Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hmm, I can't speak for the whole chain but I have bought a lot of stuff from them at this point. I never even interacted with the sales people though. Just ordered from their website and picked it up at the store.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Lumber Liquidators was mentioned to me, but was told what happens is they get you in the door on a good price for LVP, and then they say oh sorry, we only have 5 boxes. You need 40 boxes? Oh sorry, but we have this one over here for double the price. Or they will sell you on a floor, but it doesn't have a pad, and it's they are like oh, it's more than the LVP to get the pad that goes underneath. Just basic sales tricks, but since the place is out of the way, it turned me off to even going there.

I did look back at Home Depot, since at $3 a sq ft from this independent flooring place, that's right on for prices from Home Depot. Hmm..
Sorry if you already did this. Can you post a picture of what you currently have selected? I am just curious what the color is you are looking for.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Never really found good deals at lumber liquidators, on par with lowes maybe. I would give whatever youre buying a thorough look through, they can have some weird names.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sorry if you already did this. Can you post a picture of what you currently have selected? I am just curious what the color is you are looking for.
No problem.

IMG-20200312-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20200312-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20200312-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20200312-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20200312-WA0013.jpg

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
This is pretty close to the look you are going for and is under $3, like I said earlier if you make a big purchase (I think 3k is the threshold) you can qualify for an additional discount. We bought our LVP with some tools, tile and a new washer/dryer, I think we basically got one or both the washer/dryer for free, I will have to check with the wife. I know we got a great deal. This prduct is thinner than your Laminate, but again it is waterproof.
1584508808017.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Strange that everyone has had bad experiences with Lumber Liquidators. That's where I got my EVP bathroom floor, and the EVP floor for a lot of my first floor apartment.

I got bargain bin pricing on both.

I got this for the first floor apartment for $1.39 per sq/ft

And I got this for my bathroom for $2.09 per sq/ft

I will say I got special "contractor" pricing since my buddy owns a contracting firm and the first link I did almost the entirety of my 1500 sq/ft first floor apartment with so I got another discount for quantity purchasing.

Vinen

God is dead
Strange that everyone has had bad experiences with Lumber Liquidators. That's where I got my EVP bathroom floor, and the EVP floor for a lot of my first floor apartment.

I got bargain bin pricing on both.

I got this for the first floor apartment for $1.39 per sq/ft

And I got this for my bathroom for $2.09 per sq/ft

I will say I got special "contractor" pricing since my buddy owns a contracting firm and the first link I did almost the entirety of my 1500 sq/ft first floor apartment with so I got another discount for quantity purchasing.

Given that they gave people cancer a few years ago..

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
A few years back there was an expose about laminate flooring from China having excessive amounts of formaldehyde. This was a real issue but it has since been corrected. Also the early LVP flooring had phthalates in them which are endocrine disruptors linked to various health effects (although not cancer as far as I know). However, these are in tons of plastic shit that you touch every day and they have since been removed from most LVP flooring.

I'm guessing Vinen is referring to one of these things although it's highly unlikely that lumber liquidators gave anyone cancer.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well I redid the bathroom last winter and the first floor this past summer. So I guess I'm safe!

Vinen

God is dead
A few years back there was an expose about laminate flooring from China having excessive amounts of formaldehyde. This was a real issue but it has since been corrected. Also the early LVP flooring had phthalates in them which are endocrine disruptors linked to various health effects (although not cancer as far as I know). However, these are in tons of plastic shit that you touch every day and they have since been removed from most LVP flooring.

I'm guessing Vinen is referring to one of these things although it's highly unlikely that lumber liquidators gave anyone cancer.

This is correct. I was too lazy to find an article.

My father-in-law got lung cancer a year after laying down some of these floors. Doubt it was related but the concidence was too close to home. (Note: He doesn't smoke, etc... but living through China's first boom in Shanghai probably exposed him to more shit than the idiots in this thread who scrape popcorn ceiling without a mask)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is correct. I was too lazy to find an article.

My father-in-law got lung cancer a year after laying down some of these floors. Doubt it was related but the concidence was too close to home. (Note: He doesn't smoke, etc... but living through China's first boom in Shanghai probably exposed him to more shit than the idiots in this thread who scrape popcorn ceiling without a mask)
your FIL probably quit smoking, but he smoked in the past, everyone smoked in china smoked back then

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have any experience with removing asbestos tiles? I am about to do a reno on my 1960's brick ranch and have asbestos tiles located in my kitchen, small patch in my bathroom and half of my basement. Gotten a couple of estimates and they are close to 10k. Is this something that I can do on my own with the proper equipment and precautions? Or is it a job I should leave to the professionals.

I already own a 650CFM 4 stage HEPA air scrubber and a p100 full face mask. So I feel like I might already have most of the PPE gear that I would need.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any experience with removing asbestos tiles? I am about to do a reno on my 1960's brick ranch and have asbestos tiles located in my kitchen, small patch in my bathroom and half of my basement. Gotten a couple of estimates and they are close to 10k. Is this something that I can do on my own with the proper equipment and precautions? Or is it a job I should leave to the professionals.

I already own a 650CFM 4 stage HEPA air scrubber and a p100 full face mask. So I feel like I might already have most of the PPE gear that I would need.

Encapsulate that shit and lay right over it, worse thing you can do is try and remove it. If you want it pulled pay someone and it will be an arm and a leg.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just got a notice HD is closing 6pm, you know that means closings might be coming soon, so imo get all your stuff needed for any projects you guys have going atm, fertizler soil, seeds, etc.

Vinen

God is dead
just got a notice HD is closing 6pm, you know that means closings might be coming soon, so imo get all your stuff needed for any projects you guys have going atm, fertizler soil, seeds, etc.

To be clear. They are just reducing hours.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Would make a big difference how they're attached... if you can get them up without much disturbance a person could do it safely in my opinion. Problem is telling someone over the internet you never know all the circumstances and competence.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm driving 200 miles tomorrow to go to Home Depot. I just called them though and they assured me that they would be open. I actually called all the places I am going because who the hell knows what's going to be open right now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm driving 200 miles tomorrow to go to Home Depot. I just called them though and they assured me that they would be open. I actually called all the places I am going because who the hell knows what's going to be open right now.
is that a particular HD or is that just your nearest one, dear lord

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's the closest one. 200 miles exactly. The next two are 217 miles and 231 miles respectively, but they both involve a lot more 2-lane highway so they take quite a bit longer.