Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So these vents run along my roof to attic. Any suggestions on material to seal them better from critters without hindering the ability for roof to breathe in cooler air?

View attachment 296339
That mesh isn’t working? What gets in there now? You can get welded wire in pretty small sizes and it wouldn’t reduce air flow.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Bugs. Maybe just smaller mesh?
Eh bugs will get in regardless of the mesh size. I pay $90 every three months for Arrow to come out and treat the perimeter of the house and no longer deal with bugs in the house.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You guys paying exterminators should look up a product called Tempo (I buy the Liquid concentrate), it's like $50 on amazon to let you fill like 15 gallons worth for a sprayer (roughly) and you'll probably never use it all before it goes bad (2-3 years) unless you have a huge property. I used to always buy ant traps that kinda worked but not for very long but it's always a battle to get them before they get into the house/garage, etc. Someone recommended this stuff to me and now I just spray once or twice in spring around my house, inside my garage along the edges and doors and landscaping preemptively. Those bastards never get into my house anymore, I have an irrational hatred of ants so this stuff is a blessing.

It's extremely effective on ants and spiders and the lingering killing power it leaves behind lasts for several months. I had some fairly large common ant mounds this spring in one part of my lawn and I sprayed them with this and a few days later I couldn't find an ant moving there anymore. It's also supposed to be safe for pets once it dries. Some states ban the sale to home owners though so YMMV.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So these vents run along my roof to attic. Any suggestions on material to seal them better from critters without hindering the ability for roof to breathe in cooler air?

View attachment 296339

1598314474831.jpeg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You guys paying exterminators should look up a product called Tempo (I buy the Liquid concentrate), it's like $50 on amazon to let you fill like 15 gallons worth for a sprayer (roughly) and you'll probably never use it all before it goes bad (2-3 years) unless you have a huge property. I used to always buy ant traps that kinda worked but not for very long but it's always a battle to get them before they get into the house/garage, etc. Someone recommended this stuff to me and now I just spray once or twice in spring around my house, inside my garage along the edges and doors and landscaping preemptively. Those bastards never get into my house anymore, I have an irrational hatred of ants so this stuff is a blessing.

It's extremely effective on ants and spiders and the lingering killing power it leaves behind lasts for several months. I had some fairly large common ant mounds this spring in one part of my lawn and I sprayed them with this and a few days later I couldn't find an ant moving there anymore. It's also supposed to be safe for pets once it dries. Some states ban the sale to home owners though so YMMV.
this?
632e9af2d975de80792d768318ad2782.png

Tempo Ultra WP Contact Insecticide

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
ok cool, just mix into a sprayer and spray the perimeter of house and garage?

Yep, and if you're like me you'll want to wear a mask/gloves/jeans because you'll splash a little no matter what.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Thanks man, i think i saw that at home depot but it's pre cut to fit a certain style (or am I missing something?).

Stumbled upon this stuff. Ideally I think this would be best placed on the inside portion in attic of the vent with the pre existing mesh on outside to keep rodents from it, however, getting around that attic is fucking AIDs and I don't even know if I can make it down to those eaves from inside the attic.

Think I'm fine just stapling this over wire mesh and seeing how it works? I reallyyyy don't want to work in that attic anymore but I'll investigate getting to those eaves from the inside if that's just the best way to do this.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nobody with a HVAC dehumidifier?

Where is P Picasso3 ? Lol
sorry i just have a powerful 4500 sq ft regular dehumidifier in my basement, it's so strong i have to close the door in the bedroom and get a huge 4L humidifier to keep it at 60% humidity (yes very high, but it seems to be the humidity point my wife doesn't have allergies)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
sorry i just have a powerful 4500 sq ft regular dehumidifier in my basement, it's so strong i have to close the door in the bedroom and get a huge 4L humidifier to keep it at 60% humidity (yes very high, but it seems to be the humidity point my wife doesn't have allergies)

I've got something similar, but wanted something in the HVAC.

Not sure this HVAC system has a condensate pump... It's naturally humid here, and with the basement it gets out of control

HVAC guy is coming out next week I think to check outside unit, will figure it out then.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
My general contractor who I've honestly had more bad experience than good with, regarding his subcontractors, wants to go ahead and lock me into redoing my deck for 11k with pressure treated wood even though he has no start date. Says hes backed up probably a month. Just sent me a text asking me to sign agreement so he can go ahead and order it but he has no start date. Seems like I'm getting fucked. Fuck him?