Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bobcats are pretty useless for digging, especially in hard ground. They put so much weight on the rear end to let them lift more that you can't get any down pressure or the thing just tips over backwards. A mini excavator on the other hand...

146146_cat302cr_582233.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
So look carefully at those pictures from the home inspection I linked. I had to back out of the deal due to so many problems being found. My cousin estimates 30k, minimum, and that just handles the problems in the front. There wasn't a vapor barrier used between the manufactured rock and the wall. Nearly every peak was improperly framed. I have a terrifying video of water bugs coming through the wall upstairs. The seller was getting pissed because I kept having experts go out there and look at it, but the 3rd one sealed the deal. Dodged a bullet. It probably needs 60+k in repairs just due to water related issues before I put a single dollar into something that I could get back out of the house.

No vapor barrier is no joke. That house is basically built wrong. Good job checking out the suspicious stuff!

Got any 1950s era or older houses in good neighborhoods down your way? They might need some rennovation, but I generally find way more impressive materials and build quality in older houses.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Look at this guy diggin holes in his white k-swiss.

I hate you.

They were my only kicks I didn't care about getting dirty since they are my gym shoes. And they are Nike just for the record!

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Doing it all with shovel?

God damn dude didn't you recover from cancer or some shit?

Rent a bob-cat or some shit if you can!

I honestly thought it wouldn't be that hard. Anyway. The hardest part is over.

I did dig too deep though. So today I plan on back filling dirt and tamping before I put down anymore paver base. I went thru 15 bags for about 12 feet. It's solid as fuck.

Instead of a layer of sand, I went with the paver base panels. Probably triple the cost of sand, but MUCH less work using these.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Going to put down a path from my back porch to the deck across the yard. Going to do the work myself since I am home anyway. Was going to go single 15" stones. They arrived today, and the path looks MUCH better and easier to walk on doubled up side by side. Will be a few hundred more after I double them up and add some in front of the deck but I think I'll regret it if I don't double up.

The stones are thick/heavy as fuck. Will need to go down like 5 inches or so it looks like. Me just getting the stones out the driveway and in the yard KILLED me. This may take some time meees a thinkin'.

Not sure on the spacing between stones either. I kinda liked them tighter.

Anyway...Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions? (Ignore the brown shit called "grass")

View attachment 260052

You need to add some randomness or a curve. Stone pathways that are straight and ordered look weird unless you have the great pyramids to distract your eye.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You need to add some randomness or a curve. Stone pathways that are straight and ordered look weird unless you have the great pyramids to distract your eye.

That's funny you say that, because it does look...weird like you said. But my mother wants it straight. So Mama Brahma gets her straight path.

Maybe jazz it up with something along the entire length?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
That's funny you say that, because it does look...weird like you said. But my mother wants it straight. So Mama Brahma gets her straight path.

Maybe jazz it up with something along the entire length?
Monkey grass works really good as a good looking landscape edging with almost 0 maintenance (cut it down to 4 inches once a year in the winter time).

1586615673246.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Day two. When I thought the pain couldn't get any worse. It gets worse. Who knew lifting and lugging paver stones could be so painful.

Little less than halfway. It's not looking too bad! Taking a couple days off I think. This shiet hurt!

aaaaaaaaaa.jpg

• 2Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Day two. When I thought the pain couldn't get any worse. It gets worse. Who knew lifting and lugging paver stones could be so painful.

Little less than halfway. It's not looking too bad! Taking a couple days off I think. This shiet hurt!

View attachment 261914
Looks pretty good! Once you’re done and broom the polymeric sand in the gaps it’ll look the way you’re expecting it to.

I redid the patio at my house last year and was pretty disheartened with the aesthetics of how much space there was between the blocks and then the sand fixed it right up. I could’ve used another container to top mine up but I’d already stretched the budget on 2 cubic yards of concrete fines.

3DE61020-F701-4318-BDCF-BC8D022FCE76.jpeg
6DA8457C-9010-4544-BE4E-B172C9889EED.jpeg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm so bored that I bought a chainsaw. Electric, Dewalt 60v to go with my other 60v shit.

So if I don't post for a while it's because I chopped off an appendage or a tree fell on my head.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm so bored that I bought a chainsaw. Electric, Dewalt 60v to go with my other 60v shit.

So if I don't post for a while it's because I chopped off an appendage or a tree fell on my head.
Loathe though I may be to miss out on some quality Mist limb loss stories, please do yourself a favor and watch this short primer on chainsaw usage.

• 1Like

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Did some faux beams in a buddies house the other day. These pics are right after installation, we went back and filled the gaps and stained them. Center beam is 1x8's and the others are 1x6's, all in pine. We hung them by putting 2 foot 2x4's every 4 feet along the trusses and screwed the beams into those.

20200410_154517.jpg
20200410_154839.jpg
20200410_154555.jpg
20200410_154534.jpg

Last edited:

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also not sure if I put this up or not but this is a deck I did in my backyard a couple years ago.

received_653021285182511.jpeg

• 1Like

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Planter box bench the woman wanted done the other day. Took the wood from an old fence from a flip house I did. She likes the old look so I obliged. The cushions are not there for good, had to order some but they wont be here till May it seems.
20200312_172217.jpg
received_217145913051162.jpeg

• 3Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
All done with my path. Took me a solid 3 days for a 40 foot run that's 34 inches wide. It's not perfect obviously, but I think I did a good job. Two stones I could not get even. Roots were too thick, or multiple concrete fixtures a few inches down... Saved myself 3k that's for sure though!

Going to take the rest of the lattice down off the deck. Power wash the fence and deck then stain this weekend.

Get the grass planted Monday.

aaaa.jpg

• 11Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
All done with my path. Took me a solid 3 days for a 40 foot run that's 34 inches wide. It's not perfect obviously, but I think I did a good job. Two stones I could not get even. Roots were too thick, or multiple concrete fixtures a few inches down... Saved myself 3k that's for sure though!

Going to take the rest of the lattice down off the deck. Power wash the fence and deck then stain this weekend.

Get the grass planted Monday.

View attachment 263361
It sucks dick to do it by yourself but good job! You earned the back pain and a job done.

Buying a pretty cheap spray gun for the stain is pretty easy but you have to make sure to do full strokes, top to bottom on those types of fence boards. Start near the sides of the house and make sure to not fuck up in the back. Youll super notice if you messed up with the power washer back there.

Constant up and down and no stopping. Not to close, not too far away.

• 1Worf

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It sucks dick to do it by yourself but good job! You earned the back pain and a job done.

Buying a pretty cheap spray gun for the stain is pretty easy but you have to make sure to do full strokes, top to bottom on those types of fence boards. Start near the sides of the house and make sure to not fuck up in the back. Youll super notice if you messed up with the power washer back there.

Constant up and down and no stopping. Not to close, not too far away.
Also lock your arm in position. Don't swing the spray gun at the wrist like a paint brush.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Had a few yard care people come out. Priced me between 300-700 dollars. All of them said the yard needs tilling. How hard is this? Should I hire someone or do it myself?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Like with a rototiller? That is easy. Just rent one at the hardware store.

• 3Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Had a few yard care people come out. Priced me between 300-700 dollars. All of them said the yard needs tilling. How hard is this? Should I hire someone or do it myself?

It's not hard, but kinda slow going. You could buy a Honda tiller for the low end of that quote, but then you wouldn't use it often and it still wouldn't cover reseeding.