Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
why do I bag my shit if there isn't a bagger? Because I want to get the fuck out of there since I have more productive things to do other than to stand there like a smug asshole who's too good to do 60 seconds of "work" so I can stick it to big grocery.

jesus titty fucking christ
This. But I do self checkout when it's available for the same reason. I do not like people in general. Slow faggots always in the way.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The local grocery stores won't bag your groceries if you brought your own bags right now. With NY having banned plastic grocery bags as of 3/1, I don't have a choice.

I was always in the camp of helping bag to move shit along and get out faster anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Just today I was on the front porch smoking a cigar. Mail lady came through the circle drive to drop off a package. Honks her horn for me to walk over and get the package. PITA to walk with a cane with a cigar in hand and pick up a package LOL.

Siliconemelons

I shop at Publix, if they do not staff properly to make sure every line has a bag person - then it is not my fault. They are more expensive than everywhere else - it is service we are paying for... this is not a wal-mart self check out situation. If it is a self check out, sure, duh I bag my own crap... and I generally do choose self check out as not to bother with people.

100% of the time at Publix there is a manager standing there watching the lines - 50% of the time, THEY step in and bag - as they should, if needed. A line not having a bag person is a sign of a improperly run store in Publix's case, and I aint' pay'n for dat.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
why do I bag my shit if there isn't a bagger? Because I want to get the fuck out of there since I have more productive things to do other than to stand there like a smug asshole who's too good to do 60 seconds of "work" so I can stick it to big grocery.

jesus titty fucking christ

When I was in engineering I worked with a guy once who wouldn't do any manual labor. We did a vibration test and we had a shitload of test equipment up in the vibration facility. It was me, the guy in question, and another engineer from out of town that had a circuit board on our test. Me and the out of town guy started picking stuff up and the other guy was like "Why are you doing that, call the test assembly people, it's their job". We both kind of laughed but the guy was serious. The out of town guy said "This will take 10 minutes to pack up, it might be an hour before they show up, I'd rather just do it now". The guy said "I don't do manual labor. I didn't go to college to do that shit" and then he sat there and watched while me and the other guy packed everything up (in well under 10 minutes BTW). I couldn't believe it. I can't imagine wanting to sit and wait for an hour for some laborer to come rather than throwing a folding table and half a dozen power supplies and a couple oscilloscopes into the back of the truck and driving it down the hill.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
When I was in engineering I worked with a guy once who wouldn't do any manual labor. We did a vibration test and we had a shitload of test equipment up in the vibration facility. It was me, the guy in question, and another engineer from out of town that had a circuit board on our test. Me and the out of town guy started picking stuff up and the other guy was like "Why are you doing that, call the test assembly people, it's their job". We both kind of laughed but the guy was serious. The out of town guy said "This will take 10 minutes to pack up, it might be an hour before they show up, I'd rather just do it now". The guy said "I don't do manual labor. I didn't go to college to do that shit" and then he sat there and watched while me and the other guy packed everything up (in well under 10 minutes BTW). I couldn't believe it. I can't imagine wanting to sit and wait for an hour for some laborer to come rather than throwing a folding table and half a dozen power supplies and a couple oscilloscopes into the back of the truck and driving it down the hill.

I probably would have urinated on his shoes when everything was packed up.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ive got experience doing most of this stuff myself from the rental properties my family has, but I need help with the installs below. I dont want to grab any friends that are "handy" to help me do them cause I want clean installations without cutting any corners. I've got all the materials the projects will ever need, and properly fitted doors and windows, so I'm just looking for labor. I asked for some quotes from the really large companies in the area, but the quotes I'm getting from them for just labor are ending up around what I feel is fair for the entire install, labor & materials. What do you guys think I should be paying for labor on the following projects?

How much should I pay to install around 500 square feet of interlocking bamboo floors, with new base trim which includes one stair well?
How much should I pay for just a single frame exterior front door?
How much to replace 6 moderately small windows?
How much to replace two sliding exterior doors?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Ive got experience doing most of this stuff myself from the rental properties my family has, but I need help with the installs below. I dont want to grab any friends that are "handy" to help me do them cause I want clean installations without cutting any corners. I've got all the materials the projects will ever need, and properly fitted doors and windows, so I'm just looking for labor. I asked for some quotes from the really large companies in the area, but the quotes I'm getting from them for just labor are ending up around what I feel is fair for the entire install, labor & materials. What do you guys think I should be paying for labor on the following projects?

How much should I pay to install around 500 square feet of interlocking bamboo floors, with new base trim which includes one stair well?
How much should I pay for just a single frame exterior front door?
How much to replace 6 moderately small windows?
How much to replace two sliding exterior doors?
Unfortunately, with this kind of work you get what you pay for. Labor rates are gonna be not only dependent on your area but also the skill level, desirability of the work (how much of a pain in the ass is it to do), and schedule availability of the contractor. If you’re in an area with harsher winters you may find that rates decrease as the available work thins out in the slower season.

And not to put too fine of a point on it, but if you come off as being a pain in the ass customer during the quote, you’re gonna get higher bids as a polite refusal.

Vinen

God is dead
Ugg. Had to open about 8 feet of wall in the basement. Fucking stupid pipe was angled up and condensation would drip back into the house alongside the bottom. Thank god no serious mold issue. Easy fix but :blobrage:

Spent so much with this one contractor that he is going to handle it at like half cost as I helped him keep his employees paid during March, April and May (paid early for some work).

// Probably just going to take down the entire wall of that room and rerun electrical and insulate with foam
20200615_180931.jpg

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
lol - change my mind bro - I aint working for the damn store for free.... cost allocation of the products are reflective of proper staffing... if I got a discount to bag my own stuff - I would
It's a slippery slope to european style expectations of bring your own bag, bag your own groceries. We've all seen slippery slopes aren't myth, go look in politics or arson town thread.

If anything you're saving bag boy jobs.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Contractor is waiting for county permits to start. Will post pics as it progresses.

Still trying to figure out what to use to rebuild deck. Search has brought me to PV, Chigh-density polyethylene (HDPE), capped composite. Looking at Azec vintage collection and zuri decking for pvc. For HDPE looking at WearDeck and LumberRock. For capped wood polymer composite (CWPC) like Timbertech or trex.

I've heard pvc like azec scratches easier than capped composite 🤷‍♂️. Timbertech caps all four sides with polymer protectant, the idea being that it prevents moisture causing expansion and mold. Trex on the other hand only caps two sides claiming it's better for durability since it allows any moisture inside to escape. Finally, my neighbor to the property just did a bunch of decking in HDPE from WearDeck. It actually looked great. WearDeck is also located in Florida so I'd imagine they'd be pretty keen on making a product to fit the environment here.

Anyone here that's a serious decker that can give any input on the materials I've proposed or brands?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Contractor is waiting for county permits to start. Will post pics as it progresses.

Still trying to figure out what to use to rebuild deck. Search has brought me to PV, Chigh-density polyethylene (HDPE), capped composite. Looking at Azec vintage collection and zuri decking for pvc. For HDPE looking at WearDeck and LumberRock. For capped wood polymer composite (CWPC) like Timbertech or trex.

I've heard pvc like azec scratches easier than capped composite 🤷‍♂️. Timbertech caps all four sides with polymer protectant, the idea being that it prevents moisture causing expansion and mold. Trex on the other hand only caps two sides claiming it's better for durability since it allows any moisture inside to escape. Finally, my neighbor to the property just did a bunch of decking in HDPE from WearDeck. It actually looked great. WearDeck is also located in Florida so I'd imagine they'd be pretty keen on making a product to fit the environment here.

Anyone here that's a serious decker that can give any input on the materials I've proposed or brands?
Personally, I'd go with the local florida guys if you get a good feeling from them. They know how harsh the local environment is whereas someone that lives elsewhere probably can't even appreciate how wild it is down here.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Man. How awesome would a in deck hot tub be? Since the deck is elevated you could actually do it complete recessed. I'd prob put it in the middle and extend that part of the deck half length of hot tub out (thus no railing where hot tub is) to give it a sort of infinity pool feel. The view would be epic. Here's half of the deck now and a pick of a recessed hot tub. Mine would be on the side overlooking the land/river.

20200526_083634.jpg

Hot-Tub-Spa-Designs-10-1-Kindesign.jpg

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Personally, I'd go with the local florida guys if you get a good feeling from them. They know how harsh the local environment is whereas someone that lives elsewhere probably can't even appreciate how wild it is down here.
This is what I'm leaning towards. Neighbors WearDeck looked solid and it's in Ocala so I'm sure they're targeting Florida customers and marine environment here first. I've seen some pretty impressive marine docks on their FB page. It doesn't have as many first hand reviews floating around on forums but then again it's not something stocked at every lowes.. Gonna order some samples.

• 1Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man. How awesome would a in deck hot tub be? Since the deck is elevated you could actually do it complete recessed. I'd prob put it in the middle and extend that part of the deck half length of hot tub out (thus no railing where hot tub is) to give it a sort of infinity pool feel. The view would be epic. Here's half of the deck now and a pick of a recessed hot tub. Mine would be on the side overlooking the land/river.

View attachment 279753

View attachment 279754

A hot tub in Florida? Seems redundant, lol.

• 1EyeRoll

Siliconemelons

A hot tub in Florida? Seems redundant, lol.

Being in a hot tub is awesome, even in 100degree 90% humidity summers...and in the Florida "Winters"

Where I am guestimating his property is, mostly during the year he will actually see some cool nights and evenings - hot tubs are great.

• 1Truth!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Noticing some cracking in my deck. Some of these cracks are big enough that I can see the ground through them. It's probably nearing end of life being almost 40 years old. But we also cut down a tree that was shading it since the roots were getting into the leech field.

Anything I can do to keep these cracks from getting worse?
What should I do with the ones I do have? I was thinking of just filling them with wood putty and painting over it.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Noticing some cracking in my deck. Some of these cracks are big enough that I can see the ground through them. It's probably nearing end of life being almost 40 years old. But we also cut down a tree that was shading it since the roots were getting into the leech field.

Anything I can do to keep these cracks from getting worse?
What should I do with the ones I do have? I was thinking of just filling them with wood putty and painting over it.
Filling and painting will definitely extend the life. The crack will continue to get worse with raw wood exposed to moisture and direct sun. Not sure how durable the paint will be vs sealing but the paint will probably be more aesthetically pleasing if the wood is in disrepair. If you feel any particularly soft or spongey spots, dig out the rotted wood and fill it. Don’t just paint over it.

Edit: just wanted to add that 40 years is about twice as long as I’d expect an uncovered deck to last so whatever you do now is just delaying the inevitable. Replacing decking is pretty approachable as a DIY project and will save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars in labor. I replaced my deck boards about a year ago having never done it before and it looks great with no issues.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity