Home Improvement

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Anyone here done french drains? I have gutters on a portion of the front of the house however where the roof does the inverted V part on the front there's no gutters, so, it ends up dumping to the front right here and pooling.

House is on an incline so if I can get it to the side of the house I could drain it down. Wondering if I can trench at an incline for a french drain along this front wall where it pools to the side of the house. For the front I'd prefer french drain with no rock (like just under the dirt if possible?) because I either have to cross the brick pavers to get to one side or cross the drain line/cable line/eventually electrical line to get to other side. On the sides I can do rock french drain.

Any ideas would be helpful. Wish I could post pic of house/situation more but concerned about privacy. If you have experience and don't want to ruin my life PM me and ill send pic, would greatly appreciate it and welcome you to come hang whenever!

View attachment 293118

Jesus fuck dude post the front/surroundings of your 70s retro house with shag carpet and that disgusting fake wood paneling. Do you live out in the Florida boonies?

Just don't post the street/house numbers.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Jesus fuck dude post the front/surroundings of your 70s retro house with shag carpet and that disgusting fake wood paneling. Do you live out in the Florida boonies?

Just don't post the street/house numbers.
Excuse me its 60s, all real wood and no shag carpet.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a few pneumatic tools I have that I just really like. I make quite a bit of furniture, and I have an inline sander that can't be beat. I have air wrenches which are handy for working on my tractor and such. I also have an air drill which is awesome because I can get it into small, narrow places. And it gets cooler as you run it more. It's awesome. I have all the standard nailers and staplers. I also end up using my cut off tool quite a bit.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone here done french drains? I have gutters on a portion of the front of the house however where the roof does the inverted V part on the front there's no gutters, so, it ends up dumping to the front right here and pooling.

House is on an incline so if I can get it to the side of the house I could drain it down. Wondering if I can trench at an incline for a french drain along this front wall where it pools to the side of the house. For the front I'd prefer french drain with no rock (like just under the dirt if possible?) because I either have to cross the brick pavers to get to one side or cross the drain line/cable line/eventually electrical line to get to other side. On the sides I can do rock french drain.

Any ideas would be helpful. Wish I could post pic of house/situation more but concerned about privacy. If you have experience and don't want to ruin my life PM me and ill send pic, would greatly appreciate it and welcome you to come hang whenever!

View attachment 293118

Had one put in at the house. Did not do it myself. It drained the yard in front of the house and carried it under the driveway which would then flow downill to a small drainage into the lake behind the house. Over time grass had grown up and trees and shit and the front yard started collecting water. It was easier than building up the entire front yard which would have caused problems with water next to the house then. Guy came out with a little boring deal like a mini excavator and drilled under the driveway in about 5 minutes then the actual deal around the drain didn't take any time at all. They sank a preformed on with a grate on it.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So over the past week I've put up no trespassing survellance violators prosecuted etc signs along the outer edges of property. Further in I put no trespassing violators will be shot, survivors shot again.

Also put up dummy cameras that have a red LED turn on at night.

Property is almost completely fenced with barbed wire except one side that has super thick woods. There's one part that thinner that people could get through so I put a no trespassing signs up there.

Yesterday only an hour after leaving I get an alert from my camera that a person has been detected. It's the same motherfucker with two little kids. I turn on all sirens but not sure where they are at this point as they're out of camera view.

What in the fuck is wrong with people? Wtf do I have to do to kindly get people to stop coming on my property like it's their fucking backyard? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be friends with my neighbors and then let them have access if they ask me but what kind of gull does it take to walk right in with all those signs, especially with two kids...

Thinking of going to buy barbed wire and run it at foot level between trees on my property where I think they're coming from. Only concern is hurting the wildlife, bears, deer etc. Maybe I should just wrap it up to face level between trees.

Edit - apparently rambo is bullshit and you can't booby trap your private property. Had to look up florida law. Gotta order custom no trespassing signs with my name on them.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Need a brad nail gun.

Pneumatic or electric? I've been doing all DeWalt electric for most tools. I know people mentioned earlier that most seemed to prefer electric over pneumatic.

Need to nail in trim pieces

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Need a brad nail gun.

Pneumatic or electric? I've been doing all DeWalt electric for most tools. I know people mentioned earlier that most seemed to prefer electric over pneumatic.

Need to nail in trim pieces

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trim and nothing else, ever? Then you won't need anything particularly heavy duty. Do you have any other pneumatic tools or would this be a first? I'd personally rather not have a random assortment of pneumatic, or even just one piece.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Trim and nothing else, ever? Then you won't need anything particularly heavy duty. Do you have any other pneumatic tools or would this be a first? I'd personally rather not have a random assortment of pneumatic, or even just one piece.
I have an impact wrench, some grinder and i think something else. So i guess its pretty obvious i dont use it much..

Id rather go electric if i can get away with it for the job.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I have an impact wrench, some grinder and i think something else. So i guess its pretty obvious i dont use it much..

Id rather go electric if i can get away with it for the job.
The general feeling I get from old timers is that pneumatic was the way to go before cordless lithium battery tools were prevalent and contractor quality. These days, pneumatic is something you use until they wear out and you replace them with cordless. There may be some hold outs, but if an impact wrench can make the jump from pneumatic to cordless without compromising effectiveness, I imagine any tool can.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Terrazo being refinished. Soo close to moving in.. new deck being done next month

Last todos - paint house, gutter/drainage and figuring out how to kill these fire ants.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So the central AC took a shit 2 days ago, amazing timing. I knew it was old, but not installed in '89 :emoji_older_man:

At least we have a split ductless in the main living area

First verbal quote for a full HVAC reinstall, 5 ton 17 seer, is 10k.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Soo was in attic and noticed light coming through ridge of roof.. the wood doesn't seem to completely seal it however it seams that there is some sort of material on outside that is covering it..

I don't have ridge vents.

I assume this is probably not good?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Soo was in attic and noticed light coming through ridge of roof.. the wood doesn't seem to completely seal it however it seams that there is some sort of material on outside that is covering it..

I don't have ridge vents.

I assume this is probably not good?

No, not good. That will leak. Something like this is a quick, easy fix

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So I bought this house after a quick walk-through... While unpacking we found a secret room in what's going to be my son's toy room.

You push the wood panels and it pops open into a small closet like area.

He lost his fucking mind over this. Lol

I've had one installed. Seek a professional, IMO. Never mind the carcinogenic gas, you'll want the warranty and receipt if you ever sell the house.

Guy should have it done next week.

Looking at a whole house dehumidifier. That's going to be another thousand.