sub floor and installing. Pictures from the floor guy of a recent install of the same color we picked:

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-12 at 8.45.00 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-12 at 9.07.32 PM.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Why the hell would you want a pass through closet to your front door from a bedroom? I genuinely don't understand what benefit that would be. Visitors hanging their coats up would see your bedroom closet, and it would likely add drafts to the bedroom.