Home Improvement

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Those metal braces on the corners wouldn't hurt either.
I've had pretty good luck with turnbuckles on gates. Unless it's metal, the gate will eventually loosen and sag and being able to adjust dynamically is nice.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well, had some wind driven rain seep into the basement this summer, already got the insurance payout for it. Time to figure out where it's coming from before I bother fixing any drywall.

I figured the likely culprit was the deck given the location of the water. Under my patio door is some pretty rotted cedar that just crumbled outta there, so I figured I'd take the deck boards off near the house and see what I can see.

First of all, fuck aluminum siding.
Second of all, fuck square drive deck screws.
Third of all, fuck all of that even more because I think I found the issue finally. Old metal flashing right above the ledger is rusty and completely missing about 6 inches of it. Should be an easy fix, just gotta take off way more fucking siding so I can get some new flashing up under the insulation.

Here I am laying in bed thinking "sure hope it doesn't rain."

What the fuck am I worried about? Shit already leaks. It ain't gonna all of a sudden be worse.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
This guy posts videos of his reactions to the idiotic 'tool hacks' on Youtube

Made me think of Lanx Lanx for some reason LOL

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm needing to get a small garden shed for my new house. Needs to be able to store a walk behind lawnmower, some various garden shit and trash cans. Any recommendations on that? Also, when it comes to installation, what level of effort is needed for a foundation for it?

Goatface

I'm needing to get a small garden shed for my new house. Needs to be able to store a walk behind lawnmower, some various garden shit and trash cans. Any recommendations on that? Also, when it comes to installation, what level of effort is needed for a foundation for it?
get something bigger than you need, never heard someone say they wish they had a smaller shed
foundations depends on where you live and codes. some places require a slab, other concrete piles, while some don't care and it can just sit it on cinder or deck blocks. overall on effort level, about a 8 of 10.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Costco had some very cost competitive sheds out on display last weekend that would hold that. I almost bought one just to have until picking a place to sit it.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I've bought 2 Lifetime brand sheds from Lowes over the years. They seem to last. They're plastic and never need painting. The only downside is that shelving is more difficult than with a wooden shed.

I made a simple platform out of wood. It rotted out after about 4 years. I built another and it won't last much longer. When this one goes, I'll pour a small slab. Remember that the shed entry needs to be low enough to get your mower in without picking it up so don't use piers unless you bury most of them.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Budget, bro. We need a budget.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Go big or go home...

GetStoredImage

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

if you build your shed to cover the entire property don't have to worry about mowing

• 2Like
  • 2Galaxy Brain
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Daidraco

You have different sizes you can go with. Something like this is a bit more expensive, but not astronomical and also raises your property value. Concrete slab, steel trusses, attach some wood, do siding, a garage door, and electrical. If you're doing the work yourself with a helper or two from the back of Lowes - you're looking at probably less than 8k depending on size.
s-l1600.jpg

Ive also seen where people poor a slab, attach a carport and put siding, door and electrical nn it. ~3500
eagle-barn.jpg

Then you have this from Lowes, which is basically just throw your tools in and forget about it. ~2000
04216208.jpg

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

I got this one for $400, took an hour to set up. Would fit 2 trash cans and a mower.

I did a lot of research and shopping around on sheds earlier this year, from what I saw they pretty much all required some sort of concrete slab to sit on.

1662915907478.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
IMG_20220911_114836753_HDR.jpg

Can't seem to figure out where this water is coming in.

Oh, thanks Dish Network guy. Just burrow the fucking cable in the insulation, and then throw a glob of caulk somewhere near it.

Daidraco

View attachment 432934

Oh, thanks Dish Network guy. Just burrow the fucking cable in the insulation, and then throw a glob of caulk somewhere near it.
You need to take care of that deck or you're going to end up replacing that, too.

Your gutter guard looks full in that corner. If water is just running straight over top of the gutter and your house doesnt have a good elevation slope AWAY from the house, then that could cause the leak. Clean up your gutters, cut that weed trash around the base of the house and report back after it rains. The weed trash around the base being gone should let you see if water is standing shortly after a rain. I would even recommend going so far as to taking the guards off, making sure the gutters are empty. Checking the downspouts to make sure they're empty. Then checking to see if the drainage from the gutters is properly routed. You're looking for something like flashing, and although that may leak at times - rain isnt hitting the side of your house like that. ie. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
You need to take care of that deck or you're going to end up replacing that, too.

Your gutter guard looks full in that corner. If water is just running straight over top of the gutter and your house doesnt have a good elevation slope AWAY from the house, then that could cause the leak. Clean up your gutters, cut that weed trash around the base of the house and report back after it rains. The weed trash around the base being gone should let you see if water is standing shortly after a rain. I would even recommend going so far as to taking the guards off, making sure the gutters are empty. Checking the downspouts to make sure they're empty. Then checking to see if the drainage from the gutters is properly routed. You're looking for something like flashing, and although that may leak at times - rain isnt hitting the side of your house like that. ie. You're barking up the wrong tree.
The gutters aren't the problem. Deck flashing over the ledger has rusted and rotted away. The deck is near the end of it's lifespan, been there close to 30 years anyway, so I'm not looking for anything substantial when it's just going to get replaced in the near future anyway.

Once or twice a year, I get wind driven rain coming in the basement ceiling. I suspected the deck was the issue, looks like it was probably correct. I'm missing about a 4 inch piece right underneath that cabl installation...4 inches of rust, and then 4 inches of nothing on the deck flashing. You can see it in that pic...right above the corner of the deck, totally gone.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
View attachment 432934

It's coming in behind the deck support piece that is bolted to your house. You have to put flashing over that to ensure the water sheds away from the house. As it is, it's likely getting behind that board, and the wall is likely saturated, thus it began dripping into our basement. Flash it correctly, and the wall will dry out.

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
It's coming in behind the deck support piece that is bolted to your house. You have to put flashing over that to ensure the water sheds away from the house. As it is, it's likely getting behind that board, and the wall is likely saturated, thus it began dripping into our basement. Flash it correctly, and the wall will dry out.

Yep, so I pulled all that off, pulled off that rotted board and the insulation, gotta flash on top of the ledger and put everything back and we should be good.

I hope!

I gotta figure out what the fuck this rotten sheathing is. It is not OSB or plywood, some kinda bullshit fiberboard crap. I dunno if I should keep it the same or update the materials with modern shit for this patch.

IMG_20220911_121137113.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yep, so I pulled all that off, pulled off that rotted board and the insulation, gotta flash on top of the ledger and put everything back and we should be good.

I hope!

I gotta figure out what the fuck this rotten sheathing is. It is not OSB or plywood, some kinda bullshit fiberboard crap. I dunno if I should keep it the same or update the materials with modern shit for this patch.

View attachment 432944

Update that shit.

Daidraco

I hope!

View attachment 432944
Ok, I didnt expect you to have insulation board. You basically have big ass sponges on the outside of your house (in my mind). Best thing to do is put the newest anti-mold shit on it.