Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
The ditch their digging isn't far, it's like 20 ft from the pump house to shed.

Demo isn't much, just removing some unused breaker panels inside the shed and then the concrete flooring in shed that's gotta be broken up to reach drain pipe then repatched. So i don't feel like that is what's upping the cost so much.

To clarify, the conversion of above ground to underground electrical is all being handled by the power company so theyll trench that to the house. Just talked to the design engineer the other day and he says he finished the design and its under review but right now it's at 11k (underground transformer unfortunately bumped it up like $4200)
I mostly meant the plumbing lines to the new waterheater, those will need to be in a ditch too. I dont know florida code but it needs to be something and it cant be touching any electrical lines. The township wont dig an extra line for the plumbing or care at all. Unless I misread something.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think concrete decks are pretty nice. My brother has one and materials wise it was similar to wood but it should last forever with little to no maintenance. If you don't like the look of plain concrete you can color it and use stamps and such to get a more finished look.

(not his deck, just a picture from the internet)
View attachment 277091

and a stamped one...

allen-patio-contractors-concrete-decks-wood-stamped-concrete-stained-concrete-companies-allen-patios.jpg
I have a deck with an upper and lower area on it that was not taken care of and needs replacing. Been looking into options and I like the idea of concrete for the lower area. Is this something within the reach of a retard like me? I've been watching YouTube videos prepping for rebuilding the deck and have basic knowledge or tools and hardware.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I have a deck with an upper and lower area on it that was not taken care of and needs replacing. Been looking into options and I like the idea of concrete for the lower area. Is this something within the reach of a retard like me? I've been watching YouTube videos prepping for rebuilding the deck and have basic knowledge or tools and hardware.
Yes it's within reach, but I wouldn't do it unless you have a keen attention to detail and the physical stamina to mix and pour (literally) tons of concrete.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's a bit much for a DIYer. We did it on my brother's house but we have a cousin that is a civil engineer who designed it for us and another cousin who is a pipe fitter who came and did the structural welding.

If the concrete is going to be on the ground and not up in the air that makes it a lot more doable. Probably with enough YouTube you can do it but there's a lot of ways to fuck it up and it's a real mess to bust it up and get rid of it if you're not happy with it. Don't mix that much by hand, get a truck, but time is of the essence once it's poured.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know where else to post this so you guys get it.

Been putting out shit for free plus we had a dumpster. Dumpster is gone and I had a few things left. One was a heavy ass desk. I'm talking 50-60 pounds. Solid wood.

So I put it out disassembled, with the legs and bolts on top.

Some fuckin bitch comes and takes just the legs and bolts. I thought she'd come back but nope, that was early yesterday. So now I gotta pay to get this thing hauled away. What an asshole.

Smile bitch
IMG_20200613_173358.jpg

Screenshot_20200614-205220.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>

Been putting out shit for free plus we had a dumpster. Dumpster is gone and I had a few things left. One was a heavy ass desk. I'm talking 50-60 pounds. Solid wood.

Some fuckin bitch comes and takes just the legs and bolts. I thought she'd come back but nope, that was early yesterday. So now I gotta pay to get this thing hauled away. What an asshole.

Smile bitch View attachment 278135

View attachment 278136
No guarantees, but you'd probably get someone to come get the top if you posted it as reclaimed wood. I’ve been on the lookout for about a year now but I’m in a fairly rural area so demand for reclaimed lumber exceeds the supply.

Failing that, every place I’ve lived has had a self service landfill within 15-20 minutes of me that I could take stuff like that. When I lived in a big suburb of Raleigh, the city offered a curbside furniture/appliance pickup service for $10. The most painful part was taking the cash to city hall.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So now I gotta pay to get this thing hauled away.

No guarantees, but you'd probably get someone to come get the top if you posted it as reclaimed wood.

Seconded. If you can find whatever forum your local hobbyist woodworkers hang out on, I guarantee someone will pick that up ASAP. If I lived near you I'd already be on my way. Solid wood at the price of free will always find a home. I've picked up slats from a broken bed, water-staned tables, all kinds of shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

Smile bitch View attachment 278135

View attachment 278136
dude just give it a shout out on next door, it'd be gone in a hour.

nextdoor also supports easy ring uploads too

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Should I upload the pic of the criminal in the act???

I posted it on my towns facebook
i wouldn't call her a criminal, she just picked up what she wanted, but in my hood nextdoor is where all shit is done. it's even where we rag on our hoa with them there.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Looks like she couldn't get the tabletop into her car so she took the legs to keep anyone else from taking the rest of it until she could get back with a larger vehicle. Maybe her pickup truck driving friends weren't as friendly as she thought they would be.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like she couldn't get the tabletop into her car so she took the legs to keep anyone else from taking the rest of it until she could get back with a larger vehicle. Maybe her pickup truck driving friends weren't as friendly as she thought they would be.

People are fucking weird. My neighbor was selling a couch for like 100 bucks. It was in fine shape, just old and a little warn. Well this black dude is coming to pay for it and pick it up and he shows up in a civic. We’re like uhh how you gonna do this and he starts telling us we should load it in one of our trucks and deliver it to his place. We had to finally tell him to just move the fuck on. Weird.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So looks like general contractor may start this week. Pretty stoked.

Next project - building a new bridge over the river on property. Current bridge is prob 60+ years old and steel beams rusted through to the point it's probably about to break. I was thinking I'd need to get a bunch of permitting with the county, Florida env agency, us army co of engs, etc however, talked to my neighbor next door who has a pretty sick bridge that the previous owner built (fucking insane suspension bridge with steel cables etc) and he says that one of our neighbors did some research and ends up that we actually own the land under the river - apparently upstream the river got diverted and technically the "real" river which the state owns goes on the other side of this island of land..

Anyone have any idea how I could find this out? Would there be some public record of what the state owns in regards to this river? I guess i could get it surveyed but surveyor gets that info from somewhere right? Hoping i can tell the state and county to get bent. If someone diverted the river upstream them how would my land all of the sudden become state owned.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm starting to get gay with my yard. Bought some flowers to get some color back there. (I NEVER in my life pictured me doing this 30 years ago) Where the grass won't grow I made a rock, river thingy.

Next I will do the lights!

IMG_20200616_194438.jpg

• 9Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 9 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'm starting to get gay with my yard. Bought some flowers to get some color back there. (I NEVER in my life pictured me doing this 30 years ago) Where the grass won't grow I made a rock, river thingy.

Next I will do the lights!

View attachment 278438
if you're having trouble spots, i'd recommend using this ProPlugger 5-IN-1 Lawn Tool and Garden Tool, Bulb Planter, Weeder, Sod Plugger, Annual Planter, Soil Test
i've had it for a while now and it's great, the first two years at my house i had a few spots that just wouldn't grow. aeration, humic powder, compost, constant attention... nothing.

then when i pulled plugs (in my backyard, we have a trench for water to flow down to), man that soil was thick and heart and the roots looked amazing (grass there was probably 20years old), and i made holes for where it would go, the soil was like night and day. It was practically sand.

what i like about this vs the other versions (they're square) is that i can grab like 15 plugs in 20s, just slamed into the ground, step on it, turn, pull out and keep going (the plugs are held in the tube), then i just empty it into my bucket and get howmany i need

when i prep and make the holes, i do it like dice
2502956-200.png

it's really great, it's like a hair transplant for lawns.