Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Another thing to keep in mind is the taller your grass is, the deeper the roots are. I’m not a lawn expert but mine has come in really well over the past couple years. The root thing was just something a couple of lawn guys told me while chatting about lawn care. Assuming it has some truth to it since both told me the same thing and my yard has done better ever since I started cutting it much higher than when I had my first home and didn’t know any better.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I figured this was beat thread. Pretend you have a tree and it falls during an insane wind/rain storm. Falls over a fence and is in someone’s yard. Some damage to their fence but not a fence you share with them.

1. What are your obligations to cleanup the tree that has fallen?
2.What are your obligations to repair fence?

I mean like legal / actual obligation. Not “neighborly” obligation.
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that whatever portion of a tree that extends over a property line is actually the neighbor's property. So to answer your question, you are under no obligation. I wouldn't want to gamble with how that plays out in front of a judge though.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Another thing to keep in mind is the taller your grass is, the deeper the roots are. I’m not a lawn expert but mine has come in really well over the past couple years. The root thing was just something a couple of lawn guys told me while chatting about lawn care. Assuming it has some truth to it since both told me the same thing and my yard has done better ever since I started cutting it much higher than when I had my first home and didn’t know any better.
I don't believe that the height of the grass necessarily has a relationship with the depth of the roots, though that may be true for some species. You must cut the grass to stimulate growth, but you don't want to remove too much leaf surface area as that is where photosynthesis occurs. Deep, infrequent watering will drive deeper root growth as the roots chase the water. People that water their lawns every day will not have healthy, drought resistant turf as the roots will be shallow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I figured this was beat thread. Pretend you have a tree and it falls during an insane wind/rain storm. Falls over a fence and is in someone’s yard. Some damage to their fence but not a fence you share with them.

Have the neighbors notified you that the tree is dead/dying and poses a danger to their persons/property?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Tree roots just means that area will probably need more water - especially in times of drought. You'll just have to play it by ear to see how much more.

It'll be a few weeks before you have to worry about this, but the most important aspect to having a good looking, thick lawn is mowing frequency. Don't cut it too low, jack your mower up to its max height then you can drop it down slowly to your desired height. But understand that the more leaf you give it, the healthier and more resilient the plant will be. A rule of thumb is never cut off more than 1/3 of the grass' height in one mowing. For example, if it gets shaggy and grows to 5-6", mow it down to 4" one day then a day or two later mow it down to 3" (if so desired).

Thank You!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
IMG_20200429_225921.jpg

Forgive the shitty pic but I moved all my water treatment shit from one end of the basement to the other. Since I have a drop ceiling it was easier to just cut out all the PVC supply side plumbing and start over with pex.I saw mixed opinions on the manifolds but decided to go with them. Yeah I know putting it all next to the electrical panel is probably not up to code but I live on the edge. Plumbing with pex is so damn easy. Completely redid the house for like $500 and if I hadn't had to make 5 trips to the hardware to get shit I forgot it would have only taken a day and a half.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Can someone point me to Lowe's or depot for what I could use for exterior trim...

Search is failing I don't know why.

Anyone use faux stone panels exterior? Thinking of using them for a bottom trim

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So new house has well water, and it has a healthy rotten egg smell, so definitely have sulfur gas. I think my area has hard water too. As far as I know the house has no treatment or filtration system. My quick GoogleFu says I should go with a full spectrum system. What have you well guys gone with?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

No legal obligation to clean up the tree or repair the fence. Wouldn't homeowners insurance cover that or does it not cover fences?

That said, if my tree fell into someone's yard I would offer to help at least cut it up. Neighbor's tree fell in our yard s few years ago and took me, him, and 4 other people a full 10 hours to chop and clean it up. It was extremely nice of him (and some others were other neighbors that just pitched in)

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Question. The front of my yard is on a very moderate slope from my driveway down to the next street. Id say maybe 5-10 degree grade. Whenever it rains the water runs along the front of my properties and where the yard and street meet is turning I to a ditch. Last year I filled it with dirt and gravel to hope maybe it'd just drain down but it didn't help. Back to it looking like shit again.

What's my best course of action? Do I need someone to leave a lip in front of my yard?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So new house has well water, and it has a healthy rotten egg smell, so definitely have sulfur gas. I think my area has hard water too. As far as I know the house has no treatment or filtration system. My quick GoogleFu says I should go with a full spectrum system. What have you well guys gone with?
In my area Culligan hooked me up with $10k of filtration and softener equipment for like $130/mth 0% financing. They even come out once a month to top up the consumables for $2 convenience fee.

Edit: we have basically everything that can be bad about well water in our water: bacteria, tannins, hard water, and metals.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
In my area Culligan hooked me up with $10k of filtration and softener equipment for like $130/mth 0% financing. They even come out once a month to top up the consumables for $2 convenience fee.

Edit: we have basically everything that can be bad about well water in our water: bacteria, tannins, hard water, and metals.

Steep, but probably worth it with both sulfur and hard water. How long have you had it and would you repurchase?