Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Look at all of you clean-water hipsters in this thread
it's b/c topeka is run by rednecks i know about ro
c389f7511dd0c11b9c1892598743999b.png

i had at least 3 letters from topeka water like this

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I have a whole house water softener / filtration system, RO in the kitchen (push button to engage at the sink) with the line to the refrigerator coming through the RO system, so ice / drinking water from there is filtered.

5 stage, like Lanx Lanx mentioned. Softener makes a huge difference and it made the wife / girls happy, so whatever.

I'm on city water but it was hard as fuck and the amount of chlorine in it, when I fill up stuff in the shop (which isn't filtered, it's a shop) almost makes me gag. All that shit removed at the entry point to the house.

I was thinking of going RO for the whole house, but that would cost $20k. Nothx.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yea those are great if you don't have the room under your sink and you wouldn't mind sacrificing countertop space.

i mean i put my ro unit on top of the fridge (those 2 little storage cabinets no one can access unless they are 6 8' super chads) and i had to get an especially small 2gallon tank for it to fit.
Yeah we have it under our sink. I wouldn’t have bought it if I had it on my countertop.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a whole house water softener / filtration system, RO in the kitchen (push button to engage at the sink) with the line to the refrigerator coming through the RO system, so ice / drinking water from there is filtered.
i've been putting it off, but i bought the water filter housings for 5micron and 1micron to filter the whole house (along w/ having the 5 stage ro in kitchen)

i notice there is a built up sediment at a toilet i don't use often (rust ring)

the problem is, i believe i have to rip out 1 side of my garage wall to access the pipe, i've mapped out the piping on the wall and it looks like a fucking maze if i believe this
s-l500.jpg

you might want to think about adding a 5 or 1 micro and carbon whole house filter as well since these do not drop water pressure as long as your cartridges are dirty and not changed (which youre already afamiliar with) and you get the same pipe size (3/4 to 3/4, etc)

you might have better showers

you can use the same 10x2.5 waterfilter housings as you probably have in your 40 unit.

most ppl get a 20x 2.5 or a 10x4.5 or even the mega jumbo 20x4.5 so they don't have to change it out as much

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I have a fuckoff huge Culligan system installed that filters everything but isn’t whole house RO. “Softener” is just easier.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
i've been putting it off, but i bought the water filter housings for 5micron and 1micron to filter the whole house (along w/ having the 5 stage ro in kitchen)

the problem is, i believe i have to rip out 1 side of my garage wall to access the pipe, i've mapped out the piping on the wall and it looks like a fucking maze if i believe this
s-l500.jpg

you might want to think about adding a 5 or 1 micro and carbon whole house filter as well since these do not drop water pressure as long as your cartridges are dirty and not changed (which youre already afamiliar with) and you get the same pipe size (3/4 to 3/4, etc)

you can use the same 10x2.5 waterfilter housings as you probably have in your 40 unit.

most ppl get a 20x 2.5 or a 10x4.5 or even the mega jumbo 20x4.5 so they don't have to change it out as much

Those stud finder toys are usually garbage. They work fine on commercial steel framing, but old wooden homes with pipes set back far enough to not take a screw when they sheeted the wall are a much tougher read. If you really want to see into a wall, invest in FLIR. They make affordable homeowner ones that click on to a smartphone, never used one, don't know how good they are compared to a commercial rig.

Smartphone versions always go cheap around black Friday, I am always tempted but haven't bit yet.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Looks like a gimmick and a waste of money. That said, I bought one. This house needs a lot of work...it might come in handy.

• 1Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Lanx Lanx if you have an iOS device I can send you a FLIR to use for awhile. I haven't used it in months and probably don't need it for a few months.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The commercial/ industrial level FLIRs are fucking epic. Total game changer for identifying issues before starting a job..

You do best with a certified operator to twist the knobs and someone who understands the context of what you are looking at . A mason looking at waterproofing failures is different than a roofer looking at leaks etc. I have gone over vessels with a FLIR tech, a Marine Surveyor and myself and all three of us are seeing different things than each other. Being able to go over the footage again later is a huge plus too. Those FLIR rigs start at $10,000. So like I said I don't know what that $200 buys you, but I am a fan of the tech and creative ways I have seen people apply it.

That condo that collapsed in Florida? 100% you could have seen how bad the water damage was with one of those big boy cameras.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The commercial/ industrial level FLIRs are fucking epic. Total game changer for identifying issues before starting a job..

You do best with a certified operator to twist the knobs and someone who understands the context of what you are looking at . A mason looking at waterproofing failures is different than a roofer looking at leaks etc. I have gone over vessels with a FLIR tech, a Marine Surveyor and myself and all three of us are seeing different things than each other. Being able to go over the footage again later is a huge plus too. Those FLIR rigs start at $10,000. So like I said I don't know what that $200 buys you, but I am a fan of the tech and creative ways I have seen people apply it.

That condo that collapsed in Florida? 100% you could have seen how bad the water damage was with one of those big boy cameras.
The phone versions are ok for around the house, finding studs and stuff. We have one at work that’s around $20k I think. You can see every stud, air vent, etc. Used it to drill into concrete that had heat pipes in it at a coworkers pole barn so he didn’t hit em. You can see where footprints from where people walked like five minutes ago with that thing, it’s awesome.

We told our coworker it’s so powerful we could see farts with it so she better be careful. She didn’t believe us (it can’t) so he photoshopped a massive IR blast cloud coming out of my ass and loaded up to the camera to show her a few days later when we had it out again. Was hilarious.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The phone versions are ok for around the house, finding studs and stuff. We have one at work that’s around $20k I think. You can see every stud, air vent, etc. Used it to drill into concrete that had heat pipes in it at a coworkers pole barn so he didn’t hit em. You can see where footprints from where people walked like five minutes ago with that thing, it’s awesome.

We told our coworker it’s so powerful we could see farts with it so she better be careful. She didn’t believe us (it can’t) so he photoshopped a massive IR blast cloud coming out of my ass and loaded up to the camera to show her a few days later when we had it out again. Was hilarious.

Local drone service company has a FLIR camera they fly over PV instalations regularly to ID panels going bad. He said that has been a pretty lucrative.

Bandwagon Bandwagon ?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

s-l500.jpg

Why a whole house filter? You want to shower in reverse osmosis water? I guess I just want to drink it. I’m just a level 2 reverse osmosis connoisseur.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why a whole house filter? You want to shower in reverse osmosis water? I guess I just want to drink it. I’m just a level 2 reverse osmosis connoisseur.
usually the term for "whole house filter" applies to just these types

672d264af422196618f8f8b4e94d7ca8.png

you'd just put in sediment filters, maybe activated carbon and deioning, the pressure drop is barely noticable and it useful to extend the life of faucets and appliances.

but yea it'd also be impossible to have reverse osmosis for just regular running water besides being wasteful it's nearly impossible to have that much filtered water on hand

• 1Like