Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So the central AC took a shit 2 days ago, amazing timing. I knew it was old, but not installed in '89 :emoji_older_man:

At least we have a split ductless in the main living area

First verbal quote for a full HVAC reinstall, 5 ton 17 seer, is 10k.

How do you like the ductless? Do you mean a mini-split? I'm thinking about doing that in my house since there's no ducts. Right now I just have a window unit and you don't need a whole lot of ac in Montana but after it being in the 90s for the last 10 days or so I could wish for more than the window unit and window air conditioners block the window which is pretty lame.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How do you like the ductless? Do you mean a mini-split? I'm thinking about doing that in my house since there's no ducts. Right now I just have a window unit and you don't need a whole lot of ac in Montana but after it being in the 90s for the last 10 days or so I could wish for more than the window unit and window air conditioners block the window which is pretty lame.

How the hell do you not have ducts where you live? Radiators? Under floor?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Found this awesome chain store that's niche is like ranching/farm stuff. Went and literally bought cracked corn specific for turkey, infused with protein, and my gobblers are too dumb to eat it. 😑

Looks like Jimmy cracked corn and didn't care.

• 1Rimshot
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It works really well. If the layout in the main living area was a little more open it would handle the space easily.

1598085434073.png
1598085487713.png

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I know a few people who have put mini splits in their houses to help in rooms that tend to get hotter then the rest of the house. I haven't heard any complaints from them and those rooms are now freezing. Definitely the way to go over a window unit.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Radiant heat in the ceiling and a wood stove.

Wood stove makes sense, but radiant heat in the ceiling? I've heard of this, but never seen it in person. How well does that work? Seems like you'd have a very warm attic, and not a toasty house. Am I wrong?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I know a few people who have put mini splits in their houses to help in rooms that tend to get hotter then the rest of the house. I haven't heard any complaints from them and those rooms are now freezing. Definitely the way to go over a window unit.
i was just browsing and as long as you can get the concrete pad poured for the outside ac, you can buy complete diy units

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Wood stove makes sense, but radiant heat in the ceiling? I've heard of this, but never seen it in person. How well does that work? Seems like you'd have a very warm attic, and not a toasty house. Am I wrong?

It actually works really well but it's pretty expensive. There's a thermostat in every room and it stays nice and warm without the noise and dust from the forced air. People think that heat rises but it's actually hot air that rises. Heat radiates from the ceiling to the objects in the room including the people and it's really quite nice except for the electric bill. My plan is to just use it as a backup to the wood stove, but I used it a lot while I was remodeling last winter and I was pretty pleasantly surprised how much I like it, especially since the intake for my furnace in the old house was right next to my TV chair and I always hated the noise from it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It actually works really well but it's pretty expensive. There's a thermostat in every room and it stays nice and warm without the noise and dust from the forced air. People think that heat rises but it's actually hot air that rises. Heat radiates from the ceiling to the objects in the room including the people and it's really quite nice except for the electric bill. My plan is to just use it as a backup to the wood stove, but I used it a lot while I was remodeling last winter and I was pretty pleasantly surprised how much I like it, especially since the intake for my furnace in the old house was right next to my TV chair and I always hated the noise from it.

Interesting. I like the idea of no forced air noise, and I like the radiating heat. I still think I'd prefer it under floor. The places where I've encountered that make everything warm from the floor up, so your feet are always warm. And you sit down on a warm couch. But yours is electric? Or it circulates water that is heated with electricity?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finished tikifying the new bar, installed a foot rail that I made out of pvc pipe and finished it to look like bamboo.

tiki bar 1.jpg

tiki bar 2.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes, you can drink well water. You'll want to have the water tested though, I don't know about your area but in NE Florida we have extremely hard water and can also have a lot of sulfur gas which require more than just a simple filter set up.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Interesting. I like the idea of no forced air noise, and I like the radiating heat. I still think I'd prefer it under floor. The places where I've encountered that make everything warm from the floor up, so your feet are always warm. And you sit down on a warm couch. But yours is electric? Or it circulates water that is heated with electricity?

It's electric wires that are plastered onto the ceiling. I do think the liquid under the floor version is probably more efficient although you have to worry about leaks then. Nobody does the electric radiant heat anymore I think because electricity has gotten more expensive than it was in the 70's and 80's when it was popular but I was pleasantly surprised with how it works.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Also, is it even worth messing with my well? The irrigation system is non functional. It's all copper so 60 years and the parts of it that havent been run over or knocked down still stand.

It's actually right next to my water line for house but can you even drink well water? Would be nice to have prepper backup water.. Maybe a filter system? My concrete block (yes concrete block) septic tank is literally probably 30 ft away from this which these days isn't up to code obviously. Don't wanna be drinking my own poo water.

I would definitely check it out. You said it just has a shallow well jet pump above the ground right? Those are like $150 and even if all you do with it is water the lawn it would be worth it to save money on municipal water. You should definitely have it tested before you drink much of it though. My well water isn't toxic but it's very hard and has a lot of minerals in it so it tastes horrible and ruins all the plumbing fixtures. I have about $5000 worth of machinery in the basement to make it drinkable but it can be done.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'd love to have a second well for irrigation. You bet I'd loo into that. And like Brutul said, if all the pump stuff is on the surface and accessible, it shouldn't be a big deal getting it going. Do have it tested before you drink it. We have well water, and it is so good. It's tough for me to drink city water now.

• 1Like