Home Improvement

Nija

<Silver Donator>
what? these things are iphone only? heh thanks tho
It's a physical device that hooks up to whatever type of glory hole your phone has. Lightning connector version is what I have.

It's not as good as the $10k ones, obviously.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Here's my whole house setup. Dual water heaters, recirc, softening, 2x filtering, can be bypassed in two places. I think everything but whole house RO at this point. You can see where the main comes in at the bottom right - real easy access, no wall guessing.

signal-2021-10-22-080432_001.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's a physical device that hooks up to whatever type of glory hole your phone has. Lightning connector version is what I have.

It's not as good as the $10k ones, obviously.
thanks but i probably can't even use that anyway, i used one a while ago and w/ my colorblindness its all just one blob

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
thanks but i probably can't even use that anyway, i used one a while ago and w/ my colorblindness its all just one blob
You can change them to multiple color settings that show the same thing. I think there’s even a color blind specific one. There’s also ranges you set it at, you probably had it set wrong. These cameras are not just point and shoot like most people think. The temp colors are relative to each other and you need to know things like reflectivity, absorption, etc. you have to use them in conjunction with the software to get real readings.

If you’re just doing things like looking for a cold water line in a wall you don’t really need to know all that stuff, just adjusting the temperature range is probably enough.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I've got a while house filter as well, no softener.

Might go with an under the sink RO one, but not sure that's going to actually help with the phthalates etc.

Really annoyed to have pex instead of copper at this point.

But that's a different project

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Here's my whole house setup. Dual water heaters, recirc, softening, 2x filtering, can be bypassed in two places. I think everything but whole house RO at this point. You can see where the main comes in at the bottom right - real easy access, no wall guessing.

View attachment 378355
Holy shit, what a dogshit installation. That’s some of the ugliest work I’ve ever seen.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Holy shit, what a dogshit installation. That’s some of the ugliest work I’ve ever seen.
Uber: Patron of the plumbing arts. Appreciator of beautiful copper pipes. They are so parallel or orthogonal. You just want to stand in the mechanical closet and contemplate them. I know I lie awake nights thinking about how not all of my water is flowing in perfectly straight lines.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Agree. The centerpiece of the house should be pristine and pleasing to the eye. House guests must be revolted the moment they tour the utility closet.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It's different when you're a professional.

First thing I noticed was the unprotected fucking romex just hanging out of a single gang box with just a mud ring. Hell, I'm not even sure there's a box there. It might just be a mud ring screwed to the side of a stud or something.

It honest to God looks like a temp install of some kind.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is the line on the screw on the outlet cover plate supposed to be vertical or horizontal?

• 1Seriously?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
There is no one more lazy while also being a prima dona than fucking electricians, this is exactly why the drywallers run their bazooka over your boxes and fill them with mud.

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There is no one more lazy while also being a prima dona than fucking electricians, this is exactly why the drywallers run their bazooka over your boxes and fill them with mud.
When we had our basement finished I saw this. The preppers for the electrician said they had to have everything perfect or the electrician would whine about it. The drywallers didn’t interact with the electrician at all though. They were more about just going as fast as possible to get it done in one day. We had to paint on the floor so they’d look up and not drywall over a hole or gang box. We lost power 2/3 of the day in and they just wanted to keep going to be done in one day. They were using cell phone lights, so I took some battery lights and my Fenix flashlight down there. They were the only crew that brought a microwave so they didn’t need to leave for lunch. Fast as hell.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i put off check the expansion tank when i bought the house, 1 month later it bites me in the ass, i come down to the garage and the water heater side is all wet. i thought a pipe burst, but looking at the water stains the pressure relief kicked on cuz the expansion tank fail (when i went to check it, it spurted out water, so the bladder was broken)

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Look at that disgustingly sloppy duct work just sitting on the piping like that. You should hang yourself from one of those pipes that were lazily attached to the rafters.
That is an... exhaust fan? Which leads to outside the house. The fan doesn't work and I should replace it because it gets really hot in that room. Fine in the winter, not so much in the summer as it pretty much heats my entire basement. But next year I can just turn the boiler off in the summer so it doesn't kick on every hour or so to maintain the temperature and the fan becomes moot.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
When that thing goes, 3 things. 1 get the gas pipe off the ground so that the moisture in the concrete and in basements in general don’t rot the pipe. 2 same deal for the tees on the left side that they used as leg supports for those risers, just use a proper hanger and get the steel off the ground. 3 replace the single pump with a bunch of zone valves. Always use multiple pumps and check valves. That way if a pump fails you don’t lose the whole house. A little more in up front cost but it’ll save you a serious headache in the future.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
I guess your boiler looking steampunk shouldnt be a surprise.
My old house had an absolute freak of a furnace install. I had it replaced to sell the house, otherwise I would have kept it. The guy who led the team to replace it took one look at it, said Mein Gott and gasped. Also, it was absolutely massive.