Home Improvement

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Picked the floor out today with the wife. Got water resistant laminate planks, snap together, for $2.50 sq/ft. GC will be putting in the sub floor and installing. Pictures from the floor guy of a recent install of the same color we picked:

View attachment 253936View attachment 253937

that guy needs to work on his variation spreading.

they placed boards that are the same print next to each other or VERY close, I get it that some cheaper laminates have like...3 variations (I have some in my bathroom) but it shouldn't ever really be this bad:

1584114531436.png

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

they placed boards that are the same print next to each other or VERY close, I get it that some cheaper laminates have like...3 variations (I have some in my bathroom) but it shouldn't ever really be this bad:

View attachment 253997
Printed this picture out to show my GC and tell him that this is what I don't want!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 253997
yea that...

this looks like wood mine sweeper, wtf

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Printed this picture out to show my GC and tell him that this is what I don't want!
Not sure if you have kids and dogs, but I think you would be better off with LVP. LVP seems to hold up better over time in the homes I see vs Laminates that tend to peel at the edge. The difference is between water resistant and water proof. People selling you the shit will tell you it is just as good and your contractor probably will too, the truth is they don't see the floors 5, 10, 15 years later like I do. I put a high end LVP in my home based on what I have seen in the field.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

I mean, if you have 4 variations in your bag, there really isn't a thing to be done for a room that size. You WILL have some that end up near or next to eachother.

Your choices are:

Find a brand with more variation per box (increase in the SqFt cost)
Change your style to be less "Random" and more similar in each plank
Change your style and be MORE random and less similar in each plank

The last 2 may seem odd to say but take my old ass floor:

1584118988836.png

---

1584120538442.png

The main difference is you overload people with random and their mind is "overwhelmed" to notice the patterns and simply chooses to ignore them.

The main take away is, mainly only you will notice the "issue" until you ask people to "CHECK OUT MAH FLOOR!"

Damn that's eagle eye stuff

"He sent me these photos of the floor installed in another house"

*Looks at floor*

Area rug, table, wall art, ect.. any of those things will pull you away from the floor.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
OH

So...an update on my garage water (pool of water, that I thought was ground-water or a slab leak)

I finally had insurance come out and do an assessment, which was free, and they found the source of water...My fucking dishwasher. It wasn't dripping water when the dude showed me, it was spraying it out, the 1/2 inch or so of tile in front of it was keeping it from being viewed by us. when we ran the dishwasher.

Apparently since no one had been in the house for about a year, there wasn't any standing water in the garage when we bought the home. I'm guessing they cleaned the concrete as best they could too. I'm gunna have to gut this entire fucking kitchen anyhow but this was a massive "Hey...may wanna start budgeting now" moment for my wife and I.

1584121527549.png

1584121560826.png

Garage Damage:

1584121585135.png

1584121653283.png

Red mark is a deep green stain, been there since we moved in. shit likely leaked for YEARS and no one fixed it. I mean it leaked for at least one year...

Bonuses on the kitchen parts, rat / mice poo, a LARGE dead roach and a ton of rot.

I'm giving this project a date of "this year" on the start time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Not sure if you have kids and dogs, but I think you would be better off with LVP. LVP seems to hold up better over time in the homes I see vs Laminates that tend to peel at the edge. The difference is between water resistant and water proof. People selling you the shit will tell you it is just as good and your contractor probably will too, the truth is they don't see the floors 5, 10, 15 years later like I do. I put a high end LVP in my home based on what I have seen in the field.
Kids and dogs! Young kids too. I'll go back to the flooring shop, and look at their LVP. I saw a bunch of it, and it ranged from $2-$8 sq/ft. Will have to see what we can come up with. Original budget was about $4k for 750 sqft. So when this came in around $2k, that was nice, but hey if I can come in around $3k, we are still ahead of the game.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Vinen

God is dead
OH

So...an update on my garage water (pool of water, that I thought was ground-water or a slab leak)

I finally had insurance come out and do an assessment, which was free, and they found the source of water...My fucking dishwasher. It wasn't dripping water when the dude showed me, it was spraying it out, the 1/2 inch or so of tile in front of it was keeping it from being viewed by us. when we ran the dishwasher.

Apparently since no one had been in the house for about a year, there wasn't any standing water in the garage when we bought the home. I'm guessing they cleaned the concrete as best they could too. I'm gunna have to gut this entire fucking kitchen anyhow but this was a massive "Hey...may wanna start budgeting now" moment for my wife and I.

View attachment 254013

View attachment 254014

Garage Damage:

View attachment 254015

View attachment 254017

Red mark is a deep green stain, been there since we moved in. shit likely leaked for YEARS and no one fixed it. I mean it leaked for at least one year...

Bonuses on the kitchen parts, rat / mice poo, a LARGE dead roach and a ton of rot.

I'm giving this project a date of "this year" on the start time.

With that amount of rott and mold I'm amazed you couldnt' smell it.

• 1Truth!

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Fixed this for you.

if your brain notices three patterns of things on the floor next to each other I don't know if that's autism level of savantness there bro.

now responding back to somebody asking you if their floor looks good with "hey bro why did they put the same ones next to each other?" now that would be autism.

LoL

Crone

Why the hell would you want a pass through closet to your front door from a bedroom? I genuinely don't understand what benefit that would be. Visitors hanging their coats up would see your bedroom closet, and it would likely add drafts to the bedroom.
Sorry dirk, didn't see this. Mainly for a place to do a coat closet, and with 3 small children, they would have fun being able to run a full loop in our house. You're right, they could see into the bedroom, which right now is just a storage room with fridge, chest freezer, and racks of food storage, etc. It'd turn into an office after this move, because the new pantry space would house all of that stuff instead of a bedroom.

In the long run, you are probably right, we can not do that. Save a little money probably too.

Started today on framing in the new pantry space. Used to be our dining room with table. Only thing missing from the pic is the doorway, where it's a pocket door.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-16 at 8.42.20 PM.jpeg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’ve added amateur HVAC repair technician to my growing list of DIY certifications. Condenser wasn’t turning on. Replaced the contactor and reset the high load trip and it kicked on immediately and no issues. Felt pretty good to save at least $100 service call.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Any good sources for figuring out the right colour of paint that would go well with different colours you input? Preferably some sort of website with a tool that you can input various colour codes

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Any good sources for figuring out the right colour of paint that would go well with different colours you input? Preferably some sort of website with a tool that you can input various colour codes

Should be at the top, pick your color. Choose the room and choose the trim etc and color. Nearly all the major paint companys have something like this.

• 1Like