Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Swamp coolers work well in dry environments but probably not too well in Florida. I'm not sure what is meant by portable air conditioner but most of them need a window or at least a vent for outside air. If you're open to spending a bit more money, a mini-split AC would be great for a garage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Swamp coolers work well in dry environments but probably not too well in Florida. I'm not sure what is meant by portable air conditioner but most of them need a window or at least a vent for outside air. If you're open to spending a bit more money, a mini-split AC would be great for a garage.

Yeah, after reviewing the available portable AC's, for a good one you're already half way to paying for a 8000 BTU mini split so I'll probably go the mini split route.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, after reviewing the available portable AC's, for a good one you're already half way to paying for a 8000 BTU mini split so I'll probably go the mini split route.
if you can hang the mini split, thats like a 1/3 of the cost saved instead of pouring a slab on the ground for it.

look at this man barbarian his way as a one man operation

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The wall mount looks good and that guy is a real man but if you want a slab to put your mini-split on it doesn't have to cost more than a couple of 2x6's, a bucket, a hose, and about $25 worth of quikrete.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I used to use something like this before I plumbed in permanent heat to the buildings/garage.

It's loud, and you don't want it running constantly, but run it for ten minutes and the place is tasty warm, then work for an hour or two, ad give it another ten minutes. The tube heaters are quick and efficient, portable, and not expensive.

Another option is something like this:

The down side to these is that they are simply radiant, so the heat goes up, now out and it stays colder around your feet. However, I did use these for a while, and I had a metal card table. I put the table over it, and it forced the heat to move sideways instead of up, so it heated the room much better, even around the feet. A cheap piece of ducting metal on saw horses would have the same effect.

But what I ended up doing was making friends with people who worked in HVAC. They'd help me find forced air gas units that had a damaged component, that insurance was replacing for someone. I could get them for next to nothing. Then I'd get another that had a different component that was damaged. I've been able to build up five forced air gas furnaces, three of them with air conditioning included, for under a couple thousand dollars. All I had to do was run the gas line and some simple ducting.

In my woodworking shop I'm looking to replace the forced air with radiant. Forced air blows the dust around too much.
Thanks, I'm going to order that one from Napa

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The wall mount looks good and that guy is a real man but if you want a slab to put your mini-split on it doesn't have to cost more than a couple of 2x6's, a bucket, a hose, and about $25 worth of quikrete.
If you want to get real fancy, a wheelbarrow of gravel and a shovel, too.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Holidays are coming up fast.

73zJn8W.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Buddy of mine moved into his new house, and asked me to wire up his new doorbell camera.

I was all like "Sure, that''ll be super-duper easy!"

So I go over, he hands me the doorbell, and the instructions are...pretty fucking simple. So I rewire the chime, install the doorbell/camera....and nothing.

So now I'm troubleshooting the simplest circuit in his house...and I figure out...that the transformer is dead. But I know that his doorbell worked right before we started, because I pushed his doorbell when I got to his house, LOL. So at some point, while I was putting this thing up, that transformer died.

We go to a local Home Depot, and ask a guy in Electrical where the hell the doorbell transformers are. We don't want a kit, just the transformer. And he asks if this is for a Ring/Wyze/etc.

This kind of throws me (why would he ask that?), but we're like "Yeah...?" and he walks off towards a different aisle, and starts talking about how tons of people have had to buy new transformers for this kind of stuff. He steers us over to some much larger transformers. The new ones here were about 30w or VA (give or take; fuck off RE: power factor) so that is about 3 times the rating on most vanilla doorbell transformers.

At this point it dawns on me that we probably overloaded that transformer. We get back, I install the new transformer, and everything works like a charm. So at this point I'm shocked that 1) the guy at Home Depot was actually helpful, 2) the load rating on the doorbell camera is 10vA, 3) the rating on the old transformer is also 10vA, 4) that this would burn up a transformer as quickly as it did.

I deal with industrial control transformers all of the time, but those are always fused externally. And I can't imagine that we shorted the windings somehow (but primary coil = no continuity). But back in the day when I wired houses for a living, you wouldn't even bother troubleshooting past the shitty-ass 3rd world country transformer...you just tossed the old one and bought a new one.

So on a hunch I took this to work on Monday and opened it up on my bench.

...because OF COURSE it had a 'thermal' fuse inside of the tape on the coils, where you otherwise can't see it. And of course it's shot. But it mildly pisses me off that the manufacturers of the camera didn't put anything in the instructions about their product needing an amount of current that just happens to be the max rating of most cheap doorbell transformers. Meaning that they're either incompetent, or they absolutely 100% knew going in that their product was going to overload a ton of existing transformers upon installation.

I should probably have known better, but I just assumed that the load was small enough not to matter.

What *WAS* hilarious to me, though, was reading through Reddit posts afterwards, when people tried installing their own stuff and then started having to replace transformer after transformer and not knowing WHY their transformers kept dying.

1633495463978.png

1633495576172.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
When I installed my nest doorbell I had to get a different transformer. I got a this one

It hasn't given me any issues.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Is there a filter capable of taking out phthalates and other junk?

Tried looking through some last night but didn't see a lot about it and all the filters were plastic... Lol

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is there a filter capable of taking out phthalates and other junk?

Tried looking through some last night but didn't see a lot about it and all the filters were plastic... Lol
those things are voc's a hepa filter isn't gonna touch that, you have to get into charcoal/plasma/ozone

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is what I have. But I got it on sale for around $300.

Waterdrop RO Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System, NSF Certified, TDS Reduction, 400 GPD Fast Flow, Tankless, Compact, Smart Faucet, UL Listed Power, USA Tech, Brushed Nickel Based Faucet

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is what I have. But I got it on sale for around $300.

Waterdrop RO Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System, NSF Certified, TDS Reduction, 400 GPD Fast Flow, Tankless, Compact, Smart Faucet, UL Listed Power, USA Tech, Brushed Nickel Based Faucet
yea those are great if you don't have the room under your sink and you wouldn't mind sacrificing countertop space.

i mean i put my ro unit on top of the fridge (those 2 little storage cabinets no one can access unless they are 6 8' super chads) and i had to get an especially small 2gallon tank for it to fit.