Home Improvement

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
20k for trex transcend decking, 21k for azek and 5k for pressure treated wood.

Fucking hate taking care of wood and stuff goes to shit but the azek vs trex debate is like ford vs chevy. Seems like there's pros and cons to each.

Fucker

Log Wizard
20k for trex transcend decking, 21k for azek and 5k for pressure treated wood.

Fucking hate taking care of wood and stuff goes to shit but the azek vs trex debate is like ford vs chevy. Seems like there's pros and cons to each.

get the wood

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
giphy.gif

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How many times will you have to replace the ruined wood (and deal with the hassle of replacing it) before it would have been better to go with synthetic? Will the wood last 3 years each time? 4 years?

Siliconemelons

4x the cost... ouch

Foler Foler - I kind of understand the dilemma - even if money is not an option, you still do not want to needlessly spend $$.

Because your talking 4-5k vs 20-22k - I would go with wood, spend the 4-5k, maybe even a few hundred more and have a really "good" seal etc. and just let it be...

few years down the line, be it 3, 4 ,5 or longer you then really have a specific to your situation, location, deck use and conditions etc. guide.

You will say, dang, 5k and this thing lasted 2 years and now looks like shit.. best to now spend the 20k and get the forever deck.

or, its 8 years later and the deck is looking...ehhh..maybe where it is now, not bad, not new, not perfect...and you go...eh time to spend another 5k for another decade.

edit: or you say, I hate splinters and having rough deck sex is a priority...then you spend the 20k

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
4x the cost... ouch

Foler Foler - I kind of understand the dilemma - even if money is not an option, you still do not want to needlessly spend $$.

Because your talking 4-5k vs 20-22k - I would go with wood, spend the 4-5k, maybe even a few hundred more and have a really "good" seal etc. and just let it be...

few years down the line, be it 3, 4 ,5 or longer you then really have a specific to your situation, location, deck use and conditions etc. guide.

You will say, dang, 5k and this thing lasted 2 years and now looks like shit.. best to now spend the 20k and get the forever deck.

or, its 8 years later and the deck is looking...ehhh..maybe where it is now, not bad, not new, not perfect...and you go...eh time to spend another 5k for another decade.

edit: or you say, I hate splinters and having rough deck sex is a priority...then you spend the 20k
Real up in the air because I may not be around to maintain it as needed in the future (may not live there). It's kind of a coin toss atm. Will trex last me 20+ years? Ok maybe worth it if so. Do we know for sure? From my research - nope. 🤷‍♂️

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Gonna buy a flag pole and fly the american flag on it. Any other flags worth flying?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like I'm replacing all my porch columns. Took all the railing off, there's a hole in one post, and most of them have some kind of splitting. I looked into saving them but the guys on reddit said that was dumb and just replace them, so I have a post jack being delivered tomorrow. Pretty worried that I'm going to fuck it up, but whatever, the videos looked pretty easy and it's something new.
How do you determine when splitting is a structural issue? My posts, especially the ones on the outside near the westward sun, have some splitting developing. I just spent all day power washing and sanding my deck, I'm pretty sure I'm going to replace it with something synthetic in 5 years instead of doing this shit again.

Dug out a bunch of rotted wood too in the railings, gonna fill that in with a few layers of resin. Unless there's something better? It's too deep for wood filler.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
How many times will you have to replace the ruined wood (and deal with the hassle of replacing it) before it would have been better to go with synthetic? Will the wood last 3 years each time? 4 years?

I think that's very pessimistic. The decks on my house were replaced like 6 years ago and they need resealing but nothing is rotting. The wood decks they replaced were 35 years old. I'm sure some people would have replaced them sooner but 3-4 years is ridiculous.

• 1Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think that's very pessimistic. The decks on my house were replaced like 6 years ago and they need resealing but nothing is rotting. The wood decks they replaced were 35 years old. I'm sure some people would have replaced them sooner but 3-4 years is ridiculous.

Wasn't meant to be. Foler mentions the conditions in Florida often and I wasn't sure if they effected the longevity that much.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Depends on a few things I think. Type of wood. Big difference in using redwood and southern yellow pine. Also from experience if it's in the sun helps a lot as long as you treat it every so often like 3-5 years. If it's in the shade it starts to rot out pretty fast cause it gets wet and then stuff grows on it and that holds the water. I've always used southern yellow pine and made sure it didn't have an overhanging branch and treated it every 3-5 years and didn't really have an issue. I did read recently redwood has been hard to get, just like a lot of stuff.

Douglas fir is some great clear wood, but I've never used it outside. The only douglas fir available in the south normally is it's used on the outer layer of clear face plywood and marine plywood for having to have lack of plugs.

The composite stuff was real popular for a while. Then it seemed to kind of taper off in use. I don't know if they had problems or everyone finally got all their wood stuff redone in composite. It's not as popular/hot as it was a few years ago. At least to me anyway.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
It's florida. The heat just warps the boards hardcore and wetness molds then/rots them. I've replaced boards in the past that only lasted 4-5 years. No one lives at the house full time (i will for a period) which also makes continued maintenance/care not as easy.

Maybe it's the kind of wood? I mean we got pressure treated lumber and put it on the deck then refinished and stained it. Maybe it would have been more ideal to stain each individual piece prior to putting on deck so you're not just doing the top 🤷‍♂️

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Wasn't meant to be. Foler mentions the conditions in Florida often and I wasn't sure if they effected the longevity that much.
I mean conditions are brutal - long summers that are hot/humid with rain every afternoon. How much that affects wood I don't know.. Im still learning.

Ideally this property will be to the point where it's pretty updated, hands-off other than annual maintenance and a place I can lone out to friend's families or friends who just need to grt away for a little while.

One downside to composites that Ive seen is they scratch. Trex seems to be the most scratch resist, azek behind it.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Depends on a few things I think. Type of wood. Big difference in using redwood and southern yellow pine. Also from experience if it's in the sun helps a lot as long as you treat it every so often like 3-5 years. If it's in the shade it starts to rot out pretty fast cause it gets wet and then stuff grows on it and that holds the water. I've always used southern yellow pine and made sure it didn't have an overhanging branch and treated it every 3-5 years and didn't really have an issue. I did read recently redwood has been hard to get, just like a lot of stuff.

Douglas fir is some great clear wood, but I've never used it outside. The only douglas fir available in the south normally is it's used on the outer layer of clear face plywood and marine plywood for having to have lack of plugs.

The composite stuff was real popular for a while. Then it seemed to kind of taper off in use. I don't know if they had problems or everyone finally got all their wood stuff redone in composite. It's not as popular/hot as it was a few years ago. At least to me anyway.
First article I pulled up lol.

Screenshot_20200801-083255_Brave-01.jpeg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Use longleaf pine if you can find it, you won't though. Mostly turpentine is what makes it last forever. The treated wood is not the same as it used to be as well. I think it was the arsenic that was taken out, just not the same anymore.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Use longleaf pine if you can find it, you won't though. Mostly turpentine is what makes it last forever. The treated wood is not the same as it used to be as well. I think it was the arsenic that was taken out, just not the same anymore.
You're not selling me on wood my man 😬. Thinking of doing a 20k coin toss on this one. At least ill be the forum guinea pig for when the next person asks composite vs wood decking.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Septic guys came out this morning to replace lid (its an old concrete block tank) and fix drain line.

Looks like entire tank is compromised.. part of wall missing and other wall buckling. Awesome. Currently it's right in front of house. To install a new one to code id literally have to move it 100 ft away due to well nearby. Thinking fuck getting a permit and just putting the tank/drain line right in front of house where it currently is.

Edit - company owner got back with me. They're just gonna rebuild the concrete block tank because the permitting would be a fucking nightmare. There goes another thousand. Better than 8k+++ for an elaborate septic system

Last edited:

Voldethlj02

Trakanon Raider
I'm not handy at all so I really don't belong in this thread, but I put in a deck last summer that's a composite. We shopped around a number of contractors/brands including Trex and Azek and found that there was a new version of Trex that doesn't use a fully thick board but has some hollowed out grooves so it doesn't use as much material but is still plenty strong to support a deck. Quotes for the normal Trex/Azek were around 25k and using the slimmed out Trex ones it cost about 15k.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Need a new lawn mower as the 40v electric I was using in Jersey isn't going to cut it (see what I did there?) in florida. I have about 1/4 acre mostly grass, any recommendations? I'd like to avoid a rider as I don't have the storage space right now + cost, and don't really care either way on electric vs gas

• 1Like