Home Improvement

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
newish ge dishwasher, all lights blink like crazy, turns out it's common for door latch to fail so dishwasher thinks door isn't closed, $25 part.
if that wasn't gonna fix it, then i'd have to replace the main controlboard 125$ part, also common failure.
GE is usually pretty good, I thought. I know for a fact that Samsung and LG appliances are fucking garbage, though. Feels like we're constantly needing owner approvals to replace those brands in rental houses.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LG fridge here. Paid like $2K and it lasted less than a year. Bad compressor. They wanted something like $600 to fix it. The part was free but the labor sure wasnt. Maybe a little clause in their warranty? Who the fuk knows.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
GE is usually pretty good, I thought. I know for a fact that Samsung and LG appliances are fucking garbage, though. Feels like we're constantly needing owner approvals to replace those brands in rental houses.
thats just what i got from watching the repair techs make youtube and show the common repair, they all change the door latch first, if it still blinky lights then they know the mainboard is fucked and pull out the $125board repair.

i was even browsing new dishwashers just incase the $125board was needed but the dish washer would still be fucked, i'd guess i get a bosh, $1200bucks for a new dishwasher, yea i'd get the nazi brand always seems to get highest marks

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Repairing my washer, dryer, refrigerator, and umm oh installing new dishwasher. I really found a lot of fun doing it myself. It isn’t for everyone but the idea of paying someone $120/hr to do something + $80 service call out or whatever. You can find anything on YouTube.

Of course you do it that 1 time and next time you’re like “ah $299 is fine, I know I COULD do it, but yeah I’ve got steaks to grill…”

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm getting a fence installed, as I got a new dog. I want an area where I can add a doggy door to the back and he can roam without concern. He does great so far, staying on our land, but I wouldn't leave him outside unattended for some time yet. Just throwing out some costs for people to make fun or me or use for your own haggling. It would be drastically cheaper without the 3 gates I want, but I'm a lazy bastard and want a gate on every side.

View attachment 431182

Horse panel fence, 4' tall, something like this, but with 4"x4" thicker gauge wire.

View attachment 431183

Nice looking fence for sure. Price is what I would expect.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

so over on reddit, bunch of bitching about this house's price
really don't care, but anyone know what this is?

1662173618358.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We put a GE range, microwave, and dishwasher and a whirlpool refrigerator in my mom's kitchen remodel in 2015. By 2018 the dishwasher was the only one that wasn't in the landfill or had multiple repairs. Everything is shit these days.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am about to get my garage floor of my new place covered with epoxy. What is y'alls opinion on drywalling your garage?

I have a very large garage now and I really dont want it to just be some place junk accumulates.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I am about to get my garage floor of my new place covered with epoxy. What is y'alls opinion on drywalling your garage?

I have a very large garage now and I really dont want it to just be some place junk accumulates.
is it insulated w/ no drywall?

Goatface

for a basic wall, i like the top half drywall, horizon rail and bottom half plywood/osb. think drywall is just bad in a garage, just get dinged up to easily.
for dream garage, would have bottom half vertical wood and top half some type of slatwall system with couple areas top to bottom slatwalls.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Insulated and drywalled is typical of colder states. New builds only insulate and drywall the walls that are shared with living space though, so you’ll usually see half drywalled, half just studs. People usually finish that part themselves for aesthetics and noise and to keep it a little warmer in winter.

Me personally, I insulated and covered with pegboard. My garage is half pegboard, half drywall. It’s kind of messy at the moment but this pic gives you an idea of why I do mine like that. I get a lot of comments about how nice it is. I am a cheapskate so this is the most basic cheap pegboard. I’ve seems some really nice pegboard, rail, cabinet systems that look a lot better than mine but they’re expensive.

1D5BBB2F-B59E-4A05-B895-13BA956A836A.jpeg

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, typical of most garages no?
i mean i guess it depends? all the homes i saw in ks/tn had drywall, but then my neighbor in ks had studs only, but hes also lived there since house was built, so who knows if he went ham one day

but yea like Goatface Goatface said, i just recently patched up and painted my garage walls and already my clutzy self dinged up a few areas already, hasn't even been a week.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
When we built our house, just the shared walls were drywalled. I ended up insulating and drywalling the rest of it just to make it look nicer, no real reason to do it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'd certainly cover it with something. I drywalled my own garage, but the top half drywall, bottom half plywood is a great idea. Super easy to hang things, doesn't ding up like drywall. If you paint it all the same colour it would look fine.

Exposed insulation is just not a good idea.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Garage is already drywalled, but I'd love to do some of that pegboard. We have a garage that's "2 car" but, it's reaaally snug, so I need as much space saving as possible. Are there workbenches that you can fold up to store them when you don't need them? Would love to do some model painting out in the garage one day, but don't currently have the space to setup a nice table, etc. for a workspace.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont know why you guys are beating the shit out of your garage walls unless theyre just tight as fuck with your car in there. If you're going to use your garage as a storage area - Insulate the walls and then cover them with FRP or PVC Slatwalls so you can hang basically anything on them, and wipe off dirt/scrapes easily. Then you can do the hanging shelves from the ceiling for the big bins of stuff etc. and folding wall tables for the occasional use.