Home Improvement

Siliconemelons

I have never had any luck with score and snap tools with tile - mannual or levered like the one attached...small big...none work...they just crack chip and break randomly the tile. cheap tile...expensive tile...

so i use a stupid wet saw for it all

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Trick to those is you score real light first pass, then do 1-2 more scores harder, then they break perfect

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Trick to those is you score real light first pass, then do 1-2 more scores harder, then they break perfect
sounded impossible to score using that thing from reviews, as Siliconemelons Siliconemelons has said ppl said, chips/cracks etc. I haven't had a bad one w/ the tile saw, just get really dirty, so i wear an apron.

I know it's kinda weird to level out my porch, and it's at most 1mm raised, but i'd rather it be flat, so i know i didn't tile over a bump, also, isn't trowel size for the size of tile? like the bigger the tile the bigger the trowel?

lurker

Vyemm Raider
If the floor has that many irregularities in it, level it. It’s not that much work to screed some thinset over it with a metal straight edge. Then you can use the proper notched trowel and not have to lift tiles so often to level your work.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
All stair risers have to be the same. It’s safer, easier and usually code. So determine the height and set all of them first. Plumb. Use a level.

Then using the edge of the tile that is the riser as a edge, screed or fill in the platform behind the riser with thinset or dry pack. Use a level.

The next day set the platforms.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I laid the big ones, the 4x8 and 4x4 require more exacting measurements
PHOTO_20180520_152535.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Got a EV (2012 Nissan Leaf) so- I got to think about getting a level 2 charger up and going.

Basically a 220v line, normal dryer plug.

But... I think I am out of space... all I see is a single 15a that has nothing in it...

On my home inspection the fuse box was "old and needs to be replaced... its not unsafe or anything...its just...old"

So, if I call an electrician - even just to put in a breaker and connect the wire- they are going to want to replace the entire damn thing...so what, 1k job?

IMG_20180518_0709523.jpg

IMG_20180518_0709458.jpg

IMG_20180518_0709416.jpg

Vinen

God is dead
Probably more and likely highly regional. Work up in the Boston area is far more expensive then other areas of the country for example.

Put a change order in on my Garage. Going to get it changed to be one large door instead of 2 doors. Should help with the tight driveway situation a little bit.

Siliconemelons

2 doors garage doors .. while convenient - only really make it easier to turn half of it into a room later :) also, unless it is a truly large garage, those 2 doors are really small- I have a decent 2 car garage and it is really just 1 car... with a work bench area and laundry... it it was completely cleared out, maybe two cars...

As for this stupid electric box, I am just going to stick with doing level 1 charging overnight... when I have 1k+ spare to install a stupid level 2 charger I will explore the options.

I need to go around with everything on in the house and flip each breaker, there are some that go nowhere I bet... just need to find two slots to do the 220.

can you combine some? light ones that are low duty standard wall plugs? or will that be a danger / cause them to flip all the time?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
2 doors garage doors .. while convenient - only really make it easier to turn half of it into a room later :) also, unless it is a truly large garage, those 2 doors are really small- I have a decent 2 car garage and it is really just 1 car... with a work bench area and laundry... it it was completely cleared out, maybe two cars...

As for this stupid electric box, I am just going to stick with doing level 1 charging overnight... when I have 1k+ spare to install a stupid level 2 charger I will explore the options.

I need to go around with everything on in the house and flip each breaker, there are some that go nowhere I bet... just need to find two slots to do the 220.

can you combine some? light ones that are low duty standard wall plugs? or will that be a danger / cause them to flip all the time?

An electrician can add a sub box with a few more circuits, depending on what your house is rated for 50 amp?100? 150? This should not cost too much. Shit, with proper reading and youtube, Im betting you could do it yourself.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

An electrician can add a sub box with a few more circuits, depending on what your house is rated for 50 amp?100? 150? This should not cost too much. Shit, with proper reading and youtube, Im betting you could do it yourself.

Ahh yes that is a good idea, just need to find an electrician lol.

I am suppose to be able to get 33 or 30% tax credit for any work to add EV charging to my house- but I hate that tax credit crap because it just makes them charge more. 90% of level 2 EV chargers plug into the same damn plug that your dryer plugs into...

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
When I bought this house last summer we saw there was a bunch of black spots just above the trims in two rooms in the basement. Worst case scenario I figured the basement flooded and I'd find a bunch of mold behind the drywall, have to change the insulation, sand the 2x4's and scrub the bricks. Overall not that expensive but quite a labour intensive job. Factored that in the price of the house and went ahead.

Braced myself for the shitshow last Wednesday and started cutting drywall. Turns out some of the walls had the drywall right down to the slab and it acted as a wick, slowly sucking moisture from the concrete, no flooding signs to be seen. Only the bottom 2 or 3" were spotted, I cut the bottom 12" along a couple walls to be safe, scrubbed the insulation and put back on 11" of drywall. Mud, paint, fucking done. I was expecting to be doing some nightmarish job for the next month or two and turns out after one week all I have left to do is to put down some laminate flooring.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

I doubt that there will be any that go nowhere. You can combine a couple circuits and the worst that would happen is you would blow the breaker sometimes if you choose poorly. It's a cheesy thing to do though.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to replace the existing double breaker (dryer?) with a 60 or 80 amp and then run it out to a small sub panel where there's enough room to put your charger and whatever your existing 240 volt circuit is. You could probably do it yourself as mkopec said. You need to do your homework, but it's not difficult and you can save the electrician money for when you replace the whole panel down the line.

Siliconemelons

I talked with the guy I bought the leaf from, as the leaf is a smaller charger, its amp rating is only 14.x - so technically I could use 2 x 15amps to get the 220, but the likelihood of any small variance popping the 15a, may as well use 20 - his is currently on a dual poll 20A - he is going to have to put in a 60a or something for his Tesla 3, I think its charger is 55 or something amps.

The charger is on / in the car, the level 1, 2 or 3 (DC fast charge) is really just a plug - the car does the charging etc, thats why I can plug into a port that a tesla can and a bmw i car thing can also- because the chargers are in the car.

I will search on adding a sub panel... but if I understand it, it would essentially just take the wires from my - as you suggest - dryer - to then feed the new sub panel, and put the charger and dryer off of it. Being the leaf is realitively small charge 14ish amp - I dont think it would be too much to run the dryer and charge at the same time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I will search on adding a sub panel... but if I understand it, it would essentially just take the wires from my - as you suggest - dryer - to then feed the new sub panel, and put the charger and dryer off of it. Being the leaf is realitively small charge 14ish amp - I dont think it would be too much to run the dryer and charge at the same time.

Yes, that's right. It should be no problem at all. Put a 60 amp in your current box, and a 35 and a 20 in the new box.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
One thing that does matter is how much his entire system is rated for though. Some older houses are only strung up for 50 amp service. Most are around 100 and only the newer ones are 150-200 amp service.

I know for certain that my brother in law shich did work on his 60s era house, adding an addition to both his garage and house, had to get service upped to 100 from 50 because he wanted 220 service in his garage for tools.

Siliconemelons

when making a breakout box... such as... would it matter if when making the breaker box- if I use "one side" feed - like in the picture it is the black, or if I should use one feed from each side? a 60a on the right and a 60a on the left to then feed the l and r of the breaker box?

Also- from the not killing oneself department, the main feed screws - listed as HOT AT ALL TIMES, are what are...well HOT AT ALL TIMES, and if you flip your main breaker, those screws are STILL HOT, its just all the stuff below it that is "off" - you have to kill outside to fully terminate it all.

How can you tell what your house service is? -- edit: the little GE sticker on my main feed thing, I think says 150A... .

Main-subpanel-2aa.jpg