Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's the closest one. 200 miles exactly. The next two are 217 miles and 231 miles respectively, but they both involve a lot more 2-lane highway so they take quite a bit longer.
just double check their stores hours then, i just got an update from menards and they're doing the same as well.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I'm driving 200 miles tomorrow to go to Home Depot. I just called them though and they assured me that they would be open. I actually called all the places I am going because who the hell knows what's going to be open right now.
You know you can pay for shipping right?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's something you have to do from time to time when you live in the sticks. We're going to Lumber Liquidators, Home Depot, General Shale for bricks, and then going to see if there's anything left at Costco.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It's something you have to do from time to time when you live in the sticks. We're going to Lumber Liquidators, Home Depot, General Shale for bricks, and then going to see if there's anything left at Costco.

Report back on Costco. I was thinking of going there today for the shits and giggles.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Diarrhea isn't a symptom a COVID-19

Hmm...

While we are focused on cough and fever as the initial signs of COVID-19, it’s also important to be aware that abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea could precede respiratory symptoms in some people.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Report back on Costco. I was thinking of going there today for the shits and giggles.

It was pretty normal. No toilet paper, no beans, no hand sanitizer but they had most other things. Several things were restricted to one per customer. The biggest difference was there were like 10 people walking around with spray bottles just continuously disinfecting everything that people touched. Sort of creepy but I was glad to see it. A few customers were wearing surgical masks.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Anybody have any tips on a brick hearth to go under my wood stove? I know the normal way to do it is to put down hardie board and then mortar the bricks to the floor, but it looks like the previous hearth they just used construction adhesive and put them right on the subfloor which seems to me would make it a lot easier to get them level. Any downside to doing that and then just putting mortar between them? I'm thinking of putting a band of flat steel around the outside to protect it from chips and such as well.

Bricks.jpg

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wouldn't worry about it too much since there's no moisture. For your metal band maybe something like an L channel you can put underneath edge of bricks (aluminum channel at graingers pretty affordable). Treating them like tile is a little more difficult because the grout doesn't wipe off. Laying patio bricks was the last time I lost my cool and smashed some shit incl grout bag. Doing it again I would have tried to fill at least some of the gap when laying the brick.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Anybody have any tips on a brick hearth to go under my wood stove? I know the normal way to do it is to put down hardie board and then mortar the bricks to the floor, but it looks like the previous hearth they just used construction adhesive and put them right on the subfloor which seems to me would make it a lot easier to get them level. Any downside to doing that and then just putting mortar between them? I'm thinking of putting a band of flat steel around the outside to protect it from chips and such as well.

View attachment 255995
What purpose does hardie board serve in this application? Seems to me that adhesive directly onto the subfloor would be fine.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
What purpose does hardie board serve in this application? Seems to me that adhesive directly onto the subfloor would be fine.

I would absolutely agree with this. Someone was ultra paranoid about heat, and that explains the cement board. A layer of bricks over the subfloor will be fine.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kind of annoyed at my contractor. Agreed to 50, 25, 25 percents payment to get the project going for my kitchen/room remodels. A combination that this is first big job this contractor is doing up here in the Northwest (spent 30 years doing it in California), and needed money, and we hadn't quite gotten the liquid funds into my account yet, he took some installments. Paid him $2500, and that got started on adding the pantry that I posted pictures of a few posts back.

Then despite it only being 2 walls, some electrical ran off previous outlets, and some texturing, it's still not done after a week, and the guy is asking for another installment $2000. Mind you, I'm naive, and these may be red flags to some, but it does certainly feel, based on conversations I've had with him, which is plenty because the fucker likes to talk instead of work, that he was hitting us up basically so he had some cash to weather out this shelter in place shit that's about to hit Washington.

I have to remember that if we had paid him based on original agreed upon schedule, we would have given him $10k at this point, about, and wouldn't even be worrying about how or why he's using the money, he would just be doing work.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Kind of annoyed at my contractor. Agreed to 50, 25, 25 percents payment to get the project going for my kitchen/room remodels. A combination that this is first big job this contractor is doing up here in the Northwest (spent 30 years doing it in California), and needed money, and we hadn't quite gotten the liquid funds into my account yet, he took some installments. Paid him $2500, and that got started on adding the pantry that I posted pictures of a few posts back.

Then despite it only being 2 walls, some electrical ran off previous outlets, and some texturing, it's still not done after a week, and the guy is asking for another installment $2000. Mind you, I'm naive, and these may be red flags to some, but it does certainly feel, based on conversations I've had with him, which is plenty because the fucker likes to talk instead of work, that he was hitting us up basically so he had some cash to weather out this shelter in place shit that's about to hit Washington.

I have to remember that if we had paid him based on original agreed upon schedule, we would have given him $10k at this point, about, and wouldn't even be worrying about how or why he's using the money, he would just be doing work.
Like any profession there are some shady mother fucking contractors out there, on the flip side there are some amazing honest, highly skilled and hard working ones too. Sadly you will not know which one you have until this is over. I guess the question is if you give him another $2,000 and he flakes where will that put you and your family? I understand times are uncertain, so $2,000 today vs $2,000 in 6 months could be very different.

You can only make this decision based on all the information you have now.

What does your gut say?
Was he referred to you?
Do you have common friends or family?
Is the money for materials?
Where will the materials be stored?

I think if he takes $2,000 and spends half or more on materials, as long as they are stored at your place, I think it is a safe bet.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If you should have paid him $10k already then it's hard to object to him asking for more if you've only paid him $2500. Maybe I misunderstood the situation though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Two questions to people more familiar with this stuff than me:

1. To organize my drawers I made some custom inserts out of small 0.25"x 2.5" poplar boards, but am really unfamiliar with how to finish them off. Kind of want to stain them and pretty up the joints where they aren't 100% clean. The pantry I built was much larger and more straightforward to work with and this is so small it has me curios.

2. My back splash tile is in, just went with a 3x12 white subway, and will probably do a standard grout with it. Any tips for putting it in myself? Going to start combing YouTube for things and I have a friend that does nothing but tile work in multi million dollar homes, but he's so busy with work during this quarantine that don't want to ask him to break away from making real money to futz around with me.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Two questions to people more familiar with this stuff than me:

1. To organize my drawers I made some custom inserts out of small 0.25"x 2.5" poplar boards, but am really unfamiliar with how to finish them off. Kind of want to stain them and pretty up the joints where they aren't 100% clean. The pantry I built was much larger and more straightforward to work with and this is so small it has me curios.

2. My back splash tile is in, just went with a 3x12 white subway, and will probably do a standard grout with it. Any tips for putting it in myself? Going to start combing YouTube for things and I have a friend that does nothing but tile work in multi million dollar homes, but he's so busy with work during this quarantine that don't want to ask him to break away from making real money to futz around with me.
I really like this Home Renovision guy.

• 1Like