Home Improvement

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
All this testosterone in this thread lately, and I just made an appointment at Home Depot to start talking about a kitchen remodel...

Vinen

God is dead
All this testosterone in this thread lately, and I just made an appointment at Home Depot to start talking about a kitchen remodel...

I'm 4 months into mine.
Fucking inspections.
Holy fuck inspections.

I thought my contractor was lying then I went to the inspection office to chat with them and they confirmed what he said. Slow - as - fuck
Inspections should be done on Tuesday and then the walls go up and so does everything else.

Go some sick ass soapstone countertops.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Permits and inspections are part of why I didn't bother trying to get my masters license and going into work for myself.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wife said she didn't want air freshener in the car and wanted a "neutral" smell, so i bought one of those super ozone machines.

jesus fuck, i opened my car doors and almost vomited with one breath. not a putrid smell, just the ozone does something funny, anyway after blasting the car for 1hr and then airing it out, it does smell like... nothing.

so i'll probably try this in the basement, my sump pump area smells not nasty, just "lingering"

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
1572995551538307021900424935378.jpg

Ripping out carpet. Anyone got any tricks to quickly pull out the 2 million Staples that are holding down the carpet pad?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Nope. You just gotta do them one at a time. Sorry, buddy. It's shitty work, but you know when it's done. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Pay your kid (or newpew) $0.01 for each staple. Go hog wild and use two of them and give a $1 bonus to who gets the most in the shortest time. Works better if kids don't know the value of a penny yet 'ohhh shiney".

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My nephew is unfortunately only 2. I would be happy to pay him but I don't think he would get the job done very quickly.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I did that kind of stuff with my nieces all the time, till my sister found out about it. Pay you a penny to haul this brick from here to there. There's a stack of 1,000 of them now get going.

• 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I had a whole house full of that shit to pull out when I bought my current house. I had 6 friends come over, asked them to spend one hour pulling staples out of the floor, then I'd feed them unbelievably good bbq. You would be amazed how much the seven of us got done in an hour. virtually the whole house. And all it cost me was a brisket and some burgers.

This is something I have wanted to ask folks here - do you have support dudes to help you? I have a pretty big group of guys who swap labour with me frequently. When one of us has a big plumbing job to do, we all show up and get it done in an afternoon. When someone is framing something, we all show up and get it done. This coming weekend I'm helping with a friend's install of under floor radiant heat. I have no question that the next time I have a big job to do I'll have as much help as I need.

Is this common? Or am I a lucky fuck for having handy friends?

Vinen

God is dead
Lucky fuck. The few friends I do have are useless.

Agreed. My friends are more useless than my wife and I when it comes to this type of work. Thats pretty goddam useless.

We just throw money at the problem until it goes away. I'd much prefer your method as it sounds fun.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I had a whole house full of that shit to pull out when I bought my current house. I had 6 friends come over, asked them to spend one hour pulling staples out of the floor, then I'd feed them unbelievably good bbq. You would be amazed how much the seven of us got done in an hour. virtually the whole house. And all it cost me was a brisket and some burgers.

This is something I have wanted to ask folks here - do you have support dudes to help you? I have a pretty big group of guys who swap labour with me frequently. When one of us has a big plumbing job to do, we all show up and get it done in an afternoon. When someone is framing something, we all show up and get it done. This coming weekend I'm helping with a friend's install of under floor radiant heat. I have no question that the next time I have a big job to do I'll have as much help as I need.

Is this common? Or am I a lucky fuck for having handy friends?

I have a pretty good network for that stuff as well. I have a brother and a cousin who are electricians, a cousin who is a civil engineer and pretty experienced with concrete, a cousin and a friend who are welders (I can weld pretty well also but not a professional). We also have a friend who is a finish carpenter and a sheetrock taper. My sister is dating a plumber so we might bring that into the fold. We need to recruit a painter.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
bought this thing, its awesome
645bf956be2e380722574c122b660eb9.png

mulching bag is practically worthless with the amount of leaves coming off a tree. This makes it so i don't have to stop and dump every 5mins. i stated elsewhere, i just set my blower/mulcher on the driver floor turn it on, and then use the gas blower to blow all leaves towards it

iannis

Musty Nester
A rake and an old blanket or sheet accomplishes the same thing!

Granted, you don't get to play with a leafblower that way.

If you feel like scaring your neighbors get a metal trash can, fill it up with leaves, and light that shit on fire. Everyone within half a mile will think their house is burning down. Put a grate on top so that you don't accidentally your own house.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
A rake and an old blanket or sheet accomplishes the same thing!

Granted, you don't get to play with a leafblower that way.

If you feel like scaring your neighbors get a metal trash can, fill it up with leaves, and light that shit on fire. Everyone within half a mile will think their house is burning down. Put a grate on top so that you don't accidentally your own house.
What is this? Amateur hour? I put my leaves in a burn barrel with some speed holes and a leaf blower sized duct at the bottom. The flames reach a glorious 20 feet for a brief few blissful moments.

• 1Solidarity