Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Meh should have asked...I CAN cut this safely without ruining what I have done correct? Grass isn't going to rip out the ground?
As long as it's been germinated for three weeks or so it'll be fine, especially if the blades on your mower are new. If you see any grass laying down flat you need to mow asap.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hmm loo
Pics from my yard to give idea of size. It's the tree closest to my garage in question. There are actually three trees there. She questioned just one, which I found weird.
View attachment 276096View attachment 276096

View attachment 276098
Oh wow that does put it into perspective. Is the fence right on the property line? Because it looks like it's pushing into her yard. Unless the fence was built a couple feet off the line of course

Howd you get such nice grass Brahma? What seed did you end up buying?

I'm pretty close to killing my lawn and redoing it. It's super bumpy and not fun for the kids. Kind of want to grade it and redo

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Hmm loo

Oh wow that does put it into perspective. Is the fence right on the property line? Because it looks like it's pushing into her yard. Unless the fence was built a couple feet off the line of course

I'm pretty close to killing my lawn and redoing it. It's super bumpy and not fun for the kids. Kind of want to grade it and redo
Wait until late summer to kill and redo it. It's as easy as glyphosate/Round Up two weeks prior to seeding, cutting as low as you can with your mower (preferably bagging the clippings) and throwing out seed and lightly raking it in. Grading a lawn is another story. Unless we're talking a thousand square feet or less, you're gonna have a miserable time of it without at least a lawn tractor. It can be done, but not easily and not inexpensively. If it's only slightly bumpy then "grading" isn't necessary. You can use hand tools to fill in low spots with a mix of sand and compost (the more compost, the more the bumps will come back).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wait until late summer to kill and redo it. It's as easy as glyphosate/Round Up two weeks prior to seeding, cutting as low as you can with your mower (preferably bagging the clippings) and throwing out seed and lightly raking it in. Grading a lawn is another story. Unless we're talking a thousand square feet or less, you're gonna have a miserable time of it without at least a lawn tractor. It can be done, but not easily and not inexpensively. If it's only slightly bumpy then "grading" isn't necessary. You can use hand tools to fill in low spots with a mix of sand and compost (the more compost, the more the bumps will come back).
It's a 1/4 acre lot, so it'll be a big undertaking. I'd probably be hiring professional help, because knowing me I'd have dirt lot permanently.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Hmm loo

Not sure of the property line. The tree is bending the fence though. Not sure who owns the fence. I assume she does since she has the same fence around her yard. I just cant picture being told I am responsible for taking down a healthy tree so she can have a pool.

As for the grass. I bought a small tiller. An electric one. Took me 3-4 hours to till the whole yard. Another whole day to pick out grass and rocks. That was the hardest part. Another half day to rake pick up smaller rocks and debris. I was thorough. Another half day to smooth out the mounds the tiller made. Dropped the fertilizer and then the seed. Raked it in. That took an hour with a big ass leaf rake. About two days if you do it right.

Most of my yard is in shade. Used almost 2 bags of grass seed. I watered daily twice a day with that sprinkler you see, (also bought a timer)for an hour until the grass was about an inch. I then watered once a day. Now I water once every two days.

Here is the seed I used.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
It's a 1/4 acre lot, so it'll be a big undertaking. I'd probably be hiring professional help, because knowing me I'd have dirt lot permanently.

Not worth the cost of hiring someone in my opinion. They wanted almost $1500 for my yard. 1/4 acre? Jeez. 3k? Buy a good tiller, and at most you will spend 500 bucks for the whole project.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Not worth the cost of hiring someone in my opinion. They wanted almost $1500 for my yard. 1/4 acre? Jeez. 3k? Buy a good tiller, and at most you will spend 500 bucks for the whole project.
500 bucks and two days of hating life lol

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nice dude. I'll consider it. Gonna be a project for sure if I do it. One of those no going back type things

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If the roots are in her yard . . . hard to imagine you could claim she cant tear up your shit in her yard.

Cutting the roots out from under a tree can make it unstable or kill it. Even on your property, destroying roots of a neighbor's tree is almost always a huge no-no without a permit and consultation with an arborist. When I was in Atlanta it was a $10k fine in addition to rendering you responsible for the safe removal of the tree. (Source: My neighbor cut out the roots of three big oaks on my property while performing unpermitted excavation for a basement expansion. Trees fell down in a windstorm onto his property TL;DR - it cost him a LOT.)

Last edited:

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have any recommendations for a good garage wall organizing systems. Started cleaning out my garage and realized I have a shit ton of gardening tools. Need to get the shit hung up and out of the way.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any recommendations for a good garage wall organizing systems. Started cleaning out my garage and realized I have a shit ton of gardening tools. Need to get the shit hung up and out of the way.
I put up a 2x4 and cut some 2” pvc in roughly 4” lengths and cut one end at 45 degrees then remove the center section of the longest side. It works good for pretty much all long handled tools. Have some sand paper or deburring tool handy or be prepared to cut the shit out of yourself when you graze the points of the 45s.

I stupidly made these with a table saw but it was quick work. A safer approach would be a vice and a hacksaw.
775D2447-CA7D-4707-A976-AD10514BED48.jpeg
5C7C12F7-3CC6-48A4-9270-8CEA6D11282F.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the rubbermaid fasttrack system came w/ the house, but i'm happy with it

of course ppl glorify it with pretty picks
fasttrack-garage-organization-system.jpg

i'll upload a real use photo

Edit
20200607_222518.jpg

i try to have the gardening, driveway shit on it

i'm probably gonna buy basket to add on to it, yea it sounds stupid, but i really am just using hooks to hang up my PPE, heh

there are other systems that are half the price tho, the rubbermaid hooks and attachments are like double the price of a generic rail system. so while i wouldn't recommend the over priced rubbermaid brand, i would recommend some kind of rail organization where you can easily slip a hook on.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I present my muthafuckin grass!! Looks better cut!

I think I did OK!

aaaaaaa.jpg

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I present my muthafuckin grass!! Looks better cut!

I think I did OK!

View attachment 276428
Imo cut back the watering to twice per week for a total of 1.5” - any rainfall can offset (ie if you get 1/2” of rain you only need to supplement 1” of watering). Don’t fertilize again until it starts cooling off. Keep mowing as tall as your mower can go but don’t mow if there’s no rain or you’re not watering. Shaggy yards look better than yellow/dormant yards imo.

Edit: that corner in the top right of the picture may start to wilt and lay over as time goes on. Hard to tell with just one picture but that looks like some dense shade. If that grass struggles you can fight it by overseeding every season, but I’d recommend making a bed or natural area with mulch (around here pine straw beds are trendy).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Imo cut back the watering to twice per week for a total of 1.5” - any rainfall can offset (ie if you get 1/2” of rain you only need to supplement 1” of watering). Don’t fertilize again until it starts cooling off. Keep mowing as tall as your mower can go but don’t mow if there’s no rain or you’re not watering. Shaggy yards look better than yellow/dormant yards imo.

Edit: that corner in the top right of the picture may start to wilt and lay over as time goes on. Hard to tell with just one picture but that looks like some dense shade. If that grass struggles you can fight it by overseeding every season, but I’d recommend making a bed or natural area with mulch (around here pine straw beds are trendy).

Will do.