Home Improvement

Goatface

Garage is already drywalled, but I'd love to do some of that pegboard. We have a garage that's "2 car" but, it's reaaally snug, so I need as much space saving as possible. Are there workbenches that you can fold up to store them when you don't need them? Would love to do some model painting out in the garage one day, but don't currently have the space to setup a nice table, etc. for a workspace.

there are lots of designs like this

1662314363769.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Garage is already drywalled, but I'd love to do some of that pegboard. We have a garage that's "2 car" but, it's reaaally snug, so I need as much space saving as possible. Are there workbenches that you can fold up to store them when you don't need them? Would love to do some model painting out in the garage one day, but don't currently have the space to setup a nice table, etc. for a workspace.

As Goatface Goatface mentioned there are a lot of styles for that. Rockler had a sale in one of their Labor Day emails for their Folding Workshop Brackets (Rockler Rock-Steady Folding Worktop Wall Brackets). I'd look at something like that then compare prices. You can search Pintrest or Google for DIY Murphy workbenches. That would pull up plenty of results and ideas.

My mom's husband emailed me last week about this sort of topic and said he did this from Amazon for $180, hinges and table top. They're rated for 500 lbs and he said it held most of that composite decking stacked on the floor. Although he didn't trust it to test 500 lbs. Make sure if you're looking at those hinges they say if it rated for that amount per hinge or for two. I've seen it both ways on hinges and casters for carts.

1662320523605.png
1662320787047.png

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My current gate situation I need to fix. I knew when we bought the house it would have to be replaced so glad we got a year and a bit out of it. Not scared about doing it myself but have never done a gate. There's about an 11" drop from post to post. I guess the point was to maintain the fence line around the corner but it is somewhat irritating that it slopes down like that.

I may be able to keep the 4x4 of the gate since that'd be some of the most expensive parts. If nothing else I'd try to rebuild it with the fence frame level then just figure out a slope of the pickets. They tried to angle the frame. I guess both ways works? It just seems easier to cut the frame at 90s. But what do I know about gates. My red would keep the two doors, I just didn't break the red line, sorry. And the additional brace pieces.

1662321151075.png
1662321199785.png

1662321501917.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
toh has an episode where tommy makes one and some minor organizational stuff

sounds like you could get a bit of stuff done w/ 2 sawhorses and a plywood board
8f81c60b7c76485b834fb74095122527.png

i mean i wouldn't get these amazon ones, it's just a nice picture, i'd at least get something more ridgid and metal.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
does anyone have a good way to organize and store open bags of shit? like a big bag of grass seed and half a bag of concrete, and another bag of sad and half open bag of mortar, etc?

or just lay it on the side of the garage

Goatface

does anyone have a good way to organize and store open bags of shit? like a big bag of grass seed and half a bag of concrete, and another bag of sad and half open bag of mortar, etc?

seeds are sensitive, for wintering need to be cool but above freezing and away from moisture. cheap 1-2 gallon ziploc style bags in a bucket with a lid so they can be stacked. i gave up on keeping left over concrete

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
5 gallon buckets with lids are relatively inexpensive.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>

Seed you can store in 5gal buckets or large feed containers. Do you have a Tractor Supply in your area? If not just get 5gal buckets for loose stuff like seed & leftover fertilizer.

Premix concrete (especially Qwikrete), when open, will harden in apx 1 year (or less) from the humidity in the air unless you live in a desert climate. Just pitch partial bags, IMO. It's not worth trying to keep half a bag of cement dry for 5 years in case you might need to set a post in the future.

• 1Truth!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man i actually have a quite a few buckets too, i use em for tool/project organization
68cf9b799c2a49fcf4b9544e7b2b2f3a.png

guess i'll just be buying more buckets and lids

i do have 1 5gallon buck i dump all my pellets into and keep outside w/ lid, it's entirely dry all the time.
Seed you can store in 5gal buckets or large feed containers. Do you have a Tractor Supply in your area? If not just get 5gal buckets for loose stuff like seed & leftover fertilizer.
i do, is this to get a large feed container?

whoo

<Silver Donator>
man i actually have a quite a few buckets too, i use em for tool/project organization

i do have 1 5gallon buck i dump all my pellets into and keep outside w/ lid, it's entirely dry all the time.

Yeah, they have various dry storage options. It's a common need if you have animals so the variety is good. I got some screw-on 5gal bucket lids that have wateroroof gasket integrated. I keep corn for the deer in buckets and it keeps a long time. Also bird seed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, they have various dry storage options. It's a common need if you have animals so the variety is good. I got some screw-on 5gal bucket lids that have wateroroof gasket integrated. I keep corn for the deer in buckets and it keeps a long time. Also bird seed.
i might actualaly just use a huge industrial storage bin then for rando concrete/aggregate and use the bucket for grass seed since that for now is my only thing i have a "ton" of

oh i should probably use it for milorganite too, i actually tape that shit closed when i'm done cuz of the stench.

do ppl repurpose paintcans? (buckets)

i'm talking the 5gallon paint cans, i used a 5gallon can for my garage (remodelled) closet and it's down to like 2gallons left and i still have to spray the ceiling, but imagine it being gone soon.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
i might actualaly just use a huge industrial storage bin then for rando concrete/aggregate and use the bucket for grass seed since that for now is my only thing i have a "ton" of

oh i should probably use it for milorganite too, i actually tape that shit closed when i'm done cuz of the stench.

do ppl repurpose paintcans? (buckets)

i'm talking the 5gallon paint cans, i used a 5gallon can for my garage (remodelled) closet and it's down to like 2gallons left and i still have to spray the ceiling, but imagine it being gone soon.
Ive never tried repurposing a 5gal paint bucket. I think the lids are different, but I'm not positive about that. I wouldn't put seed or pet food in it, but it sounds fine for rock, etc.

Do you do lots of small cement/rock projects? Curious why you want to store such small quantities.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ive never tried repurposing a 5gal paint bucket. I think the lids are different, but I'm not positive about that. I wouldn't put seed or pet food in it, but it sounds fine for rock, etc.

Do you do lots of small cement/rock projects? Curious why you want to store such small quantities.
naw i just have open bags of mix/aggragate/sand/drywall compound etc... for some reason when i moved, the movers decided to pack away so it came w/

just trying to find ways to organize shit so it's not just sitting on the floor being an eyesore

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I use old paint buckets for everything. Bit of work to clean them out but once they're clean they're good as new.

• 2Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

I used to do this a lot.

They're relatively cheap.

Every few years I'd have to empty out all of the spare hardware that had collected in bottom of the bucket. I had one employer that bitched about people who used buckets because we were 'stealing' stuff from him. I was like "first off, most of that is like 5yrs old or more, and 2nd, maybe you should be more worried about your guys who walk away with hundreds or thousands of dollars of copper cable'

FFS, having someone bitch and moan about conduit fittings and cable connectors...

I've been wanting to buy my 'last' tool pouch and make it a custom leather bag that I could pass on when I die. Sadly the website I'd been looking at is now defunct; no idea if the guy still does them.

1662503925319.png

1662504001499.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

1662504510541.png

if your bucket organizer has skinny pockets on the inside. bags like this are pretty good to have.
i don't have this one, mine is smaller and brown canvas, this one looks like would be tight fit even with just files and stuff on the inside. the great thing about them, can load them up with screws etc and close it up with the draw string.

btw, most everyone talks about getting buckets, especially 2-3 gallon ones, from places like firehouse subs etc, but if you get a pickle bucket, it is going to smell like pickles. i am pretty sure forever.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I used to do this a lot.

They're relatively cheap.

Every few years I'd have to empty out all of the spare hardware that had collected in bottom of the bucket. I had one employer that bitched about people who used buckets because we were 'stealing' stuff from him. I was like "first off, most of that is like 5yrs old or more, and 2nd, maybe you should be more worried about your guys who walk away with hundreds or thousands of dollars of copper cable'

FFS, having someone bitch and moan about conduit fittings and cable connectors...

I've been wanting to buy my 'last' tool pouch and make it a custom leather bag that I could pass on when I die. Sadly the website I'd been looking at is now defunct; no idea if the guy still does them.

View attachment 432024

View attachment 432025
i have my buckets separated by tasks, hvac/electrical/plumbing etc, not that i do that many diy jobs, but when i have to i can just grab the bucket for the purpose, for a while i was trying to color coordinate the toolbags and bucket colors... which is silly if you think about it.

also if you want to be this crazy, know that on july 4th, walmart will have red/white/blue 5gallon buckets! lulz

Erronius Erronius , i have 2 ecx bits in my electrical bucket!

• 1WTF

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
My current gate situation I need to fix. I knew when we bought the house it would have to be replaced so glad we got a year and a bit out of it. Not scared about doing it myself but have never done a gate. There's about an 11" drop from post to post. I guess the point was to maintain the fence line around the corner but it is somewhat irritating that it slopes down like that.

I may be able to keep the 4x4 of the gate since that'd be some of the most expensive parts. If nothing else I'd try to rebuild it with the fence frame level then just figure out a slope of the pickets. They tried to angle the frame. I guess both ways works? It just seems easier to cut the frame at 90s. But what do I know about gates. My red would keep the two doors, I just didn't break the red line, sorry. And the additional brace pieces.

View attachment 431606View attachment 431607

View attachment 431608
That is a super heavy gate, surprised it isn't sagging more, if there is any play in the posts I would replace them(2 feet in the ground). You have seen my wood working post but 100% go cedar, keep it light and won't need all that extra bracing.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That is a super heavy gate, surprised it isn't sagging more, if there is any play in the posts I would replace them(2 feet in the ground). You have seen my wood working post but 100% go cedar, keep it light and won't need all that extra bracing.

It is sagging terribly. Basically has no chance of closing unless it is manhandled, which is how some of those pickets are already broken and pulled off.

The posts themselves are 6x6s and seem very sturdy and supported but I need want to double check them before hanging anything else. All the sag and falling apart seems to be isolated to the gate itself. Cedar pickets are easy to pick up from HD / Lowes in my area but I need to find another place for cedar 2x4s. Probably won't get to it this weekend though, targeting next weekend. Want to get the shop cleaned out still before starting another project.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Whoever built that didn't know what they were doing. You need a square frame with a single brace running back to the bottom of the post. Also putting the 2x4s on the narrow edge is wrong. Wider boards with longer miters should sag less as long as they're tight. I would almost think 1x6 boards might be better than 2x4 if you put a shit load of screws in them. Those metal braces on the corners wouldn't hurt either.

DIY-wooden-gate-653x1024.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users