Home Improvement

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, there's 2 panels there, and I obviously am not redoing the entire south side of my fucking house. It's got that rotten fiboard panel that wicked up a bunch of water, and then that foam insulation on top of it, then it should be a very straightforward process. Pop that shit off, put the sheath back on, flash the deck ledger, put the foam back on, flash that shit, put the siding back on, and hopefully no more drips when it rains like high hell.

I took pics of everything along the way. The window was leaking at one point, it looks like that got fixed when the window got replaced. Now the wind driven rain is definitely coming in that corner where the flashing literally disintegrated. So, no big deal, get to fix a few things along the way, replace some insulation that got wet since I'm in there anyway.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Ok, I didnt expect you to have insulation board. You basically have big ass sponges on the outside of your house (in my mind). Best thing to do is put the newest anti-mold shit on it.

That's okay bro, no hard feelings. I didn't explain the problem super clear. I only have until about 730 these days to work in daylight, so trying to get as much of this done as I can.

The problem is literally contained to that corner of the deck, and then water (I'm guessing) is running along the deck ledger, getting inside the house when it rains super hard, and then dripping down off the basement ceiling.

I don't know what I'm shopping for, so I will take measurements of this crap after I finish ripping off this bullshit and cleaning it up before I go buy it all tomorrow. Got a few day stretch of dry weather where I should be okay to get this done.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, there's 2 panels there, and I obviously am not redoing the entire south side of my fucking house. It's got that rotten fiboard panel that wicked up a bunch of water, and then that foam insulation on top of it, then it should be a very straightforward process. Pop that shit off, put the sheath back on, flash the deck ledger, put the foam back on, flash that shit, put the siding back on, and hopefully no more drips when it rains like high hell.

I took pics of everything along the way. The window was leaking at one point, it looks like that got fixed when the window got replaced. Now the wind driven rain is definitely coming in that corner where the flashing literally disintegrated. So, no big deal, get to fix a few things along the way, replace some insulation that got wet since I'm in there anyway.

Yeah, you don't need to do the entire wall of course. Address the area where there are problems and Bob's your uncle. I recommended the wallboard above because it comes with house wrap already attached, and it's becoming an industry standard. Get some tape so you can seal the joints between pieces.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Did you put in the concrete slab yourself?

I put it under my patio where I already had a concrete slab poured so I didnt have to make a new one. To the left you can see the floor frame and remnants of a Chinese aluminum shed which I bought originally and then ended up giving awey

1662931044342.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, you don't need to do the entire wall of course. Address the area where there are problems and Bob's your uncle. I recommended the wallboard above because it comes with house wrap already attached, and it's becoming an industry standard. Get some tape so you can seal the joints between pieces.

Ah it doesn't matter.

Window sill is rotted. There's the culprit. I had them put in in 2010 and they never really "worked" right (wouldn't close).

Company that put them in is still in business, shockingly, but I highly fucking doubt they're gonna do anything to own up to that shit.

I don't have the slightest fucking idea how to install/fix a fucking window, that's a bit above paygrade in the construction world. The whole fucking thing would need to come out and half that goddamned wall rebuilt now, and then go back in correctly. I guess this one's outta my league.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Why is the window sill rotted/rotting, though?

Because it wasn't installed right, I'm guessing.

And since window installation is above my skill level, I'm sure someone's gonna look in there and find where it was flashed incorrectly. But I most definitely am not equipped to pull that thing out, replace what needs to be replaced and put it back in correctly.

Homeowners insurance should pick up the check since the initial diagnosis of wind driven rain falls under storm damage. It'll be the same here.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I realistically have two places to put the shed. Araysar Araysar I do like your pick though TY! These rocks exist on one side of every house in this area due to some weird rules about "drainage" however they are just rocks with something beneath them to prevent plants from growing up through it. There is no actual drainage mechanism in it. Just river rocks. They do eat up like 1/5 of the yard so I want to make use of the space at some point. I am hearing that in a few years you can tear it up and nobody will care so we'll see.

As far as the shed goes I'll need to get something stable to put it on I think.

I also got the garage floor epoxied.

1663070495727.png

1663070600087.png

1663070648792.png

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Tell me about your gardens.

1663071344552.png

So I realistically have two places to put the shed. Araysar Araysar I do like your pick though TY! These rocks exist on one side of every house in this area due to some weird rules about "drainage" however they are just rocks with something beneath them to prevent plants from growing up through it. There is no actual drainage mechanism in it. Just river rocks. They do eat up like 1/5 of the yard so I want to make use of the space at some point. I am hearing that in a few years you can tear it up and nobody will care so we'll see.

As far as the shed goes I'll need to get something stable to put it on I think.

I also got the garage floor epoxied.

View attachment 433131
View attachment 433132

View attachment 433133

Im no expert by any means, but i think i would try to clear out half a dozen holes in that river rock, plop some deck blocks in them and then nail together a lumber frame to go on them and then put the shed on top. then lash the shed to the fence and the deck blocks for stability during storms. youd still have the gap below for "drainage" in case your HOA gives you shit, and youd also make use of that space. since the shed isnt large, you probably wouldnt need to roll anything in or out of it, you can just lift your push mower into it

1663071187853.png

p.s. that garage floor looks awesome, i am mildly jelly.

p.p.s. congrats on finally getting your new house, i know it was a bit of an odyssey

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
p.p.p.s.

i would also like to reiterate that absolutely do not get an aluminum shed, especially a chinese aluminum shed to save a few bucks. flimsy as FUCK and a fucking pain in the ass to put together. the whole thing is held together by 80 half inch screws, its fucking nonsense. lost $300 on that pos.

i think a decent rubberized sams club 6x4 shed (and i did a lot of research and price comparison here) is the best value for the money unless youre looking at walk-in sheds and walk-in sheds are probably too big for your yard

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Epoxy was quite inexpensive all told too. Like $2500. We removed the shitty carpet immediately because we hate carpet.

My todo list:
  1. Shed.
  2. Finish drywall in Garage.
  3. Paint the garage interior.
  4. Prepare garden stuff for growing whatever.
  5. Get cool ass cabinetry and shelving in the Garage (Garage Flooring and Storage Systems | Garage Monkeyz)
  6. Gutters
  7. ????????

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Epoxy was quite inexpensive all told too. Like $2500. We removed the shitty carpet immediately because we hate carpet.

My todo list:
  1. Shed.
  2. Finish drywall in Garage.
  3. Paint the garage interior.
  4. Prepare garden stuff for growing whatever.
  5. Get cool ass cabinetry and shelving in the Garage (Garage Flooring and Storage Systems | Garage Monkeyz)
  6. Gutters
  7. ????????
if you think you'll do more room painting later, i think a paintgun would be a good investment, especially if youre gonna paint the garage.

• 1Like