Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm getting my wife one for Christmas. She's either going to think it's great or I'll be murdered in my sleep. Wish me luck, gents!
Buy her a mop and apron too. Might as well go all on if it’s a love it / murder situation.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Thing is $600. I think that’s more expensive than my real oven was.
I have a Wolf convection thing that was right around $500. Totally worth it if you cook about that much often. Anova's thing is 15% off right now, $510, but yeah... Expensive.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Does anybody have leafguard gutters or something similar and like them? Our new house is surrounded by oak trees and I'm already sick of cleaning gutters and half the leaves haven't even fallen.
I know a leaf blower was mentioned but do you have a pressure washer? Use an attachment like this. Depending how high your roof is at least you don't have to worry about climbing on the roof/ladder. Downside seems like it would be messy. AgiiMan Gutter Cleaning Tool Pressure Washer - Extension Wands, Roof Cleaner Lance Nozzle - 4000 psi 5 Tips, Window Washing Accessories, Power Washer
speaking of gutters, since i just did a powerwash clean, i have this on 3 out of 4 gutters
Image-from-Modern-Clean-Not-roof-Refresh.jpg

i'm assuming theyre clogged, is the only way to clean it and "eject" it out is to take it apart and stick a hose down it?
Hire this guy. I fell down this YouTube hole one day and watched a bunch of his videos.

Edit: bah, here's a video thats not age restricted.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Tension Spring snapped on two car garage door - I assume this is something to call professionals for? Anyone here replaced these before?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Tension Spring snapped on two car garage door - I assume this is something to call professionals for? Anyone here replaced these before?
Yes call a professional. Those things have to be tensioned like a mother fucker. Not sure which design you have but I’m guessing this is something you could do some serious damage or injury to yourself if done incorrectly. I’m pretty handy and a cheap ass but that’s not something I’d mess with.

If you’re feeling brave, YouTube it and have at it!

Last edited:
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have a Wolf convection thing that was right around $500. Totally worth it if you cook about that much often. Anova's thing is 15% off right now, $510, but yeah... Expensive.

That thing looks like a knock-off of the June oven which is the original outrageously priced toaster oven at $999.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well its also a combi oven so bakers love it to use steam to cook instead of spritzing the breads, also this allows bagless sousivde by just circulating steam

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Tldr: making skynet on my property from scratch.

Looking for good ideas on mounting solar panels to a vertical 4x6. This is to power one of my surveillance nodes. Also need to mount two of these sirens.

Open to using metal poles but not sure where to find them. Ideally the solar panel attachment would be adjustable. Just using a renology 10watt panel.

F35E2961-C95F-48FC-BDA1-AD77E91309D6.jpeg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Agreed with Hateyou. I replaced the tension springs on my two car garage door and I will never, ever do that again. Call someone and let them risk their own arm and life.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't have any experience personally but I know people who work as carpenters who won't touch those springs.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
On another note, was hooking up my Sensi Touch Thermostat today and the existing Thermostat had no C-wire connected. After pulling it off it was there just not terminated, so no big deal. Put the Sensi on, stripped the C-wire and connected it up. Checked and I have 26V going across all terminals, RH > W, Y, G, C. Sensi won't turn on so I'm confused. Open the furnace upstairs and the far end of the C-wire isn't terminated at the transformer. So connected it up (the white was already running to C from the outside compressor fan). Now I have 0V going to the thermostat. Assuming something blew somewhere but this is my second unit which doesn't have a breaker so am not quite sure where to go.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Has anyone else ever heard one of those garage door springs snap? It’s hard to explain the sound but you never forget it. I’ll change springs on struts, self compressing those with proper tools but the garage door springs are a huge nope.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
On another note, was hooking up my Sensi Touch Thermostat today and the existing Thermostat had no C-wire connected. After pulling it off it was there just not terminated, so no big deal. Put the Sensi on, stripped the C-wire and connected it up. Checked and I have 26V going across all terminals, RH > W, Y, G, C. Sensi won't turn on so I'm confused. Open the furnace upstairs and the far end of the C-wire isn't terminated at the transformer. So connected it up (the white was already running to C from the outside compressor fan). Now I have 0V going to the thermostat. Assuming something blew somewhere but this is my second unit which doesn't have a breaker so am not quite sure where to go.

Updating my blog here... Got it worked out, honestly not 100% sure what was going on. It is possible that the first go my common wasn't completely connected at the furnace. Because when I took it apart and put it back together everything was working fine. This is after spending about 3 hours turning my house upside down for 1 of 2 multimeters that I own. Of course they were both in the same toolbox in a corner of an upper shelf in the woodshop. About the least useful place for them.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Godfather got a finger ripped off a few years ago from one of those tension springs. Call someone bonded.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
best how to video i found, that untensioning part looks scary as fuck and everything is really close to your face

Fucker

Log Wizard
Interior repaint coming along nicely. Painter does excellent work at a really fair price. It has completely transformed the feel of the house. I also ripped all the shit out of the garage and had that painted. I threw away all the door knobs in the house and got decent levers and new hardware for the front door.

New carpet and counter tops next. Random stuff like new curtains my GF will pick out. Going to have the windows cleaned....they've never been cleaned on the outside. Here in a month, going to hire a guy to rip out ALL the telecom gear/wires and put new stuff in. Before spring, I'm going to have the HVAC modernized which I think means ripping out the old stuff and putting new stuff in.

My biggest issue with the house is that every prior owner has completely half assed everything and it is taking me good chunks of time fixing it....but I knew it would be a good winter project, and I'll have a nice house top to bottom when I am done.

The best part? Home prices are rising steadily, and I am already at the break even point for paint/carpet/HVAC. It for sure will even off from here, but it is a good deal.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
500 for both tension springs replaced… was pretty gnarly glad I called a brotha

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I do my own tension springs, but I sweat like a banshee the whole time. Next time I need it done I will probably call someone. Not worth the potential injury.

• 1Pants on Fire!